Sherri Shepherd's Abortion Confession

The View host elaborates on her controversial comments.

In the new issue of the black Christian women's magazine Precious Times, Sherri Shepherd said she's "had more abortions than I would like to count." Her rough past includes a drug addict sister, whom she often had to rescue from crack houses, a physically abusive boyfriend, and incredibly low self-esteem. "I felt if someone killed me, it wouldn't even make a difference," she said.

But after she found God, all that changed. She said she relied on on her faith to get through her divorce from Jeff Tarpley, father of their 3-year-old son. Tarpley reportedly cheated on her and got another woman pregnant.

Since her statements have gone public this morning, a media firestorm has ensued. But she says her abortion quote didn't give the full story. She elaborates on her controversial statements on The View:

videogonebutton.jpg

Do you think Sherri should have discussed her abortions publicly, or kept them private?

next: Play Our Modern Day See 'n Say
Anonymous July 23, 2008, 4:14 PM

she should just shut up. it’s one thing to create controversy, it’s another to be ignorant. The view should boot her.

Diana July 23, 2008, 4:28 PM

If may be freeing for someone else to hear that confession that feels guilty or shameful about what they have done. We are always being watched by others whether we are celebrities or not.

Nikki July 23, 2008, 4:29 PM

I don’t think that everything should be public knowledge. However, I wont judge Ms. Shepherd for opening up about her life. If she is o.k. with it, then so be it.

Anonymous July 23, 2008, 5:22 PM

But is the earth flat?

foxymama July 23, 2008, 6:04 PM

I agree - she needs to ZIP IT.

Jordan July 23, 2008, 6:28 PM

What a hypocrite!!!!

Anonymous July 23, 2008, 7:21 PM

I don’t understand why they have Sherri Shepherd on the show. Each time she says something new (first that the earth might be flat and now this..), she just sounds so unintelligent and so uninformed. It’s really sad.

Susan July 23, 2008, 8:27 PM

I think Sherri Shepherd should have kept her 10, 20, 30 abortions to herself. Too many to count???? Doesn’t she realize that for her to see her babies in Heaven that she would have to be there too? Whoopie was right, judgement day will come and then that is when Sherri will have to face what she has done.

Jessi July 23, 2008, 9:46 PM

Susan - there is such thing as forgiveness so who are you to say that she won’t be in heaven. So what if she had ‘too many to count’… she is remorseful now and she will have to face God although I imagine with God being a merciful God, she will be in his favor. I’m not one to say right or wrong for her to talk about it publicly but if her story makes one woman feel that she can be forgiven for a past sin… then I think she’s done a good thing.

Lisa July 23, 2008, 9:55 PM

That was the sickest thing I have ever heard. She said that some lady told her ” Sherri, when you get to heaven all your babies are going to be there saying Hi Momma”. HOW SICK IS THAT!

Abortion is not birth control! I used to like Sherri, but after that, I have lost all respect for her.

Use birth control in the beginning, so you dont have to have abortions.

Kate July 23, 2008, 9:55 PM

I don’t understand why you are calling her ignorant. what is she ignorant of? And what gives you the right to judge her actions? Yes, I believe that abortion is murder, but you know what? That happened before her life changed. People CAN change, and that does not make them hypocritical. Anyone who has experienced God knows that He can make a change in your heart. Thank God that He is the one who will judge us in the end. If Sherri truly has made a change in her heart, then God will forgive her, despite the judgment that she receives from you people.

It was her business to share, and I hope that it was encouraging to young women who have felt shame for things that they have done in their past. Don’t forget that those abortions, despite the fact that she is forgiven, will haunt her for the rest of her life. Making that information public was probably not an easy decision. I applaud her for her transparency.

Kelley July 23, 2008, 10:10 PM

In my adult life I have learned that you never know how you will react to something until you are presented with it. You may think you know, but I can tell you, you don’t. Don’t be so quick to judge someone else’s decisions and actions (especially from their youth) until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

SOPHIA OSEI-OWUSU July 24, 2008, 7:47 AM

WELL, I THINK SHE DID THE RIGHT THING BY COMING OUT TO CONFESS.IT WELL SERVE AS AN ADVISE TO THE YOUTH NOT TO GO IN FOR ABORTION

April July 24, 2008, 8:35 AM

Maybe she should use her past experiences as a catapult for abortion awareness? I wonder if she’s ever considered counseling women who are considering an abortion? I’ve never had an abortion, but I volunteer at a local pregnancy center, counseling and praying with young women who think they should have an abortion.

I don’t judge Sherry for confessing her past sins - we’ve all sinned in some form or another. But I do think it’s sick that she thinks those babies will be waiting for her, saying “hi mama.”

Price July 24, 2008, 8:47 AM

Are you kidding me? I can not stand when people use the excuse that Jesus forgives as a means to do anything they want. Jesus forgives, but that doesn’t mean you can run wild all over the place. You are supposed to strive to live in a way that brings glory to God. It makes me sick to think of how many abortions she possibly had. All her babies will be in heaven saying “hi mommy why did you murder me?”

Anonymous July 24, 2008, 10:25 AM

The best is Elizabeth Hasselback’s face! You know she’d be begging Jesus to save Sherry if he hadn’t already.

Newsflash, Joy. People don’t talk about the abortions they’ve had because it is shameful—as it should be. Whether you’re pro-choice or pro-life, no one thinks abortion is cool. It’s hardly an accomplishment to go bragging about no matter how many times you’ve mastered it.

I’m with Whoopi, if Sherry’s made her peace with her maker, good for her. We should all be so fortunate.

Kate July 24, 2008, 11:07 AM

Price, I do not think that Sherri was using God’s forgiveness as an excuse to live wildly. She was obviously lost at the time that she had all of the abortions. Did you not read the beginning of the story? Of course Christians should live in a manner that is glorifying to God, but why would she do that before she knew God? I think that her talking about the freedom that she has found in Christ and his forgiveness IS glorifying God for the change that he made in her heart.

Anonymous July 24, 2008, 4:04 PM

This is a decision that she has to live with and no one else. Because there are so many judgemental people that are out there I think it would have been wise of her not to say anything. It is a shame how people are so quick to judge another person yet they don’t have it in them to see the wrong in their own life.
I get what she is trying to do and why. Unfortunately not too many others will.

Price July 24, 2008, 8:49 PM

Yes I did read the beginning of the story. I am just so tired of all kinds of people (celebrities in particular) playing the Jesus card. People who constantly behave any which way buy holy. I am no one to judge, but she put it out there. I just don’t think any one should be praising her for what she did or acting like “la ti da” about it as if it doesn’t matter.

Anonymous July 24, 2008, 11:54 PM

All your babies are going to say hi murderer, you are not a mama you are a nasty lady how instead of closing your legs you used abortions as birth control. Nasty lady!