Suri Hits the Bottle

We're not here to judge, but isn't it about time Suri gave the bottle a rest?

suricruisebottle.jpg

It's not like we're accusing Katie of not doing her job, but in every picture we see of Suri Cruise, she's STILL clutching her "ba ba." Although, since Suri's going on 2 1/2, she's likely not talking baby talk anymore-- so why is she drinking out of a baby bottle? Is this normal toddler behavior, or is Suri so freaked out by the constant attention of the paparazzi she's already got a drinking problem?

Pediatrician and momlogic contributor Dr. Cara Natterson thinks Suri might have a hard time giving up her bottle now that she's older, "The issue with trying to get a child weaned off the bottle has more to do with ease than anything--a 1-year-old is often much more willing to try a new cup than a 2-year-old.

And dentists like kids to switch too, says Dr. Cara. "They like to have the bottle gone before the second birthday  too...not because bottles cause buck teeth (they don't) but because  the rubber nipple plus the sugar in the milk or juice in the bottle  can equal tooth decay."

Ready to wean your child?  Here's how Dr. Cara did  it:
"I transitioned my own kids just after their first birthday--they kept  the morning and night bottles but only got sippy, straw, or open cups  during the day. Once they mastered cups (within a few weeks) we traded
out the last two bottles."

What do you think: When should a toddler put down the bottle and raise a sippy cup?

next: Mamma Mia! Get This Look for Less!
sandra kao July 10, 2008, 7:55 AM

it’s funny because someone in a people magazine editorial adamantly wrote that babies should be rid of their bottles by the age of 1. we tried that with our first son and had such a hard time doing so (he wouldn’t drink milk at home for at least 6 months!) that we are letting our second son use his bottle still even though he’s 20 months old now. in the world of raising toddlers, it often comes down to what makes everyone happy so that mom and dad don’t go insane. so to each his own!

sabrina July 10, 2008, 8:38 AM

My daughter is 3 1/2 and we barely got her off the bottle,into sippy cups. She refused the sippy cup right off the back, I no want it she said” I no like it. Now mind you I have 8 kids all mine, She has been the most difficult one to deal with, personality etc. I just conquered Potty Training” She was also the longest in diapers. I thought I would never stop buying them” I think cause we really spoiled her she was the baby, And we had that we want to keep her happy, and whatever she wants we do it attitude, I know thats wrong, But she has siblings from 24,22,21,19,17,11,10 When the others were old enough to work and do things on there own they would get her what she wants or wanted” The spoiling factor,
I think Suri one day will give it up ! I am sure of this I dont see adults doing it, And the world will go on like alway’s I am sure she is Really Well Taken Care of”, I am more worried about gas prices…lol :)

FrankieB July 10, 2008, 9:05 AM

Live and let live. Everyone has their way of raising their children. To each it’s own. Some children is off the bottle at and early age and some are not. That does not mean the parent is lazy.

Deb July 10, 2008, 9:36 AM

I am more freaked out about all that hair in Suri’s eyes than a bottle. Give the kid a trim!

Marlene July 10, 2008, 9:37 AM

It’s okay if she needs a bottle now. She’ll give it up when she is ready.

Now why does Katie dress her and Suri in like outfits?

Patti July 10, 2008, 12:08 PM

I think any age is a bad age for the bottle. I have 4 kids, their were all breast to cup babies. Yes, I breastfed them until they were close to two, the youngest, just over 2, and they slept with us too. Then again, they were also born at home.

G-d made women to give brith and feed their young, why should we defy nature?

Momof4_TX July 10, 2008, 12:37 PM

In reference to Patti….

Breast feeding is of course recommended, but not all women can do so successfully…sad but true.

I tried desperately….but my son was a large baby (9lb 7 oz) and he stayed hungry. Every hour and a half…he wasn’t getting enough and jaundice set in. The nurse at his check up seemed relieved to hear I would switch to formula. I think it would have been a tragedy for me to continue trying to nurse him out of guilt because “bottle feeding defies nature”

He is currently 12 yrs old and taller than I am….please don’t give new mothers an unnecessary guilt trip.

Patti July 10, 2008, 4:01 PM

Reply to Momof4_tx. That is why is is called feeding on demand. Some babies need to eat that often. How wonderful that a mother is forced to take a break and breastfeed, even if every hour. They grow up so quick, and the truth is, very few people can truly NOT breastfeed, most of them talk it into themselves, or are not willing to give it the time it takes. All babies are different and get hungry at different times. They even tell adults, small meals every couple of jours is healthier than 3 larger meals a day. A baby is guided by instict, and then adults come and take their natural born instinct of survival away from them. I don’t like pacifiers either, it is healthy to cry sometimes and let the lungs expand. Most babies don’t just cry for the heck of it, something is usually wrong with them. They are hungry, wet or hurting and need comforting, not shut-up, which is what a pacifier is.

krika21 July 10, 2008, 4:24 PM

Isn’t there more interesting things going on the world beside a 2 year old taking a bottle. GET A LIFE PEOPLE

Anonymous July 10, 2008, 4:29 PM

I’m more disturbed by their matching outfits.

Sara July 11, 2008, 8:28 AM

Seriously guys, if the only thing that Katie Holmes has to worry about while raising Tom Cruises kid is if shes on the bottle to long then she will be doing great!

Anonymous July 11, 2008, 3:08 PM

Has anyone seen Shiloh Jolie-Pitt
with a bottle?

Miranda July 11, 2008, 6:41 PM

To patti and momof4, i agree some kids won’t breast feed my daughter wouldn’t no matter what I tried. I tried it for a week, giving her sysriges of formula as a supplement so she wouldn’t get used to the bottle. She would just scream the whole time I tried, and it got to the point it wasn’t worth the stress on both of us so we put her on the bottle.

Joan July 12, 2008, 10:42 AM

Both of my kids were off of their bottles by 13 months of age. Katie and Tom are gonna have serious problems with her having tooth decay.

Niki July 12, 2008, 11:24 PM

Until you have walked a day in her shoes, people shouldn’t judge. My son has severe food allergies and cannot take anything with the exception of formula. He’s 2 1/2 and only a few months ago let go of his bottle. He wouldn’t give it up and it was the only thing he would drink his formula in, so I really didn’t have much of a choice. People may have looked cross-eyed at the situation; much like it seems some have looked at Suri; but he is healthier because of it.
By the way, the bottles that Suri uses are so that there is no air in the bottle.

Susan July 15, 2008, 1:25 AM

As it happens, my son kept his bottle well into his second year. I was going through a divorce and weaning him (and then potty training, ugh) was extremely difficult. Eventually his pediatrician told me to let it go. She said something I will always remember: All kids are different. They develop mentally, emotionally and physically at their own pace. These guidlines for when to wean, when to potty train, when to use regular table food … they are just that - guidelines! You go with what works best for your child, what helps your child to grow and develop at their own pace.
Words of wisdom from a pediatrician and mother of five that I took to heart and have worked well my my children. And it must work because last year (third grade year) my son tested at 164 on the I.Q. test his school administered to determine his placement in advanced classes.
Oh, and he has great teeth!

Kelli July 15, 2008, 1:31 AM

In response to Patti’s posts

It seems to me Patti that you are the kind of mother that enjoys passing judgement on other mothers if they are not doing things exactly your way. I think perhaps you should lay off. There are a lot of women that cannot breastfeed, and not because they talk themselves out of it. What mothers need is less guilt and more support so start supporting the mother around you instead of tearing them down, please.

Noreen Petersen July 16, 2008, 2:30 PM

OMG!! All you women are sooooo judgmental! Would you like it if someone told you how to raise your child? I agree with Chris.. Its none of your [explicative] business!

Anonymous July 18, 2008, 5:46 PM

BOTTLE BABY!!!!!

Julie - Mama to 5! July 20, 2008, 10:57 AM

I think it’s a little old to still have a bottle @ 2 1/2 yrs old. BUT, its a personal choice! If Suri were’t a famous child it would still happen and we would never know about it at all. What would we have to chat about?

And I agree with the pp, babies were made to breastfeed, its just a little harder for some babies to learn as its equally as difficult for some mothers to trust their bodies and put the baby top the breast for the necessary amount of time to build up a supply! Sad, but true. However modern conveniences has also made it possible to just give them a bottle instead of a boob!

Pardon my typos… my baby is gettig the boob, so I am typing one handed. :)