First we brought you MILF mommy, who said being a size 12 is neither healthy nor attractive and urged the "fatties" to get on the elliptical. Then, size 12 mommy brought on the smackdown. Now, a nutritionist weighs in--who's right in this battle?
Size 12 versus size 4: What's healthy, what's attractive, what's the hype all about? Self-proclaimed MILF mommy thinks being a size 12 is not only grossly overweight, it's grossly unattractive. Size 12 mommy says at least she doesn't have to give up her goods (her bod and her guilty pleasures) to feel and look fabulous. When it comes to taking sides, MILF mommy got some gnarly responses from all of you, with one mom calling her "narcissistic, perfectionistic and mean-spirited." Some even redefined what MILF means (Moron, Intelligence, Loser, F*ing Unbearable). One reader wrote: "The world lacks many things, the first of what seems to be your intelligence." Ok...settle down ladies. We've asked celeb nutritionist Diane Henderiks to give us the real skinny on the debate (so to speak):
1. Size is nothing but a number: "First and foremost, your clothing size does not determine whether or not you are healthy. There are plenty of size 4 patients I have counseled for diabetes, high blood pressure and many other medical issues," she says. Ok, that's one for the 12 mommies...
2. Your calorie needs are based on your height: The shorter you are, the less calories you need. For those who are 5'3, for example, we can't eat the same amount of calories as someone who is taller.
3. Lifestyle choices are personal: "We all pretty much know right from not-so-right when it comes to diet and exercise. We have to live with the results," Diane says. That's one for the MILF's.
4. Be a role model: Being too thin is equally as harmful as being overweight. Eating and self-image problems are rampant among girls, so be careful about the messages you send to your kids, whether verbal or subliminal.
5. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all: This is an important lesson to teach and live by. If someone wants your advice, they will ask you for it. Judgments are based on personal insecurities. Did you hear that, MILF AND 12??
Let's all be as healthy as we can be, be the best example that we can and maybe pick bigger battles to duke it out over.