Moms Choose Baths over Kids

We asked stay-at-home moms and working moms what makes them truly happy--and both say it's being ALONE! Read on to find out what really makes mom tick... cause it certainly ain't the kids!

happy_mom.jpg
This week, Newsweek features an article that says kids don't necessarily make you happier. We polled over 700 moms on that very subject...and it opened our eyes to how moms really feel.

What were the top things that made moms happy? Not their kids!

1. Taking a bubble bath alone, surprisingly (or not surprisingly, depending on how you look at it) got the most votes.

2. Working out and going on a family holiday tied for second.

3. Getting a massage and going out on a romantic date with your husband or partner tied for this spot.

4. Playing with my kids tied with spending time by myself doing nothing. Interesting?

5. And the fifth most popular answer to what makes moms happy? Sleep!

Now that we figured out what made moms happy, we were curious who was actually happier: working moms or stay-at-home moms. We were shocked by what we discovered.

Keep Reading...

about_the_experts.jpg

next: Get Jada Pinkett Smith's Look for Less!
B July 2, 2008, 3:25 PM

YES…TO BAD FOR THEM. I LOVE BEING A MOTHER. IT IS VERY HARD SOMETIMES BUT WELL WORTH IT TO SEE THEM BECOME WONDERFUL YOUNG ADULTS…WOULD NOT TRADE IT FOR ANYTING IN THE WORLD BEING A MOTHER!

Laurie July 2, 2008, 3:26 PM

Oh my. I was a mother who was home for years. I lived in a neighborhood where all the other mothers were also at home with the children. During the school year I was a room mother who came to every party with cupcakes or whatever the teacher needed. I accompanied them on every field trip. I was able to participate in all of their sports activities, working in the snack bar, fundraising and transporting not only my children but all of their friends wherever they needed to go everyday. My children were born into a family with pets, dogs and cats who enriched their lives and helped to make them the compassionate young men they are today. I might also add that every friend they ever had always wanted to be at our home and to this day, they still have the same friends. Was it a hard job, yes, but it was a job that I made the decision to do the day I became pregnant, a job that will reward me until I leave this earth. I now have a new granddaughter who is 11 weeks old. I watch her several hours a week and hope to for many years to come. Until she was born I was missing my days as a mom, taking care of the little details that make a childs life. I have had a job outside of my home for many years but the best job I ever had or ever will have was raising my children.

dee July 2, 2008, 3:28 PM

I’ve never understood the stay at home moms that whine on how hard it is to clean the house,tc of kids,cook,spend their husband’s money. I feel sorry for the husband.He’s the one that is burdened with the responsibilty.He has to worry how to pay for the house,feed and clothe everyone,etc,plus listen to all the bitching! No wonder there is more windows out there than there is widowers.The SAHM shorten their husbands’ life span.

ksmi July 2, 2008, 3:33 PM

How interesting that the labels are “SAHM” and “working mom.” The labels seem to imply that SAHM don’t work and working moms do nothing after they get home.

Heidi July 2, 2008, 3:36 PM

Dee - let me guess! You were a working parent of one child and that child was with a sitter and/or grandparent 70% of the time…..hmmmmm

Heidi July 2, 2008, 3:42 PM

ksmi - so true.

I have done both and currently, I work outside of the home and then the second shift when I get home. Together, my husband and I have 5 kids. We both work and he works when he get home also. But he works away from the kids in the garage and I am stuck trying to tend to all the kids and cook and clean and listening to the whining, the stories, the fighting, the jokes and looking at the pictures they drew and chasing my four year old around the house making sure she doesn’t get in trouble, all while trying to keep one shred of sanity. Both jobs are hard, end of story. Anyone that doesn’t understand that is not a true mother.

painteddragon July 2, 2008, 3:52 PM

Why does everyone insist on bashing each other? I personally am a 22year old SAHM who admires mothers who can juggle an out-of-house job and her kids. I have a two year old little girl, i have spent EVERY minute of her life with her since the day she was born, and yes, she drives me absolutely bonkers. I love her. I am torn though, I grew up with a SAHM and absolutely loved it, but I also still would like to have a job outside of child-rearing. I can’t imagine missing things in my childs life just because i went chasing the big bucks rather than sitting at home, but i also know that if I try to do this SAHM thing for much longer i will get completely burned-out. In summary, KUDOS to the working mom and KUDOS to the SAHM…you all made decisions that fit YOUR lifestyles and families.

BCS MOM July 2, 2008, 3:57 PM

some moms like getting bent over by black men…pounded hard then they go back to their husband..

Anonymous July 2, 2008, 3:59 PM

I’ve got one thing to say to sum it all up… All you women out there just need another woman in your life. Forget the men!A woman knows what a woman wants and that will make you happy all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

NDAngel76 July 2, 2008, 4:29 PM

I am a “Working” mom and just to let you know I would give anything to stay at home with my 2 boys. It would be a little easier because I go to work then I come home and do all the “Mommy” things too. Clean the house, cook dinner, baths, teeth, play, bed. By the end of the day I am so exhausted and I’m still not done. There’s laundry, dishes, and some time just for me. yes I love my boys very much. I love spending time with them, they are 3 and 5 and they have something new to show me every day. I only wish I could afford to stay at home with them so I could be there every time they come up with something new and exciting. Watching children discover the world is the most amazing feeling. I dont’ understand these mom’s who regret having children. I would give my life for mine. However on the other hand we women have to remember that our children are only with us for a time. Then they go out on their own. Your husband will be with you, hopefully, for the rest of your lives. You need to keep that relationship alive so that you know what to do with each other when the kids are gone!

Kyle July 2, 2008, 4:30 PM

Being a business owner has taught me to take the good with the bad, I just never realized how much my wife did with the child as I was usually busy trying to provide a nice life for the family. My wife passed away several months ago and I have full time custody 24/7. I love my boy so much and realize just how much she did while taking care of the child. Unfortunately, I`m 45 and the prospects don`t look good for finding another loving mother & wife in northern PA which is the no. 2 retirement state. It`s impossible to move, due to all my clients being here. :( I can only hope I do a good job in providing the proper love & support for my boy. Kyledddc@aol.com

AJM33771 July 2, 2008, 4:33 PM

Seems like these are bar/club sKankS in the making lol I just want to be ALONE! thank you very much lol they are in tra-booo

Kym  July 2, 2008, 4:36 PM

My kids make me very happy. I feel bad for those Mom’s that don’t enjoy their kids.

Heidi July 2, 2008, 4:38 PM

Kyle - I’m sure you will do fine :-)

Anonymous July 2, 2008, 4:42 PM

I stay at home with two young kids. I work at my own small home business and I can only do very little since it is very hard to focus. My kids demand my attention most of the time. I don’t blame them because being kids mean curiosity and learning all the time. Thus, I see it as growing up all over for myself. I do involve the kids in doing chores, so I think they also learn important skills. Sure, some alone time is great and I think everyone likes that. I don’t see my kids or husband judging my work status. My husband works, but he supports my decision. Sex is good. Later, when both kids go to school full time, I will be able to work outside. Well, they said that woman married man who reminds her to her father, so why not man married someone resemble his mother? Parents are the first social contact/learning for kids and it should be easier to interact with people who are similar to their parents.

Twinzn2girlz July 2, 2008, 4:47 PM

I am a SAHM of 2 daughter’s 8 and 5 and 16 month old boy-girl twins.
Being a parent is the hardest job there is, it is a 24/7 job with no time clock to punch at the end of a shift, there is no sick days but the reward of seeing your child take his or her steps for the first time or say his or her first word is something you can’t get back.
It is also a reward to watch your child grow and see them live life with the values and morals that you have instilled in them.
I don’t think badly of the mom’s that choose to work, because I did work when my daughter’s were younger. My oldest daughter was also abused at a daycare center. That was enough for me to make the choice to stay home along with the birth of our twins.
I gave up a management position but in retrospec, I am the manager of our household.
My husband may bring home the pay check, but I am the chef, the school bus driver, the taxi, the maid and the nanny,bug slayer, healer and miracle worker all in one.
Some days are harder then others so I don’t understand why some people take offense that mommies would like alone time.
It is not like we are neglecting the kids to have alone time, it is a bubble bath. A little slice of time to be an adult and unwind. A little away time to remove the mommy hat and just be a woman.
I love my kids and they come first and foremost in our lives but in order for me to be a good mom, I also have to take a little time for myself and be ok.
I think alone time with your partner is just as important. Isn’t that how you got those little babes??? :o)

Laurie July 2, 2008, 4:48 PM

It sounds as though everyone of you need to read Erma Bombeck. She puts it all into perspective.

Julie July 2, 2008, 4:56 PM

I don’t understand; so…if men
cheat on their wives (basically,
because they have no character or
fear of God), it’s because their
wives were…WORKING? Oh, please,
ladies. Give me a break. You people
are so naive. Men look at other women,
and want to be with them, because of
hormones, and because our society says
that’s it’s okay. MY husband told
me that he WAS cheating because I
WASN’T working! So…..my fellow
readers, what category does HE fall into? Oh, ladies; wake up, and smell
the mineral water, will you? Don’t
ever stop working, cuz’ you never know
when Mr. Right will turn into a
doberman pincher.

disneytwink July 2, 2008, 4:59 PM

I’m a working mom, and somedays I would love nothing more then to come home and have a little down time before I face my children. I think alone time and time with your husband are very important for both you and your children. A woman who feels like a woman is a happy mom, a woman who is stressed and in need of love and affection can not possibly give back to her children as she should. I’m right now starved for both alone time and affectin and I can see how it effects my ablitiy to realte to my children….

milflover July 2, 2008, 5:16 PM