2-Headed Girl Inspires

Two amazing teen girls overcome enormous odds--they got their driver's licenses!

A baby boy born with two heads and one body in India died after his parents took him home because they could not afford medical care. Some might think the baby (or babies depending how you look at it) is better off. How on earth could the child possibly experience any joy or--for that matter--normalcy in his life?

littleabbyandbrittany.jpg
Two Minnesota girls blow that theory out of the water. Abigail and Brittany Hensel share one body--when most teen girls can't even share clothes without a meltdown. Born in 1990 Abby and Brittany had only a 1 in 30 million chance of surviving the first 24 hours. The girls have grown up to be healthy--and the only thing that isn't "normal" about them is how unbelievably well-adjusted they are.

In fact, they decided to turn the camera on themselves to show the world what it's really like to be joined for life-- and because as Abby says,  "We wanted to make this documentary so people wouldn't always have to stare and take pictures because we don't like it when they take pictures." The special, that aired on TLC a while back, recounts the girls reaching that oh-so-typical teen milestone--getting their driver's licenses. You won't believe how they operate a car!

next: Lindsay Blasts Dad on MySpace
Anonymous August 28, 2008, 4:56 PM

They’re not normal and never going to live a normal life (like get married, have kids, etc.) I know it sounds cruel but it’s true.

Tina  August 28, 2008, 4:59 PM

I guess that depends on what your definition of “normal” is. They might get married. They are fully equipped to have kids. Who are you to judge them? And some people are perfectly “normal” and they don’t never get married or have kids— doesn that make them abnormal?

Anonymous August 28, 2008, 5:15 PM

They are freaks. Most people are afraid to say it (even though it’s true) because today everybody’s so afraid of not being politically correct and not wanting to offend anyone.

a. August 28, 2008, 5:29 PM

it might not be “normal” to us, but it’s normal to them.

anyway, this is OLD news. they got their licenses near the beginning of this year! like six months ago.

Misty August 28, 2008, 5:32 PM

I can’t believe I’m reading these kinds of comments. 1: who the heck are you to judge anybody? Are you “perfect”? Do you live a “normal” life. I doubt it! 2: How can anyone call anyone a freak? Do you not have any compassion? These girls have endured more than anyone can ever imagine. Sure their bodies may not be the same as yours, but is yours the same as anyone else’s? NO, that’s what makes us all different, unique and special. Its no wonder you left you comment Anonymous. With what you wrote I wouldn’t want anybody to know who I was either!

Laura August 28, 2008, 5:48 PM

I don’t think people are afraid to say it, Anon, I think they just have the compassion to see past the typical definition of normal and the good manners not say such a thing. Anyone who has a kid that doesn’t fit into the cookie cutter definition of normal has to redefine the meaning of the world normal. If your normal life includes looking down your nose at someone who’s different than you, then viva la difference!

Annie August 28, 2008, 6:17 PM

i think they are absolutely amazing. it’s very brave what they did. and yes, they aren’t “normal” by any standard but they are still more normal (mentally) than a lot of people out there.

Anonymous August 28, 2008, 7:16 PM

I think that that is what is normal for them. It is great that they have adapted so well and roll with what life gave them. What would you want them to do? Lie around and mope and cry over something they cannot change? I am sure there are times that they wish they did fit society’s definition of normal…but they can’t change what is.

sblondon August 29, 2008, 11:37 AM

Wow, they are amazing!! And so are their parents!! They could have easily terminated one of them when they were babies!! Or maybe even both!! The whole family have got to soo strong and courageous!! Hands down to them all!!!

cara August 29, 2008, 1:52 PM

I think they’re fantastic. I applaud the parents with understanding ” everything in life has it’s purpose, find it’s reason” and not changing them for superficial reasons. There are some demented humans out there that look “normal” and some probably even find “hot” and they are actual monsters.

And don’t forget about Lori and Reba, from Reading, Pa.

Kathy August 29, 2008, 7:23 PM

This is to both of the girls god bless and I wish you two all the happeness in the world. I just watched your video of when you two turned 16 and it brought tears to my eyes. Not in a bad way you both are so beautiful. Take care of each other always. Kathy from brooklyn ny

Kathy August 29, 2008, 7:25 PM

Good Luck to the both of you.

Anon. August 30, 2008, 5:23 PM

look, I know them vaguely. Not real well, but I do know them. And I can tell you first-hand that they are NOT FREAKS. They are so incredibly normal that they make the rest of us look like freaks. Just leave them alone, ‘kay?

Theresa August 30, 2008, 7:27 PM

Fascinating story. All the how would they questions pretzel the brain! Much success and happiness to them both.

AK mom August 31, 2008, 2:39 AM

As I was reading this story my 12yr old son looked over my shoulder and when he realized what he was looking at he asked in a very excited way, “are they real? Does she really have 2 heads?” I said yes and read him some of the story and explained about the babies that died and let him watch the video of the girls. I was worried about his reaction, but kids never disappoint. When the video was over he plopped down on the couch and said “that’s so cool! I wish I had two heads!”
I just had to share :O)

wow oh wow! August 31, 2008, 1:51 PM

These girls are great. They mabey are not normal but insid e they are! I hope all thier dreams of kids and geting married is possibile. God bless them and God bless you al.

oh wow August 31, 2008, 1:55 PM

God bless them. They are great. They are not normal looking, but thier heart can feel exactly what ours feel! God bless you all!

Gwendolyn September 4, 2008, 1:01 PM

Nobody is perfect or normal. These are smart and beautiful girls and I’m glad they shared this little piece of their lives with the world. It always makes me sad when conjoined twins don’t make it and I’m glad these perfect girls did.

Some may question why this happened, but it is obvious that their lives serve a great purpose in teaching others to see beauty beyond appearance (even though they are truly beautiful inside and out).

Anna September 4, 2008, 9:59 PM

They are awesome, I would kill to know more about how they lives and their psychosis and what not. If they wrote a book I would definatly read it. Anyone who calls them freaks is an idiot, they are amazing.

Andy September 5, 2008, 7:42 AM

How can they ever have boyfriends or get married? Two husbands with one body and two heads? Whose turn is it tonight?
I wish them the best, but I can’t see a harmonious adult life for these girls.