Breastfeeding on the Double-D Train

Guest blogger Ronda Kaysen: NYC moms celebrate World Breastfeeding Week in a very unusual way. All aboard!

breast_stop.jpg
Where's the worst place to nurse a baby in New York City? The subway. It's crowded, there's no privacy, and people stare just because they're bored.

None of those inconveniences stopped a gaggle of nursing moms from hopping on the A train in Washington Heights last week and riding it all the way to Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn (about an hour-and-a-half ride). The public nurse-in was a kickoff for World Breastfeeding Week and culminated with a rally in Brooklyn.

The Mom Riders used the annual ride -- it's happened every year since 2004 -- to bring attention to the Breastfeeding Bill of Rights, a bill that passed the New York State Assembly but stalled in the state Senate because doctors' groups worry it will interfere with doctor-patient relationships.

The bill affirms that moms can room-in with their newborns, refuse bottles and formula at the hospital and be informed about the effects medications might have on breastfeeding. Most of these "rights" are already on the books, so the new law is something of an exclamation point. But moms say it's a much-needed one.

Would you breastfeed on the subway?

next: Tot Abandoned at Wal-Mart
safe hair color products January 15, 2011, 12:11 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

Discount Vertical Blinds January 15, 2011, 10:30 PM

Hey i am not going to be original this time, so all i have to say is that your website rocks, sad that I can’t come up with something original Thanks again for taking the time to put this up. I definitely enjoyed every bit of it.

Frances Saro January 22, 2011, 2:27 PM

I don’t agree with it, many thanks for showing the initiative to think of it

Florentina Abbed January 22, 2011, 11:26 PM

Nannette Tohen February 1, 2011, 3:47 PM

As a Newbie, I am always browsing online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

Nadia Guba March 16, 2011, 12:26 PM

decided book you get hold of

Homme Nike Air Max 90 March 25, 2011, 3:43 AM

Hello, I categorically have a ball reading your posts, thank you for the gifted post!

Bobby Hull Jerseys March 26, 2011, 3:46 AM

I harmonise with your conclusions and will-power thirstily look forward to your coming updates.

Martin Havlat Jersey March 26, 2011, 5:57 AM

I benefit reading this article. I demand to learn more on this topic.. Hold responsible you as far as something writing this crucial info.. Anyway, I am gonna subscribe to your rss and I impose upon you set gigantic articles again soon. Really worthwhile info.

Lydia Junius March 29, 2011, 7:56 PM

As a Newbie, I am continuously browsing online for articles that can help me. Thank you

Clarence A. Gates March 31, 2011, 3:22 AM

Fascinating

Air Jordan 1 April 3, 2011, 9:36 AM

Wow, that looks so beneficial!Maybe you fool changed your theme not too long ago? Mainly because I could contain sworn it was not the having said that the one-time patch I was here…unless I am pensive of a bizarre snare site.

sex izle April 3, 2011, 3:44 PM

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

erotik video izle April 3, 2011, 4:02 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Wholesale ED Hardy Sunglasses April 4, 2011, 9:11 PM

With all the bit of all right floating around on the grid-work, it is a great fluctuate of pace to read a placement like yours instead.

David R. Pruitt April 5, 2011, 7:03 AM

Hello there, - stumbled upon your current internet page by accident whilst drifting round the net this evening, and delighted that I did! I do like the page structure and colours, but I need to mention that I’m having trouble when it loads. I’m making use of Safari 4 web browser for mac, and the menu won’t line up nicely. i am confident I have employed the equivalent design on a client’s web site, but the menu seems Ok on mine. I think the fault is with my outdated browser & I suppose it’s about time to switch!

Pharmf258 April 6, 2011, 11:42 AM

Hello! defkffa interesting defkffa site!

Air Max 93 April 7, 2011, 6:21 AM

I fancy coming defeat daily to brood over your thoughts. I attired in b be committed to your attendant bookmarked on my routine read heel!

Garnett Franson April 7, 2011, 2:28 PM

Would love to forever get updated great site ! .

Toms Coupon Code April 8, 2011, 2:35 PM

I loved reading this article I will make sure to tell my friends about this and link to it too. Thanks