When Mommy Has Plastic Surgery

Having plastic surgery is a very personal decision, but how do you explain to your kids that you're going under the knife?

When we heard that our very own momlogic contributor Dr. Pamela Varady was electing to have plastic surgery, we wondered how she would tell her twin 10-year-old boys about what she was about to do. She allowed us to interview her sons and hear their honest thoughts and fears.

Pamela's twins were divided. While one was OK with the idea, the other was very nervous and angry.

In part one of our three-part series, we talk to Pamela and her sons about her decision.

before_gallery.jpg

Click for more Before and After photos!

endoscopic_gallery2.jpg

Click to see more "Before and After" photos!

next: The New Botox Is in Your Fridge
Anonymous July 15, 2008, 1:36 PM

what a powerful video. you don’t often think of what plastic surgery does to the children. i’m sure it is very scary for them. thanks for an inside look into a side of plastic surgery that’s not often explored.

SugarPlumFairy July 15, 2008, 1:43 PM

This is a great topic. I know I would have a hard time telling my kids about this.

Anonymous July 15, 2008, 3:55 PM

selfish.

Anonymous July 15, 2008, 4:14 PM

I love this video! It’s so informative-Unfortunately, I made the mistake of having plastic surgery without telling my children and it horrified them. I will never do anything like that again.

S. Collins July 15, 2008, 7:05 PM

Fantastic! This is one of your best features. The mother has the absolute right to consider improvements and has the responsiblity to share and prepare with her sons. She did a great job. I am looking forward to the upcoming features on this topic and to follow her results!

a. July 15, 2008, 8:23 PM

lame. She absolutely doesn’t need it.
oh well. if she has the money, why not? she has that right.

Anonymous July 15, 2008, 11:44 PM

she acts like it’s so necessary and it’s the right reason . but then she apologizes to her son. seems like a psychologist would know she’s just confusing them. if you’re going to do it, own it. don’t flip flop - hurts the kids.

L. Johnson July 16, 2008, 8:21 AM

I feel sorry for her children ~ that they have to go through such an experience so young…and learn that some women…and now their mother…don’t believe in aging gracefully…I can bet she will have another procedure in less than 5 years…sad…she’s a beautiful woman…I recommend she looks inside first before cutting her outside!!

Anon July 16, 2008, 9:31 PM

Why doesn’t she tell them the truth; she’s not happy with her looks. Not make up lame excuses like it will give her more opportunities.

Colleen July 17, 2008, 4:32 PM

I was 19 yrs old, still living at home when my mom had plstic surgery, and it FREAKED ME OUT! Even though I was old enough to understand,nothing can prepare you for seeing your own family member bandaged, bloody and bruised.She walked around the house looking like something from a horror movie. I kept thinking,”how could you do that to yourself?” If it was difficult for me at 19, I can’t imagine how it is for a child.