Brits Like 'Em Big?

A U.K. fashion magazine conducted a survey to find the perfect body. Do you think the results would be the same here in the U.S.?
bodyideal-copy.jpg
Men are a mystery -- we're never quite sure what they consider "the perfect woman." One minute they tell us they don't like us to wear too much makeup, the next they're ogling some tramp on the street who's made up like a hooker. Or a real hooker. Then there are the body questions. Do men really love "handles" or do they lust after the waifish starving model look?

Fabulous
, a U.K. fashion magazine, conducted a survey to try to get to the big bottom of the ideal woman conundrum and discovered men and women have conflicting opinions on what's a hot bod. Here at the office, we were very, very happy with results -- most of us have size 10 nailed -- until we asked the only guy who works here for his pick. He immediately choose Tillie, the size 6, as his perfect woman. Of course, no one has spoken to him since.

Blimey, what gives? Do our steak-and-kidney-pie-eating (820 calories a serving!) British cousins just like a little more meat on their bones? Or do you think --  based on this survey -- we can all lay off our diets and not worry so much about body image?

Read more fashion and beauty!

next: Moms Under the Influence
Tracey T August 4, 2008, 4:57 PM

put it this way it doesnt matter what size a woman is because you will always have guys out there with different preferences some like skinny women some like cwomen with some curves some like “thick” women and some like really overweight women.I believe if you are confident with yourself then everything is ok and put it this way clothing in the us goes up to a size 18(in womens) then anything after that is considered plus sized and face it there are a lot of plus sized models.someone mentioned marilyn monroe being a size 10 I just read she was what would be considered a size 12 now but back then it was considered more like a 16 which wasnt bad then or now and if you have noticed the sizes in stores now adays especially the jrs sizes are getting smaller and smaller some of the 15/17(us) jrs tops/jackets look like theyd fit a toddler.Im a big girl and my man wouldnt care if I weighed 250(which I dont) hed still love me for me.

Marie August 4, 2008, 5:05 PM

Caraclark, should be ashamed to have posted such a rude comment. And I sure am glad I don’t have a husband like yours because Lord knows you better not gain a few pounds or your behind is it out of there!!Thank the Lord above I am married to a real man!! My husband loves me no matter what!! That’s what a real husband does!!!

Sandra Deffner August 6, 2008, 7:24 PM

I feel so sorry for the woman that thinks her husband would leave her if she looked like one of the women in that picture … she really needs to get some help …

Anonymous August 7, 2008, 3:45 AM

So, ok. The national average is 14, but there is a lot to be considered here. Body type is one thing. Some people, no matter how healthy, are bigger than others.
And as far as weight control is concerned, I have one simple solution that is beneficial to you and others. Go vegan. It takes a lot of work, studying and a little willpower, but once you cut out things like meat and dairy and replace them with nutrient dense foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, you’d be amazed at how fast the weight falls off and how much more energy you have. And besides that, you do your part to save the lives of some of our friends in the animal kingdom :)

sam August 7, 2008, 10:03 PM

I must say a was about to vomit when i saw these pics, especially the two fat ones! I think models are called so for a reason BECAUSE THEY ARE MODELS!

Isa August 9, 2008, 7:35 AM

No one else noticed that CaraClark says Anna is fat rather than Caroline? I think it’s the unflattering pose that she is reacting to. Whatever the case, I sure am glad that I’m not married to the kind of jerk who would leave me if I gained some weight.

Also, Sam, you are a piece of trash. Do us a favour and get off the Internet.

johna August 9, 2008, 11:06 AM

Watch the olympics live here with your computer. Its free if you have Yahoo bar
http:hothot.ath.cx:8080/special/olympics.html

enough already August 9, 2008, 12:38 PM

Size doesn’t really matter does it? If you feel good and you’re doctor isn’t concerned it shouldn’t matter how much you weight.

anony August 9, 2008, 5:36 PM

Tillie is the best out of these ladies, hands down. Most men would agree.

adam August 9, 2008, 9:05 PM

I think there is no “perfect woman”. I personally like all different sizes/colours of women, and I think other men do as well, just are afraid to admit it.

Anonymous August 9, 2008, 10:18 PM

Anna is in a really unflattering pose.

Also, Marilyn Monroe wasn’t a size 10 or whatever. She weighed 118lb and had a 24 inch waist! She was just immensely busty and curvy.

joe August 10, 2008, 5:00 AM

i love it when women have a “thickness” too them, not necessarily fat but realistic, like the way she looks isn’t the first thing on her mind but it is on her mind :]

John August 10, 2008, 9:22 AM

“What kind of marriage is based on you being thin?…” (August 1, 2008 2:20 PM)

Answer: none, but it could be a deal breaker. We marry one who attracts us (looks, personality, values, etc.). Is there not an implied contractual agreement to AT LEAST not degrade? That is, substitute “thin” in Anon’s questions with “clean,” “honest,” “employed” or “faithful.” Your marriage isn’t BASED on me showering, but if I stop will stay with me? If I marry a fat woman, great! However, if I marry a size 6 woman and she starts packing on the pounds, she has breached our contract (it applies both ways, of course). It has an exception for bearing children (ex., loose belly, smaller breasts), but keeping 30 lbs of “baby fat” isn’t part of it.

Ladies, an “I’m sexy” attitude bridges gaps, be they a little extra weight or a little deficiency in prettiness, but don’t blame your man if you played bait-n-switch advertising during courtship. As I said, though, it goes both ways!

For the record, I prefer size 6 or 8(US).

Anonymous August 10, 2008, 9:51 AM

CaraClark “If i got as big as her my husband would leave me. “

Wow, what an awful person to have married, you have my sympathy.

rebs August 10, 2008, 10:10 AM

Remember, most social time is spent CLOTHED. Thinner people inevitably look better than fatter people, when clothed.

Margaret August 10, 2008, 9:18 PM

I’m a size 10 and my BMI is 21, which is smack in the middle of the normal range. Before I had kids, I was a size 4-6 and had no upper body muscle tone, and my BMI was low: 18. I look better as a size 10 than I did in a smaller size (I am 5’9”). But what’s more important is fitness: body composition, whether you can run a mile easily, do push-ups,etc. I can do so much more now with my higher level of fitness than I could when I was just plain skinny. FITNESS should be the yardstick by which we measure health, not how somebody looks.

Anonymous August 11, 2008, 12:11 AM

Wow…So after reading all the comments I have put a great deal of thought into what I want to say. First ,”bigger” women, as stated by most of the comments and the article, do look better clothed than skinny women do. Second, I’m 5’9 160 pounds, size 10 and have a….wait for it…25 inch waist. I can run 6 miles without stopping, lift 400 pounds with my legs and have got a super flat tummy. I am by no means bragging but Im also NOT fat or unhealthy. Tyra Banks (supermodel) is a size 10 and weighs about 160 pounds; she is also one of the most idealized women by men so ill take my healthy idealized figure over a skinny 10 year old any day. Any man who tells a woman that she needs to have the figure of a boy is just that…he is a stupid boy who is still stuck in the middle school days when thats what most girls started out looking like. Also exercise is all you need if you really want to lose weight. Going vegan is not the best solution because you need protein and lean meats to gain muscle and maintain a healthy iron level in your body.

Anonymous August 12, 2008, 6:49 PM

Honestly I find Tillie the most attractive, but I do believe it is all in preference and lifestyle. I myself live a very active lifestyle and need to eat healthy because I compete in Track and Beach Volleyball, which is probably why I am attracted more towards a woman of the same likeness in fitness. My girlfriend is a petite 4, and also has a very healthy and active lifestyle that compliments mine. Just because she is skinny does not mean she is unhealthy or unhappy in the least trying to keep her shape, because it comes naturally. However, her having an outstanding body is no where near the only reason we have been together so long, its all in personality and the amazing chemistry we share in every aspect of life, although she is very beautiful.

cathy August 12, 2008, 8:24 PM

god, there’s all horrid. tillie is by no means “thin”. but at least the face is cute; i suspect this is skewing the results.

they should have included at least ONE attractive build if they wanted true results for their survey. a paris hilton or penelope cruz type.

Alexandra August 12, 2008, 9:08 PM

I think they all look good.