Suri Hits the Bottle

We're not here to judge, but isn't it about time Suri gave the bottle a rest?

suricruisebottle.jpg

It's not like we're accusing Katie of not doing her job, but in every picture we see of Suri Cruise, she's STILL clutching her "ba ba." Although, since Suri's going on 2 1/2, she's likely not talking baby talk anymore-- so why is she drinking out of a baby bottle? Is this normal toddler behavior, or is Suri so freaked out by the constant attention of the paparazzi she's already got a drinking problem?

Pediatrician and momlogic contributor Dr. Cara Natterson thinks Suri might have a hard time giving up her bottle now that she's older, "The issue with trying to get a child weaned off the bottle has more to do with ease than anything--a 1-year-old is often much more willing to try a new cup than a 2-year-old.

And dentists like kids to switch too, says Dr. Cara. "They like to have the bottle gone before the second birthday  too...not because bottles cause buck teeth (they don't) but because  the rubber nipple plus the sugar in the milk or juice in the bottle  can equal tooth decay."

Ready to wean your child?  Here's how Dr. Cara did  it:
"I transitioned my own kids just after their first birthday--they kept  the morning and night bottles but only got sippy, straw, or open cups  during the day. Once they mastered cups (within a few weeks) we traded
out the last two bottles."

What do you think: When should a toddler put down the bottle and raise a sippy cup?

next: Mamma Mia! Get This Look for Less!
Momof4_TX July 8, 2008, 5:10 PM

She might be freaked out from wearing identical clothing as her mom! Okay…that’s just a joke!

All 4 of my kids were bottle free before age 2.

Okay…as a side subject…has anybody seen the new “Chuck E. Cheese” commercial? There is a little girl in a high chair that is either Suri Cruise or a look alike. Very cute baby, just wonder if anybody else noticed…

Tiffany July 8, 2008, 5:38 PM

If she wants it why not let it her have it? What is with the wierd timelines people have to put on bottle drinking.

Tara July 8, 2008, 5:46 PM

I think it’s weird how huge the bottle is- I didn’t even know they made them that big.

Cptjenway July 8, 2008, 5:47 PM

My oldest was off the bottle a little after 1 and #2 was off the bottle at like 6 months, of course she is breastfed so that makes a difference but she would take a bottle of breastmilk after about 6 months, cups only if it doesn’t come from the boob.

And yeah, I think they need to get her off the bottle.

Kate July 8, 2008, 5:51 PM

Umm, by writing this, you’re judging. Simple as that. This is why moms have so much guilt these days! Don’t bother prefacing with “we’re not here to judge”…

Jennifer July 8, 2008, 7:55 PM

My son was off the bottle at one year old when he switched to sippy cups. I think it’s strange for a two and a half year old to still be sucking on a nipple. Just my opinion.

Crystal R July 8, 2008, 10:00 PM

Being on a bottle at this age can cause buckteeth, and if she’s using it at night then that can cause decay. Any pediatrician should being telling Katie to get her off the bottle now! Mine was telling me to get mine off at age 1.

LaurakimA July 8, 2008, 11:30 PM

My daughter still has a bottle - only at night tho and she is 4!

I am possible lazy but is the only comfort she has so I am not about to force her let it go!

I agree with Tara too tho - that bottle is abnormally huge!

Claire D July 9, 2008, 2:11 AM

I think that Kate is wrong, they werent judging anything at all…rather just stating a fact and asking the opinions of others…but in response, i think its time to say good-bye to the bottle. Any easy transition would be to switch to sippy cups during the day and maybe a pacifier at night, or when she gets fussy.

Anonymous July 9, 2008, 2:59 AM

“I am so tired of LAZY parents these days! She probably sleeps in the bed with them also.”

Co-sleeping has nothing to do with laziness.

Kristy July 9, 2008, 8:43 AM

my son was off the bottle at 14 months..but, its Kates child, not mine. Everyone has a right to raise their child as thay please. Each child is different, its not fair to judge that Kate is a lazy parent and not doing her job. Obviously, Suri is not ready yet.

Crystal R July 9, 2008, 8:55 AM

LaurakimA, the bottle is the only comfort she has? What about the comfort of having a loving family? What about the comfort of being in a warm and safe home? I’m sure the bottle isn’t the only comfort she has. I’d like to see a child holding a blanky or a stuffed animal rather than a bottle or a binky (especially at age 4). Also, I hope that night bottle you give her only has water in it. If not, you should make sure her teeth aren’t rotting- take her to the dentist.

April July 9, 2008, 9:33 AM

My son was off the bottle by 11 months - his choice. My “time limit” was 12-14 months. I don’t consider the bottle a comfort thing. I consider it a bad habit after a certain age, and 2 1/2 is too old to need a bottle.

Anonymous July 9, 2008, 9:39 AM

Letting your kid sleep with a bottle increases colds, ear infections and rots out their teeth. You’re insane and not thinking as a mother if you’re letting your child, at any age, sleep with a bottle. You’re the boss, not your kid. Take control and take the bottle. I’m tired of people blaming the situation on a child not wanting to do something. Hello? THe last I checked, YOU were the adult, not the child!

Leigh July 9, 2008, 11:49 AM

Must agree that sleeping with a bottle is bad for teeth. Really bad. But what I find interesting is that she doesn’t really need to be, basically, eating all the time. Or drining. Or consuming something unless she is actively hungry/thirsty. Mealtime is for eating, drinking is water that you ask for and drink and give back. 2.5 is old enough to not need to consume milk or juice all the time, whenever they want it. However…in the long run, like 25 years down the road, it won’t matter.

Anonymous July 9, 2008, 11:54 AM

Get that big cow off the bottle!

Anonymous July 9, 2008, 2:08 PM

My son was off the bottle just before one, he actually threw it down and refused to take it anymore. The ped was trying to encourage me to wean him off it at one anyway, so it was perfect. 2 1/2 is way too old for a bottle, in my opinion. There are sippy cups. I really hope that’s nt formula in there. On a side note, how bad must it be for that baby’s eyes with all that hair in them? Cut her bangs, you can’t even see her little face.

Anonymous July 9, 2008, 3:38 PM

on my sons 1st b-day i toke it away and he hasnt had one since

Anon July 9, 2008, 9:58 PM

Suri is a bottle baby

Chris July 10, 2008, 6:05 AM

I think it’s none of our business whether she drinks from a bottle or sleeps in their bed.