Brits Like 'Em Big?

A U.K. fashion magazine conducted a survey to find the perfect body. Do you think the results would be the same here in the U.S.?
bodyideal-copy.jpg
Men are a mystery -- we're never quite sure what they consider "the perfect woman." One minute they tell us they don't like us to wear too much makeup, the next they're ogling some tramp on the street who's made up like a hooker. Or a real hooker. Then there are the body questions. Do men really love "handles" or do they lust after the waifish starving model look?

Fabulous
, a U.K. fashion magazine, conducted a survey to try to get to the big bottom of the ideal woman conundrum and discovered men and women have conflicting opinions on what's a hot bod. Here at the office, we were very, very happy with results -- most of us have size 10 nailed -- until we asked the only guy who works here for his pick. He immediately choose Tillie, the size 6, as his perfect woman. Of course, no one has spoken to him since.

Blimey, what gives? Do our steak-and-kidney-pie-eating (820 calories a serving!) British cousins just like a little more meat on their bones? Or do you think --  based on this survey -- we can all lay off our diets and not worry so much about body image?

Read more fashion and beauty!

next: Moms Under the Influence
Jocelyn August 1, 2008, 2:05 PM

I think beauty is in the eye of the Beheld…how you feel about yourself is what attracts or repels everyone around you. If you’re at YOUR healthy weight and happy, that’s the best cosmetic you’ll ever need!

CaraClark August 1, 2008, 2:15 PM

Sorry but that Anna is fat, plain and simple. If i got as big as her my husband would leave me.

TroubledTeen August 1, 2008, 2:17 PM

This is why men are from Mars and woman are from Venus. I am always amazed when guys tell me I need to gain some weight, since I think I could lose a few and I am a size 8. Maybe I just need to exercise more. :o) The weight issue is troubling, I think it is like hair, your never satisfied.

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 2:17 PM

I love this! Maybe I should move to Europe????!!!!

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 2:20 PM

What kind of marriage is based on you being thin? If my husband thought that way, then he would have gone packing from the hospital after I delivered his son. You think a size 10 is fat? Wake up and take a look at REAL moms!

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 2:27 PM

As a man, I can say that I love women of all shapes and sizes. Most of the time it’s not about a woman’s weight (unless she’s ridiculously morbidly obese), it’s more about her confidence, her attitude & hygiene. Pretty much the same things women look for in men a lot of the times. I think all three women are gorgeous, although I’d be attracted to Anna, Caroline then Tillie in that order!

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 2:43 PM

I think it’s only natural to be attracted to the body that looks the healthiest and in most cases (aside from anorexic people) they are the thinest. Who would choose to be with someone who is more likely to die first and be able to do less. And thin people are much happier.

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 3:12 PM

TILLIE FOR SURE HAS THE BEST BODY. ANY MAN THAT DISAGREES IS GAY

Kristen F August 1, 2008, 3:23 PM

CaraClark,

Anna is not fat by any means and I think it’s very ridiculous for you to say so considering she’s less than the national average even. None of these women are even remotely obese by any means. You and your husband probably deserve each other.

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 4:02 PM

size 14 is the national average, people! cmon…none of these women are fat!

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 5:34 PM

all of them are so pretty i would kill to have bodies like them

cambria August 1, 2008, 5:36 PM

YES! i’m ideal!

Reni  August 1, 2008, 5:40 PM

even as they show us “Real” bodies the picture is still airbrushed.

Nate August 1, 2008, 6:20 PM

While Anna certainly isn’t fat, I have to say that photo isn’t the best; it’s such an awkward pose..

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 6:22 PM

Just because size 14 is the average doesn’t make it healthy or attractive.

James D. Newman August 1, 2008, 8:29 PM

Tillie. If you care.

An AverageMan August 1, 2008, 8:32 PM

The labels you give the women you see are the reason you have health problems. Yes you can say that less body weight is healthier but most doctors will tell you that stress is more dangerous to you then your “fatness”. Maybe skinny is more attractive to american media, but check out other parts of the world. For the record, I would be a fan of Caroline, not Tillie.

Tiffany August 1, 2008, 10:11 PM

I think all these women are beautiful. I bet they’d still be pretty even if they weren’t airbrushed. I also believe that people should let go of the weight obsession. If you’re healthy and happy, that’s all that matters. That said, as a size 4(US) I must say that being thin doesn’t end the insecurities. Looking at these women, I have to stop myself from wishing I had more curves and more booty.So, I think what makes these women most beautiful is that they seem confident.

Anonymous August 1, 2008, 10:13 PM

“Just because size 14 is the average doesn’t make it healthy or attractive.”

I agree.
A size that big for average just means that society as a whole is getting fatter yet individuals feel better about it because everyone else is too.
It’s not the right way to go, no wonder the kids of today are getting fatter- it’s disgusting.

erika August 1, 2008, 11:25 PM

I’m overall offended by the title of this article and I don’t consider myself to be a feminist. However, you’re saying Brits Like Em Big means that a size 10 is big when the average is a 12. Can we really consider that big then?

(And as someone in a size 12 at 5’9” I don’t like the idea of being called “big” either.)