3-Year-Old Busted for Nudity

Should learning to ride a bike include clothes?

nakedbikeride.jpg
A Canadian man was arrested for allowing his 3-year-old to participate in Naked Bike Ride, an annual world-wide event where participants forgo their clothes and hop on bicycles-- ouch! Vancouver Police were alerted when bystanders were said to be concerned about the boy's well-being. The father and the boy were taken in--dad heading to jail-- citing public nudity laws. And we worry if our kid is wearing a helmet!

One naked cyclist, who declined to be named, said "I think [the boy's nudity] is wrong. The kid's a minor." But the FAQ on the official Naked Bike Ride website says it's up to the parent. "Children and teenagers under 18 are not encouraged to participate without close supervision from a parent or legal guardian." The FAQ also answers the burning question, "will riding naked hurt my genitals?" We say, hell yeah!

Is Dad a free spirit or irresponsible?

next: Author of '100 Things' Dies
Lexis August 26, 2008, 1:20 PM

Please, his butt was probably the cutest one there.

Tina August 26, 2008, 1:29 PM

What’s wrong with people— that is way to creepy — if you’re into public nudity don’t involve your children.

foxymama August 26, 2008, 7:14 PM

Naked bike riding. Gross - dirty seats, scuffed up balls…ugh!!!

ashley August 27, 2008, 7:48 AM

I don’t think it’s right. Not with all the pervs out there. I mean who knows how many pedophiles are around and would be happy to see a little kid ride his bike naked. Dumb daddy!!! And where’s mommy??

Justin August 27, 2008, 11:20 AM

People are way, way, way, way too offended by nudity. If this was a public orgy, then yes, I’d say it’s wrong to bring a kid along. But what these people were doing was not sexual in any way, shape or form. There is nothing inherently sexual about nudity in and of itsself. And this sheltering of kids from nudity is what causes so many people to grow up ashamed and fearful of their own bodies. And “ashley”, as far as pedophiles go, you’re probably right. So what? Should we teach our kids to be sensible and cautious or to live in fear that assume that every adult other than their parent is a pedophile (thus making them fearful and shameful of their bodies as well). And also to “ashley”, you’re “and where’s mommy” BS is as sexist and offensive as a man saying to you, “Get back in the kitchen.” I believe it was a MOTHER who recently had her twelve year old drive her to a bar. Daddies can be at least as good parents as Mommies, and Mommies can be as awful as the worst Daddy. Get that through your head you close-minded, self-righteous, judgemental sexist.

cara August 27, 2008, 11:30 AM

I’m on the fence with this one. There is nothing more sacred and beautiful then our bodies. Our bodies are our temples and they are what we came in and all that we leave in, if we’re lucky. And it seems to me, people are more offended by our bodies in their natural state then they are by the fake, huge cartoonish T&A that we are subjected to on a daily basis. The reason why I’m on the fence is because of the ped’s. Our world seems to be overrun with them and that’s no one’s fault but our own.

Fran August 27, 2008, 2:08 PM

I would hope the child had on lots of sunscreen.

I’m not sure how a pedophile seeing a naked child harms the child. Certainly you would want to keep an eye on your kid the whole time, whether they were clothed or not.

But I’m not sure why a public nudity law would be enforced more stringently against the kid than against the other riders there.

Alexia August 27, 2008, 2:38 PM

Ummmm sounds dumb to me. If the adults are allowed than so is the kid.

Cindy August 27, 2008, 9:01 PM

I completely agree with Justin. This is why in America there are so many more sex crimes than in the UK. We all start out naked! If you don’t want to see it then don’t look!!! Children need to be able to aprreciate their bodies, maybe we wouldn’t have so many people with eating disorders! Get over it people, it’s a naked baby!

Anonymous February 12, 2009, 1:51 AM

I think the boy should be aloud to ride in the naked bike ride. kids and nudity go hand in hand.

Mr Hate October 11, 2009, 2:47 AM

Who cares, it should be up to the kid and the parents if he rides nude or not, it shouldn’t be anyone’s business but theirs.