Mini Skirts for Running?

There seems to be a new trend in exercise-wear: the running skirt. Though women have worn skirts in sports like tennis, we can't help but think: a skirt for running? Really?

Lately there have been quite a few women working out in exercise skirts -- you know, the ones they wear playing tennis? Though you don't have to wear bloomers underneath to cover up your undies (since they have shorts attached), we're wondering -- WHY? Are they functional, fashionable, flattering? Don't think so. We did a little digging and found out how short these things are. Unless it was hiding our cellulite, stretchmarks and bellies, you wouldn't find us wearing these skimpies on the elliptical machine. Then again, you probably won't be finding us on the elliptical, period. What do you think of the looks below? Yay or nay?

Nike, $60

This daring skirt from Nike hits just below the booty (that is, if your butt hasn't been pulled down by gravity.) It does have an itty bitty short attached -- that may help cover you up a bit.

Atlanta Athletic Wear, $48

Does the raspberry sorbet color inspire you to jet out of the house and go for a jog? Includes "bumhuggers" and a teensy pocket for your keys and credit card. Going out clubbing afterwards?

Puma, $32

Super cute but almost too cute for running since it doesn't look like exercise wear. Maybe it would work for a bathing suit cover?

Moving Comfort, $36

One runner said she felt like "Sporty Spice" wearing this skirt. We're not sure if that's a good thing.

Brooks, $48

"Long enough to cover the upper thigh." Yikes. That's it?

Want more fashion and beauty? Click here.

next: Abusive Teacher Calls Student 'Ugly'
ANON July 30, 2008, 1:26 PM

I have some workout skirts. It doesn’t bother me one bit! It feels like a pair of shorts. You can’t really tell that you have one a skirt. unless you look at it. I got mine from Target cheaper than the ones that y’all have listed. It’s not bad to work out in them.

mom of 2 July 30, 2008, 1:38 PM

I have friends that wear these to the gym and running. I will get one when I find it on sale!!! They look really cute on, but these are not that flattering on you if you have a tummy. They’ll just bulge over it, since they are all made out of stretchy spandex materials. Looks great on women with a little hip action, though.

Anonymous July 30, 2008, 2:11 PM

I love running in these skirts! I played lacrosse for a number of years, and we always had to wear kilts when playing, so it’s like a flashback to those old lacrosse days!

jackie July 30, 2008, 3:19 PM

I definitely would not wear this right now because i need to lose weight but oif i had a better bod I might go for it. I do think they look pretty feminine but I think momlogic you are right, it’s just a little too short for most of us…

Lesa July 31, 2008, 12:48 PM

When I first clicked on the article I figured I’d read about yet another way the clothing industry found to exploit women. On the contrary, if there are built-in shorts it seems to me these athletic skirts are even better than the standard available exercise apparel. And if indeed there are built-in shorts underneath, isn’t this close to a skort? The skort looked like shorts in the back and a skirt in the front but now-a-days they make the skirt go all the way around the built-in shorts. It’s like a “safe” mini-skirt.

Now, if these only had a built-in panty or worse—nothing built in at all—then I personally would have a problem with it.

Maybe they should change the name to “Athletic Skort” or something other than running skirt.

Anne July 31, 2008, 1:58 PM

Skimpy, but no risk of camel toe. I like it for those 100 degree days.

laxlover February 24, 2009, 4:37 PM

i personaly think it is really idiotic that girls HAVE to wear skirts in women’s lacrosse. shorts are MUCH more comfortable and easier to run in compared to skirts. whoever had that idea really needs a life in my opinion.

LittleLouisa29 May 27, 2010, 6:35 PM

If you are in a not good position and have got no money to move out from that, you would require to take the lowest-rate-loans.com. Because that should help you unquestionably. I get short term loan every year and feel myself good because of that.