Moms Choose Baths over Kids

We asked stay-at-home moms and working moms what makes them truly happy--and both say it's being ALONE! Read on to find out what really makes mom tick... cause it certainly ain't the kids!

happy_mom.jpg
This week, Newsweek features an article that says kids don't necessarily make you happier. We polled over 700 moms on that very subject...and it opened our eyes to how moms really feel.

What were the top things that made moms happy? Not their kids!

1. Taking a bubble bath alone, surprisingly (or not surprisingly, depending on how you look at it) got the most votes.

2. Working out and going on a family holiday tied for second.

3. Getting a massage and going out on a romantic date with your husband or partner tied for this spot.

4. Playing with my kids tied with spending time by myself doing nothing. Interesting?

5. And the fifth most popular answer to what makes moms happy? Sleep!

Now that we figured out what made moms happy, we were curious who was actually happier: working moms or stay-at-home moms. We were shocked by what we discovered.

Keep Reading...

about_the_experts.jpg

next: Get Jada Pinkett Smith's Look for Less!
NU July 2, 2008, 6:58 PM

Frankly, this survey sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I absolutely adore my son and have to peel myself away from him every morning to go to work. I would kill to be able to stay home with him. I took a long leave when he was born, so I have an idea what it’s like to be a SAHM, and yes it’s trying at times, but nothing is harder for me than not spending time with him during the day. Having a child DID bring the meaning to my life that never existed before and I AM happier now than I’ve ever been before. I don’t understand women who don’t adore their children, and I honestly don’t think that they should be mothers.

mike July 2, 2008, 7:34 PM

See women cheat too, not just men.

michele July 2, 2008, 7:41 PM

I’m a working mom and share 50/50 custody of my 10 yr old son. There’s nothing I cherish more than my time with him. As for Ann Landers’s question, in hindsight the only thing I would do differently is not tell his father I was pregnant. My son is my savior. I’m 40 and never been married, if I didn’t have him I’d be a basket case by now, being single & childless. You could say he DOES complete me.

Anonymous July 2, 2008, 7:45 PM

I am a stay at home Mom. I have heard so many comments from “friends” who tell me how much “time” I have to do the volunteer work they are too busy working to do. I have “time” to run the carpool and how much easier my life is because I have so much extra time.
My husband and I have a deal, he works and pulls in the paycheck and I take care of everything else. I am not stuck with anything. I chose to stay home as soon as we could afford it. Our way works for us but it might not work for everyone. I was blessed with one child and can’t have another. I bless my husband everyday for working so hard so I can have every precious moment I can with her. However, the occasional nap/bath is pretty nice too. I guess the key is “do what works for you and your family” forget what others say or you find yourself mired in guilt and resentment. I’m working on the resentment part if you can’t tell from my first paragraph. :)

ANTHONY July 2, 2008, 7:58 PM

I LOVE the kinky moms especially, and all of this information can be wrapped up by the fact that stay-at-home moms have a bit more time to get the extra rest that working moms just can’t fit into their schedules !

Give a woman a bubble bath break, a massage, at least a week-end a month get-away to play with the kids, one dinner a week outside of the home with the hubby, followed by a sleep-in of an extra two hours the next morning and all of you husbands will get what YOU REALLY WANT: “kinky sex”. It sounds like a pretty good trade off to me !

ANTHONY July 2, 2008, 8:01 PM

BY THE WAY, if all of you moms post this eariler suggestion of mine on your husbands’ bathroom mirrors and they don’t respond then figure out a way to get a hold of me and I’ll see what I can do to motivate them. leed333@aol.com

Martha July 2, 2008, 8:03 PM

Sahm get bored being around kids all day and not having anyone to talk to, but it is where they belong. No one else should raise your kids but you

Not A Missy Fan July 2, 2008, 8:03 PM

Wouldn’t you love to have a mommy like Missy. She works every day, goes to shool at night and wow, spends an hour with her kid on the weekend. Perhaps everyone should ask what will make their kids, husband and themselves happy. What happened to “there is more happiness in giving than receiving?” I will say that Missy does understand egocentrism. Good for you, bad for your kid that is being raised by someone else. Oh, but you do give him toys. Your child will always have fond memories of toys and possessions that rot away. Please reconsider what you are focusing on. Ask yourself, what do I want my kid to say about me at my 80th birthday? My mom was really successful, but had little time for me, or my mom showed me true love and sacrificed some material things to be with me. Maybe your child will focus on you in your old age, or will he just be focused on higher education, things and himself. You get to help him decide now.

Hiddnhippie July 2, 2008, 9:15 PM

Shadow! Bro!
Calm down dude!Married women want to have sex. just not with the guy they married.Trust me after a couple of my own there is some rich guy out there “bangin’ on Heavens Door” In nature, the female chimp will ALWAYS swing over to the tree of the male with the most banannas.Human females should be tatooed at birth,right over thier crotch,”For sale to the highest bidder” cuz there’s always going to be a guy with more$$$ Married or not,working or not they’re ALL THE SAME.If she’s not doin you ,she’s doin someone. Try lookin at her male “friends”. My promise to you- It’ll be the one with the most money-until one with more comes along.

kelly July 2, 2008, 9:27 PM

WOW…I am stund at the comment from ANNABT.TO say that it is not worth the heartache and responsibility.I am a working mom of 3 boys age 10,13,15.I completely disagree with the Ann Landers survey.I would absalutely do it all over. I lost 2 children before birth and fought to carry 2 of my three.The rewards far outway the heartache.The responsibility is something that comes with motherhood and being an adult.I also feel that it is very important to have a little time for yourself and your spouse or partner.Kids learn a loving healthy relationship by watching those that are around them , if you are unhappy they will see this.It doesn’t matter if you work or not.I spent time as a stay at home mom as well.The key is to find a way to be happy.A well rounded parent makes a well rounded child.

Kate July 2, 2008, 9:38 PM

I’ve done both. Worked for many years and stayed home when we reached 3 kids, retired in 1995. I much prefer staying at home but found it really difficult to make the transition. SAHM’s have to cultivate a network of other SAHM’s and playdates for their kids, otherwise it just looks easier and easier to return to work. It took me three tries before I could stay home for good. Making friends for yourself and your kids, dates with your partner and taking time for yourself are the keys. No one should judge someone else for their choices and for all the working mom’s out there - DO NOT feel conflicted! I know plenty of working mom’s whose kids are really adjusted and doing well with their families’ choices. You have to be true to yourself!

Momof4in24 July 2, 2008, 11:10 PM

I love being a SAHM. I wouldn’t trade having my children for anything in the world. I think they missed the mark on this one. “Moms Choose Baths over Kids”
I can easily take a nice long bath after the kids go to bed! You actually can have both. Sad that the women’s movement has pitted women against each other. Being a full time parent is a JOB, a very important and rewarding one.

Anonymous July 3, 2008, 4:55 PM

I think most of you should be shamed for your comments. Since when did everything else…especially “ME” time become more important than raising a family. Why would you WANT to go back to work when you have children at home. I think society has changed into a selfish one. Women used to get fulfillment from the WORK thy did in the home. If you feel that way then you should NOT have children. Don’t rob them of their childhood just because you want a career and a family all at the same time. I think it is sad that people don’t get rujuvinated by a hug, kiss, or reading a story with their kids. Maybe people need to change their frame of mind and start enjoying things that are meaningful in life rather than enjoying the things of the world, empty things.

Anonymous July 6, 2008, 4:23 PM

Let’s see how all of you women would vote when the job is finished (raising kids) whether stay at home or working mom. Your total years are not in yet and many of you have many more years to go before you reach 60 and can judge those years. Hind site is always 20/20.

Katie July 7, 2008, 10:52 PM

A year ago I started the adoption process on four boys (siblings) ages 21 days, 11 months, 2 and 4 years old. I also quit my job and started a business on the Internet so that I could stay home with the kids. They had already lost their parents and been shuffled through multiple foster homes, so I felt they needed the stability of a stay-at-home mom. Days are spent taking care of the kids. Then after they go to bed, it’s work time until the wee hours of the morning.

Being a single mom to four kids under the age of 6 is tough. In fact, it’s a whole lot tougher than I ever anticipated! I have to admit, there are times when I want to run to my room, close the door, and enjoy some quiet time without four kids clamoring for my attention. However, those times are few and far between. I love being a mom! The past year has been the best year of my life and I wouldn’t change it for anything!

Only 63 more days to go until the adoption is finalized and they are permanently and forever MINE!!! I can’t wait!

Kimberly Dorsey August 13, 2008, 3:35 PM

I think that you have to keep the responses made by the SAHMs in the article in perspective. You may love chocolate, but if you had been eating it every day for a week and someone offered you some, you’d probably pass on it. I’m a SAHM and I love my kids desperately (they are the funniest, sweetest people I have ever known), but if I get more than enough time with them. So, if someone asks what I’d like to do with my time, of course I would pick something that I don’t get to do very often - like take a nap or have a quiet afternoon to myself. It doesn’t mean that don’t love my kids or love being a SAHM (there’s nothing else I’d rather do). Why must we make women seem like bad mothers just for saying that they’d like a break?!

Nike Shox NZ June 8, 2010, 12:40 AM

We have got taken a look at plenty associated sorts created by website distinctive,so my partner and i was how’s things to allow them to swiftly which have almost all blogkeepers up-to-date look at internet casino being contaminents,outside email will most certainly be not necessarily, we not unlike read you are portable,in addition , anyway i better feel chuffed and furthermore has the ability to find a certain method all new,and additionally soundest consideration your fun net seeing as onr of the best ones i have read before,thank you for sharing your thinks and so good articles.by Nike">http://www.nikeairmaxsneakers.com”>Nike Shox NZ

Nike Shox NZ June 8, 2010, 8:57 PM

We have create quite a lot brought out possible choices of web logs completely different,moreover explain to here’s intro to help them swiftly that a great deal of blogbusiness owners most suitable gardening be enjoy being worthless tabs,yet unfortunately email are often different than, we wish ought to firm website,as well the actual safest definitely feel comfortable .

alan August 12, 2010, 6:37 PM

it’s perfect ,the quality of the shoes are quite good ,I feel very satisfied,and i will introduce my friends to purchase the shoes on this website!

Cost To Repaint A Car November 25, 2010, 12:25 AM

Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter.