Moms Choose Baths over Kids

We asked stay-at-home moms and working moms what makes them truly happy--and both say it's being ALONE! Read on to find out what really makes mom tick... cause it certainly ain't the kids!

happy_mom.jpg
This week, Newsweek features an article that says kids don't necessarily make you happier. We polled over 700 moms on that very subject...and it opened our eyes to how moms really feel.

What were the top things that made moms happy? Not their kids!

1. Taking a bubble bath alone, surprisingly (or not surprisingly, depending on how you look at it) got the most votes.

2. Working out and going on a family holiday tied for second.

3. Getting a massage and going out on a romantic date with your husband or partner tied for this spot.

4. Playing with my kids tied with spending time by myself doing nothing. Interesting?

5. And the fifth most popular answer to what makes moms happy? Sleep!

Now that we figured out what made moms happy, we were curious who was actually happier: working moms or stay-at-home moms. We were shocked by what we discovered.

Keep Reading...

about_the_experts.jpg

next: Get Jada Pinkett Smith's Look for Less!
maria July 2, 2008, 2:39 PM

The moms who say that their kids don’t make them happy probably got knocked up on purpose to keep a man…sad. My kid is the most important thing in my life, alone time, going to the bathroom by myself, and taking a shower without a 2 year old audience just doesn’t happen anymore and I don’t even want to go back to the days when it did!

SHADOW July 2, 2008, 2:41 PM

GUESS THAT CONFIRMS MY PERSONAL RESEARCH NO TIME FOR “THAT SEX THING” SHOWS HOW MUCH OF A “NO PRIORITY” WOMEN GIVE IT. WONDER WHY GOV. SPITZER WENT ASTRAY. WOMEN WAKE UP BEFORE SOME SWEET YOUNG THING STEALS YOUR MAN!

Lucky SAHD (stay at home dad) July 2, 2008, 2:43 PM

I am a SAHD who has a wonderful life and enjoys spending time with SAHMs. I have found many SAHM to be kinky, fun loving, wild and ready to play. When I first became a SAHD 11 years ago, I had no idea what extra pleasure was ahead for me.
I enjoy summer because my children and I have time to play and spend time with friends, family and other SAHMs. I really enjoy back to school time as I can connect with SAHMs for breakfast, lunch, sometimes drinks (in moderation) and afternoon sex.
Yep, there are a lot of SAHMs that want a break from their children and their husband. Many want attention and many want wild, crazy, kinky sex.
Surveys are not always good at giving an accurate picture of reality.

Heidi July 2, 2008, 2:47 PM

Shadow - What are you ranting about? You have a hand don’t you?

Lucky SAHD - Using your children to get sex - PIG

Allie July 2, 2008, 2:47 PM

I think it all depends on what people want in their families and what they value in themselves. I know some SAHMs who have no clue how to raise kids and think that pumping them full of sugar before bed is ok. I’ve met some working moms who come straight home and do all the “mommy” things. I’ve met SAHDs and working dads that have no clue what they’re doing or know exactly what they’re doing.

I find that being a SAHM is really nice. My son spends two hours everyday at his grandma’s so that I get some alone time and I go out with friends who are other SAHMs and need some time without the kids. Every night my husband helps me with the house and helps wash dinner dishes. I have an e-bay store so I do work and and bring in about $300 extra a week. It may not be much, but it’s still money. My husband makes good money so every weekend we go on a date! I enjoy being a mom and my family (not just my son!) makes me extremely happy! My life is complete when I’m home with my hubby and our baby and we’re watching The Lion King for the 200th time that week! It all depends on what kind of parent a person wants to be and what a person values in their family. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting some alone time. An to the person who said “When the ring goes on the gates of Heaven close” you are mistaken. We have a great sex life. But, we also waited until later in life to get married and have children! So, who knows what it all is! A study done on 100 women doesn’t calculate how the rest of the women in the world feel…

SHADOW July 2, 2008, 2:58 PM

YES AND WOMEN HAVE A JOB..SO WHY DO THEY NEED BOTH PAYCHECKS? WOMEN ARE NEVER TOO TIRED FOR “THAT SHOPPING” THING!!

Heidi July 2, 2008, 3:05 PM

Shadow - just something to think about…. if a woman was really worried about holding on to her man, would she continually refuse him sex?

Madeline July 2, 2008, 3:05 PM

I’m a working mom and I love my kids very much but I love to have some alone time just for me.

Pam July 2, 2008, 3:08 PM

I can’t say I agree with this study. I love being a SAHM and my kids like it and that includes 2 that are teenagers. Yes, I do run them and their friends around but they will have great memories. We like to do things as a family. Am I a perfect parent…no. My house is not spotless by a long shot and I am not one of those moms that think she knows it all. Far from it. It is a choice for each family to make whether to stay home or not. And yes our sex life is great! You can’t forget to make time for each other. It’s important for the kids to see that you value your relationship with your spouse.

Kimberly July 2, 2008, 3:11 PM

Nothing has ever made me as happy as my children! No one makes me laugh, cry, excite as much as my girls. Once a month a tho, you have to go out and have a blast. Seriously. Given the choice of never having children…are you kidding?!! They’re my reason for living!

SHADOW July 2, 2008, 3:11 PM

HEIDI: WHY DON’T YOU ASK GOV. SPITZER’S WIFE SHE THOUGHT HE WAS HAPPY WOMEN ALWAYS DO UNTIL THEY ARE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN!

kuly July 2, 2008, 3:11 PM

Children ?
Not for me, to each it’s own, just not for me. This prooves it again that they do not created happiness at all in marriage and life.

Emme July 2, 2008, 3:12 PM

Why have children if they will be just in the way of your “happiness”. I don’t think that is fair. If you want being alone most times, then, forget about having children. We bring them into the world because we like to have and enjoy them and the responsibility that goes with it.

Oh my who and what are these women who say they prefer to do something better than be around their kids to enjoy? Oh wow!! And they complain about having problematic children. Hey it all begins at home OK?

METOO July 2, 2008, 3:14 PM

HEYYYYY,IM A STAY AT HOME MOTHER OF ONE,,,,AND I LOVE PASSION AND SEX,,,MAKING LOVE ROCKS!!!! WHO SAYS MARRIED PEOPLE DONT HAVE SEX???? THATS SO CRAZY,,,,WE MARRIED WOMAN ARE SEXUAL DINAMOS!

METOO July 2, 2008, 3:17 PM

Im a at home mom and i love sex and passion …who says woman dont want sex??thats crazy..

Anonymous July 2, 2008, 3:17 PM

guess I really felt a need to respond to your statement. I’m going to do a little more judging. Here it goes - men as fathers are fun and sometimes tough. Though there are some really great daddy’s out there, I have yet to see any daddy that actually holds together a house and the “needs” of their children in the same fashion that women, working or not, can. I can leave my husband at home with the children and when I return he is in awe of why I get so stressed, “that was easy” he says. Meanwhile, dishes and laundry are piled, the kids’ rooms are disasters, etc. Watching kids is not hard when you are not doing all the things that actually are associated with watching kids. You have no idea what it means to be a mother, there is so much more to it than hanging out with your kids and their friends. _____
THAT is SO TRUE. same thing here-hubby leaves his mess and our child’s, after he’s “watched” her-he can’t even habdle watching her, let alone the constant picking up and chores on a daily basis. They rarely get it-it takes a special guy.

misty July 2, 2008, 3:18 PM

I am a SAHM and i love my daughter but all i really want is to be able to shower and go pee by myself. Even if i only get that alone time once a week the difference is amazing!

Heidi July 2, 2008, 3:19 PM

Shadow - I understand what you are saying, but women know that sex is extremely important to most men. I don’t give my husband a hard time about it mainly because I love him, I know it is important to him and even when I am really tired, I want to make him happy and he respects me in return when he knows that I am seriously not in the mood. And you are right, sometimes women are like deer in headlights when their man leaves them. Oh well, live and learn, I guess. But if a woman doesn’t love her husband enough to make small “sacrifices” for him, than I guess she doesn’t deserve him.

Beth July 2, 2008, 3:20 PM

Stay at home moms have more sex because they are not tired from being out of the house all day. Working moms have to get up and do all of the morning stuff, go to work all day, come home and make time to play with the kids before dinner and bath and bedtime stories. Since I am a teacher I have my summers off and I have lots more energy at night during those off times from my job. It’s SO hard to be a professional and do all of the housework, child care jobs AND just playing with the kids. It so tiring.

Trea July 2, 2008, 3:23 PM

I myself am a SAHM of four kids, ages 6,8,11,& 13. I can honestly say that I do need a few hours to recharge at the end of the day (esp when school is out) and sometimes I find myself wondering how life would be without the kids. But in the end, I have decided that motherhood IS the highest calling anyone can have. Our world needs more God-fearing leaders who are willing to make a change in our society, whatever direction that they go as adults. And no matter how many times I have to break up an argument between my daughters, untangle fishing string my son wraps through the house, or play catch with my littlest, I remember that the time I have with them is short, and every moment I spend with them contributes to their eventual adult life. I think the poll is misleading. What needs to be asked is to the mothers of adult children…was it worth it all? I believe we know the answer.