Measles Outbreak Scares Moms

Are unvaccinated children to blame?

measles_story1.jpg

The U.S. is experiencing its worst measles outbreak in 11 years with the infection of 127 people in 15 states, Reuters reports. The outbreak began when people became infected while traveling abroad. Upon their return to the U.S., they spread the disease to others, most of whom were not vaccinated.

The CDC has not received reports of any deaths in this outbreak--but affected regions include Arizona, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New York, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin, Washington state, and Washington, D.C. Travelers were infected with the measles while visiting Switzerland, Israel, Belgium, Italy, India, Germany, China, Pakistan, Russia, and the Philippines.

With the rise of autism, some parents feel the innoculations are more dangerous than the illnesses they prevent, so they opt to skip them.

But Momlogic pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson warns that this could make this measles outbreak turn into an epidemic. "The MMR vaccine protects against three diseases: measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles)," she says. "The main concern about measles is the risk of brain infection: it is estimated that up to 1 in 1000 children with measles will have this severe complication which can be fatal."

"All three of these illnesses--all caused by viruses--were once commonplace. Occasionally, there would be outbreaks when tens of thousands of people became infected. Epidemics of these diseases still occur in countries outside the US where the vaccine is not available. If enough people in this country choose to be unvaccinated, epidemics could return here as well."

Do you think unvaccinated children are to blame for this measles outbreak...and are these kids a risk?

next: Kyra Sedgwick's Sagging WHAT?
Mary July 16, 2008, 10:19 AM

Roslyn Hogan, annonymous and concerned mom,
I love you. Thanks for your common sense input. This still is America. If people believe in herd immunity let them join a herd.

Mary July 16, 2008, 10:22 AM

Roslyn Hogan , annonymous, and concerned mom. Thanks for your comman sense comments. This still is America. If people want herd immunity, let them join a herd.

Larissa M. July 16, 2008, 7:47 PM

WOW, I find it amazing that out of all the one’s I have read thus far not a single person yet has said they have made the choice they made off of doing research of there own, in either direction. Find out why you are making the choice you are making, is it because you researched your choice or because it’s easier to go with the majority so as not to be different?
I have 3 children, my first 2 I had vaccinated because I was young and didn’t know I could make my own informed choice, my 3rd I did not vaccinate and am confidant in that choice.
I have such hatred towards the medical industry, pushing meds because of how much $$$$$$$$$ they make off of these vaccines and medications being pushed!!
(research that one too)
My 3rd baby had severe acid reflux whadaya know the Doc prescribed 2 meds, both of which made my baby scream in pain with horrible gas, I went to an all natural health store, picked up some probiotic powder to add to one bottle a day and instantly my baby’s acid reflux was gone along with gas and burps, this stuff was not only fixing the problem but also NO side effects and it’s good for you, so you see “Doctors” prescribe something in hopes to fix a problem and of course cause all kinds of others (side effects), THEY ARE NOT HERE TO MAKE US HEALTHY!!!!! We have to do that on our own!!!! See a naturalist, be proactive, DO research, don’t just go with the norm.
My sister has 5 grown children, the 1st of which was the only one that was vaccinated, he has severe ADHD, all other 4 unvaccinated children are healthy. I have 2 vaccinated, the 1st has mild tourettes the 2nd mild OCD, my 3rd non vaccinated is fine thus far.
Do the math,read statistics, THEN AND ONLY THEN SHOULD YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE YOUR CHOICE REGARDING YOUR CHILDS HEALTH AND THE RIGHT TO VOICE YOUR OPINION, AT LEAST THEN IT WILL BE AN INFORMED OPINION, THEREFOR RESPECTED.

Jessica July 22, 2008, 3:16 PM

My husband and I made the informed, educated choice to not vaccinate our daughter. I read books, joined groups, read documentation provided by the CDC, spoke with the pediatrician and spoke to parents whom had vaccinated and not vaccinated. After this exhaustive process, the decision to not vaccinate was made. Of all of my friends children, ours is the only one who has not been ill, no ear infections, stomach viruses, or antibiotics thus far.

I would suggest that all parents do more real research on what is injected into their children. Most parents do more research on buying a new appliance or car than they do about vaccines. Don’t just rely on the CDC or the Dr. as both do not have your child’s best interest at heart like you do.

Anonymous July 31, 2008, 1:27 PM

I’m sorry, but many people know little about vaccines, how they work, or the diseases they protect against.

First of all I’d like to say that vaccines in no way can cause autism. The idea is that thermisol, used to keep a vaccine from expiring or becoming contaminated with fungi or bacteria, contains mercury with is a neurotoxin. This is true to an extent, but few people looked past this and see that this mercury is ethyl-mercury, which is out of the infants system in four days. Because mercury damages the brain by bio-accululating and causing damage, there isn’t enough time for it to cause damage!
Numerous studies have been launched, and excluding a few that spit on scientific method, ((Anyone who cites Dr Wakefield will be laughed at)) most come to the same conclusion. There is NO way a vaccine can cause brain damage. ((Remember that no matter how decisive something is, some scientists will disagree.))

And when you look at autism itself everything becomes clear! The reason children “become” autistic isn’t because they were given a vaccine, it’s because that is what autism does. It’s called Autistic Regression, a child will be well and then suddenly and spontaneously go backwards. In thousands of children vaccinated and not this happens usually around a year to a year and a half old. It also happens to be when the MMR vaccine is given! In other words, it is coincidence.

But, now that that rant is out of my system, I think I’ll address what this topic is really about. The real problem with not vaccinating your children is that it puts everyone at risk. Yes, vaccines work most of the time, but are not 100% effective. When exposed to small amounts of a virus it can work well, a few children may still get sick a year but it’s fine. Now, when you have a hundred uninoculated children in a city, and the strain is introduced something completely different happens. Instead of one child getting sick and seeing the doctor, suddenly there are hundreds. The constant exposure causes both vaccinated and unvaccinated children to fall ill. Doctors get overwhelmed, and children die.

Measles is dangerous, it is deadly, and it is very contagious. When someone chooses not to get their child vaccinated they put everyone at risk. We are headed to a worldwide epidemic because people don’t bother to look past the propaganda and do their own thinking!

Emily January 8, 2009, 11:59 PM

I am a nurse, I believe in vaccines, However, I do not believe in the schedule the CDC has given out. My nephew was diagnosed with Autism 2 years ago and in that time I (along with my family) have done lots of research. As does every family that is dealt that card. I can tell you that a lot of you sound like uninformed consumers. I have worked with Pediatricians (have one for a Brother-in-law) for over 7 years and trust me; they are not all knowing. They have been taught (like me) to believe in vaccines/medicine!!! It is all the medical profession knows!!! I know, because I am a part of it! They hand out drugs given by the pharmaceutical companies that give them money that produce more vaccines for more money. (It is a CONSPIRACY people!!!) If you look at the vaccine schedule from 10 years ago compared to the vaccine schedule now, you will all be appalled I guarantee! They are pumping our children full of diseases all at the same time and at a very young age. My son is 2 and will start my vaccination schedule (the same schedule I received back in 84) at his next visit. I AM AN INFORMED CONSUMER! If anyone has questions read Dr. Stephanie Caves book titled “What your Doctors don’t tell you about your children’s vaccinations” She is a well-known physician who has dedicated the last 20 years to Autism and is Very knowledgeable about all of this. She is not opposed to vaccinations only recommends different schedules as all Educated parents should. INFORM YOURSELF before lashing out at others!

rodriguezintexas June 27, 2009, 11:51 AM

If a child is vaccinated against a disease and contracts that disease from a non-vaccinated child, maybe the parents should sue the vaccination companies for the ineffectiveness of their child’s vaccine. You cannot adamantly claim a vaccine is effective if there is no exposure to the disease. (It’s like saying you aren’t allergic to bee stings if you’ve never been stung.) So if your vaccinated child is exposed to a disease he/she has been innoculated for and contracts that disease, then therein lies the realization that you have fallen for the big, fat lie—a lie that, in fact, is a billion dollar gravy train for pharmaceutical companies, who in turn give tremendous donations to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

In 1992, the CDC admitted that the polio live-virus vaccine had become the largest cause of polio in the United States. Specifically, the CDC asserted that, from 1973 to 1983, 87% of all (non-imported) cases of polio resulted directly from vaccine administration. Furthermore, it was also asserted that every non-imported case of polio in the U.S. from 1980 to 1989 was vaccine-induced.

The death rate is eight times greater than normal within only three days of receiving a DPT shot. The dreaded Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) clusters very strongly around the typical time frame of DPT shot administration. DPT vaccinations are usually given at age’s two months, four months, and six months. SIDS occurs mostly during the same time frame (85% from one to six months), with the largest incidence occurring at two and four months, in a bimodal fashion. This means that most of the SIDS cases actually cluster directly after the injections, and not in smooth fashion over the entire time period. One study showed that of 103 infants who died of SIDS, 70% had received the DPT vaccine within three weeks. As of 1975, Japan began deferring pertussis vaccinations until two years of age. A significant drop in serious reactions to the vaccine (of which there are many, the worst of which is SIDS) was noted immediately.

More than half of the experts hired to advise the government on the safety
and effectiveness of medicine have financial relationships with the
pharmaceutical companies that will be helped or hurt by their decisions, a
USA TODAY study found. The experts are supposed to be independent, but USA TODAY found that 54% of the time, they have a direct financial interest in the drug or topic they are asked to evaluate. Federal law generally prohibits the FDA from using experts with financial conflicts of interest, but the FDA has waived the restriction more than 800 times since 1998.

Don’t believe any of this or refuse to believe any of this? Check it out for yourself. A child’s immune system is boosted through proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle, not an injection of poisons. (Try checking out the ingredients before putting it into your child’s body and see if you don’t agree it looks more like a witch’s brew than medicine.)

So, don’t blame my unvaccinated child for the inefficacy of your child’s vaccine. My child’s healthy body can fight disease the way it was designed to. You should have seen my son’s ridiculously mild case of the chicken pox. Could it be because he gets an abundance of whole foods, no artificial colors or preservatives, very little sugar and lots of sunshine? Nah, that can’t have anything to do with it—he’s just lucky, I guess. Maybe I should stop wasting my time so concerned about the nutritional welfare of my children and start letting them feast on fast food, sodas and candy instead…

rodriguezintexas June 27, 2009, 11:56 AM

relationships with the
pharmaceutical companies that will be helped or hurt by their decisions, a

Anonymous August 11, 2010, 11:29 AM

To prevent a measles outbreak, at least 95% of individuals must be fully vaccinated. Thus - roughly 5% of the population can avoid infection without being vaccinated - it’s referred to as the “freeloader” principle.

BUT - as refusing vaccines becomes more popular and the number of unvaccinated individuals rises above 5% - the freeloader train will come to an abrupt and sickly halt (check out Bulgaria’s current measles outbreak).

Also - autism rates have tragically CONTINUED RISING - DESPITE FALLING VACCINATION RATES. SOMETHING is causing our children to be afflicted with this difficult, life-altering condition. By focusing too heavily and dogmatically on vaccination - we run the risk of diverting essential funding away from unveiling the causes of autism - and stopping them. I can think of no greater tragedy.

Consider the long list of things that have changed in our society in the past 50 years - we use nanotechnology to treat make our pants wrinkle-free and our baby’s pajamas’s flame retardant. We drink water from plastic bottles produced with a dizzying array of chemicals. We surround ourselves with a constant barrage of information and media - even young babies are exposed to television - do we really know what the impact of mental over-stimulation is on an infant?

Vaccines have risks. But vax rates are tumbling down and autism rates are still rising. We need to recognize that there risky things in our environment - and they may have a role in the continued rise in autism rates.

Let’s figure out what else might be leading to the rising autism rates.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 2:49 PM

Good information! Nice to read. I just have a single observation to make about funny t-shirts.

Kelly March 2, 2011, 2:17 PM

After living with my six year olds autism and it’s daily battles since he was 17 months and my three years old recent dose of measles, I would happily have the measles again.

My three year old was not offered the MMR because his sibling developed autism… If there isn’t a link why did the authority remove him from the programme?