Suri Hits the Bottle

We're not here to judge, but isn't it about time Suri gave the bottle a rest?

suricruisebottle.jpg

It's not like we're accusing Katie of not doing her job, but in every picture we see of Suri Cruise, she's STILL clutching her "ba ba." Although, since Suri's going on 2 1/2, she's likely not talking baby talk anymore-- so why is she drinking out of a baby bottle? Is this normal toddler behavior, or is Suri so freaked out by the constant attention of the paparazzi she's already got a drinking problem?

Pediatrician and momlogic contributor Dr. Cara Natterson thinks Suri might have a hard time giving up her bottle now that she's older, "The issue with trying to get a child weaned off the bottle has more to do with ease than anything--a 1-year-old is often much more willing to try a new cup than a 2-year-old.

And dentists like kids to switch too, says Dr. Cara. "They like to have the bottle gone before the second birthday  too...not because bottles cause buck teeth (they don't) but because  the rubber nipple plus the sugar in the milk or juice in the bottle  can equal tooth decay."

Ready to wean your child?  Here's how Dr. Cara did  it:
"I transitioned my own kids just after their first birthday--they kept  the morning and night bottles but only got sippy, straw, or open cups  during the day. Once they mastered cups (within a few weeks) we traded
out the last two bottles."

What do you think: When should a toddler put down the bottle and raise a sippy cup?

next: Mamma Mia! Get This Look for Less!
Jen July 20, 2008, 2:40 PM

OK, Listen…..
It is not up to society or anyone else to decide what is right for each of our children. I am so tired of hearing all the BS about this family. They cannot do ANYTHING right in the eyes of the public! The bottle is a normal 8 oz. playtex bottle, the type with the liners. I do think that at her age she should be on a cup, but who is to say that she isn’t using one??? How do we know that while at home she uses a cup, but while out in the public, shopping, and doing whatever they do, she has the bottle to keep from having too many spills. They seem to be very active and out doing a lot, so she is probably using it for that reason. Maybe she does like the bottle and it makes her feel a little better while being CONSTANTLy followed by cameras and the public watching her every move! I know that my oldest 2 kids were off of their bottles by a year old, but they had blankets that I was always told they needed to give up as well. They are now 15 and 18, and are awesome NORMAL teenagers. Actually, they are better than normal, they are exceptional. I also have 2 younger kids, ages 5 and 7 yrs. They both use sippy cups still when at home, because I don’t like to keep cleaning up spills. At school, they use regular cups. The schools have tile floors, my house is carpeted. My choice, not anyone else’s. The younger 2 kids are also special needs kids, not mine biologically, but mine every other way. They appear “normal”, but have several delays. I cannot tell you how many rude comments that I have gotten while out in public, whether it be on their behavior or some other thing, it really boils down to, IS IT YOUR BUSINESS??? How does this affect YOU or your family? Leave poor Katie and her child alone. They are beautiful and hopefully doing just fine. They seem happy, and really in the end isn’t that the whole point? The goal is to raise happy, healthy, productive people, and it looks like Tom and Katie will be doing that just fine. All those who want to judge others for their parentinmg, better take a long look at yourself. You may be the one lacking!

gragusa@mail.com July 21, 2008, 10:39 AM

Oh my aren’t we a precarious bunch? Whos to say what is right or wrong, Suri looks like she is ready to conk out in that picture. Kids that age are prouably more ready than not, to give up the 3 things that make them babies. The bottle, the diapers, and pacifiers. The bottle shoudn’t be too hard, but when first starting, I would agree for early mornings, and putting down for naps, let it be. Until, little by little, they get the jist of the sippy cut, and the cup, and straw, then cut it back to just the evening. Pottie training is tied in with this, since being given fluid by bottle only increases the need to go, more frequently. So the diaper should go off about the same time early mornings definite times when we are going, the baby should be training with either the pottie or the toilet, the pacifier should also make it’s way to near by drawer. It isn’t always easy to convince stubborn little minds, that these binkies must go, but they must. And if you watch “Nanny” she has a couple of ways helping children to deal with this old friend not being anythere anymore. In this day and age, there are explanations for everything.

JustOneMommy July 21, 2008, 5:52 PM

Ok I do like the idea of dressing alike, Mom & daughter; but personally I don’t like the outfits. As for the bottlefeeding at 2 1/2…hopefully that isn’t an all the time thing. Maybe she does use a sippy cup for juice and water and only the bottle for milk. That could just be milk not formula. I really hope not formula at 2 1/2. Well I’m sure she will outgrow the bottle by the time she gets to kindergarten! But I agree with others that it probably isn’t going to hurt her except maybe tooth decay. My son is 5 months old and I am already letting him get used to a sippy cup holding it, because I plan on only doing bottles at night when he is 1. Oh and for the co-bedding comments, I’ve read lots of articles about how co-bedding is very good in the early years, it promotes brain growth and builds self-confidence. I have co-bedded with my son for about 4 1/2 months of his 5 months of life so far and I really don’t think anything is wrong with this.
As for the comments about breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding. Breastfeeding is definitely better nutritionally and financially. But it isn’t easy…at least at first. It takes alot of patience and alot of self-motivation to get past the first few weeks to succeed. It wasn’t easy for me at all. Quite frankly it was pretty painful in the beginning and hard because my son was hungry all the time. I was exhausted from being in labor for three days with no sleep and then have this very hungry baby trying to latch and eat on very sore and tender breasts. Ouch! But I was so determined to give it everything I had. I had to do the “tube by breast” in the beginning with the formula because he was so hungry crying all the time. Almost gave up a few times. But glad I stuck it out those early hard weeks. Now here we are 5 months later and I am still breastfeeding and I am so proud and blessed that I did it. It is such a beautiful way for mother and child to bond together.

sblondon July 22, 2008, 12:14 PM

I agree. Age two and a half is way to old to have a bottle and Somebody please cut those child’s bangs!! I feel soo bad for kids that have their hair in their eyes! Let them see the world!! Does Katie think this is a fashion statement? I hope not!!

PATTY July 23, 2008, 2:39 PM

Okay, Katie, time to get Suri off the bottle. You don’t want her still sucking on a bottle when she goes out on her first date.

Angela July 23, 2008, 7:33 PM

Why is everyone so judgemental, especially of celebrities? No, it’s not a good idea for a 2 1/2 yr old to still have a bottle, nor a pacifier for that matter. Unfortunately, if you wait too long getting them off of it, gets harder and harder. For the record, neither of my kids had bottles or pacifiers once they turned 1. Give Katie a break. That little girl is not going to be sucking off a bottle when she’s an adult. Also, for the record, it doesn’t matter what kind of cup it is in, having anything other than water at night is bad for your teeth. No one knows if Katie is working on it or not. All moms don’t have it easy. Parenting is the hardest job there is. We need to rise up and be supportive of each other, not judgmental.

Denise July 24, 2008, 1:18 PM

I think that she should have been off by the time she was 2. Maybe she needs to get the hair out of her eyes so she can see that it’s not a cup that she’s drinking from! :)

Mom in RI July 29, 2008, 2:02 PM

My pediatrician had me intoduce a sippy cup at 6 months, my son just played with it at first but picked up on it quickly. He would have water from it and was still being nursed/bottle fed until he turned 1 and I switched him to milk. We did it cold turkey and he has been completely fine. I think it is easier to take something away before the child can actually ask for it. That way moms don’t feel so guilty saying no.

Maureen July 31, 2008, 11:58 PM

I have twins and one has Trisomy 21 and has to be on the bottle because of swallow issues and therefore, the other child wants what her sister wants. How do I explain she cannot have it? Also, therapists do not recommend sippy cups for other reasons -those are for the mother’s convenience, not the child’s benefit. Some babies still cling to pacifiers. So, Suri may be delayed in one area but thriving in others. Let’s not be too hard! She is clearly loved.

Amy August 5, 2008, 7:31 PM

All my kids were off bottles by 2 and right before I weaned them off, I would put nothing but water in them but I know other kids who still had them. With all there is too worry about in this world, who cares how long the kid has the bottle? However, on a side note, cut that poor kids bangs so she can see!!!

Angie October 5, 2008, 12:07 AM

A lot of moms keep their 1st child a baby for way too long. It isn’t really abnomal. But cut that hair! That’s horrible for the child’s eyes to have that hair in her face. She’ll need glasses before she’s even off the bottle.

angela March 12, 2009, 10:53 AM

i can not believe that someone would say that anyone is a lazy parent because there child sleeps with them or that they still have the bottle after a certain age.My child is two and a half and still sleeps with both of his parents and is just starting to come off his bottle.and for a fact iam not a lazy parent!!!!