With the economy in a downward spiral, it's hard to not feel overwhelmed when it comes to rising gas and grocery prices, banks closing, and foreclosures. Our spiritual expert gives us tips on handling the stress with ease.
Momlogic contributor Rabbi Sherre Hirsch, author of We Plan, God Laughs: Ten Steps to Finding Your Divine Path When Life is Not Turning Out Like You Wanted, suggests taking the following five steps to reach peace with your finances:
1. Prioritize your spending. Jewish tradition teaches that, "You should command your money rather than serve it." My husband and I sat down over coffee and prioritized what is most important to us as a family. Just doing this exercise highlighted for us how we could more effectively use our money.
2. Don't be in denial about your finances. Seek advice. Pretending it is not happening just worsens the problem. There are online sites and people with far more wisdom in this area. Learn from them.
3. Spend time, not money, together. A walk on the beach is far more meaningful than any trendy handbag.
4. Don't base your self-worth on your financial worth. Remember: Money does not equal success.
5. Give money away no matter what. By helping others, we can gain perspective in ways we never imagined.