Brits Like 'Em Big?

A U.K. fashion magazine conducted a survey to find the perfect body. Do you think the results would be the same here in the U.S.?
bodyideal-copy.jpg
Men are a mystery -- we're never quite sure what they consider "the perfect woman." One minute they tell us they don't like us to wear too much makeup, the next they're ogling some tramp on the street who's made up like a hooker. Or a real hooker. Then there are the body questions. Do men really love "handles" or do they lust after the waifish starving model look?

Fabulous
, a U.K. fashion magazine, conducted a survey to try to get to the big bottom of the ideal woman conundrum and discovered men and women have conflicting opinions on what's a hot bod. Here at the office, we were very, very happy with results -- most of us have size 10 nailed -- until we asked the only guy who works here for his pick. He immediately choose Tillie, the size 6, as his perfect woman. Of course, no one has spoken to him since.

Blimey, what gives? Do our steak-and-kidney-pie-eating (820 calories a serving!) British cousins just like a little more meat on their bones? Or do you think --  based on this survey -- we can all lay off our diets and not worry so much about body image?

Read more fashion and beauty!

next: Moms Under the Influence
willis August 12, 2008, 9:28 PM

I like all 3. I like them because they are proportioned well, if they were not then i would not find them attractive. I don’t care how many kids you’ve had if you don’t eat right and don’t exercise and are fat then i have no sympathy for you and i will not find you attractive. If you eat well and exercise and are still fat then i would find you attractive. I am not attracted to laziness about health. I make time to workout and eat well so should fat women with kids.

tysgirl1027 August 13, 2008, 6:29 AM

I don’t much care about the issue of what men think is the ideal woman….to be quite frank about it, men have been wearing their behinds as hats for years when it comes to the standards they think women should live up to. Why in the name of all that is holy should any of us live up to the standards of a country full od men who, in all fairness, are usually sporting their own less than attractive beer belly and seem to think that they can look like a slob and still get the “skinny hot chick”? Excuse me, but WTF? I am wholly offended by the message that little miss size 4 puts out….and no, that is NOT because I am not a size 4. In fact, I was, for years. I am currently pregnant, and of course im stressing about taking the weight off, but I stopped aiming for a 3 or 4 a few years ago. Why? Cause im 5’7 with an athletic build….while I was delusional enough to think I looked good like that, everyone else thought I looked like a cancer patient, seeing as I had ribs sticking out and my cheeks were sunken in. Size 4 works for some body types….but you know what? Size 12 works for some as well. I know I would much rather be 5’7 and a size 7 to 10 and look HEALTHY than be a size 3 or 4 and have people tell me how sick I look again. I agree with the point made in this article…it’s not about your size, it’s about your health.

Dee August 13, 2008, 4:31 PM

Tillie is tan, she got the best pose and she is in the middle. Thats why people think she is the “attractive” one.

The whole thing isn’t very fair from the start!

p.s. Vegan doesn’t equal healthy AT ALL. Go all natural and organic instead.

Johnny August 13, 2008, 6:24 PM

Obviously this “survey” was designed to make fat women feel better about themselves.
Sure, confidence, intelligence and a pretty face give more leeway to dimensions of a desirable woman, but where do you find women that are independent, smart and confident these days?

kris skidmore August 13, 2008, 9:17 PM

If a husband would leave a wife because she had become a size 12 I’d say where is the love??? He is a loser!!!

gemma August 14, 2008, 12:15 AM

for your information Marylin Monroe was a size 14 not ten :) and every human is beautiful in his or her individual way and that’s how it should stay, screw the generic guide lines and just be yourself people!!!

kris  August 14, 2008, 1:32 PM

This is for CaraClark: The best weight you could loose is a husband that would leave you because of size. He does not sound commited to your relationship This type of guy is rover and remember there will always be some one younger, prettier and thinner than you over the years.

kris  August 14, 2008, 2:28 PM

Johnny: You better get glasses or open up your eyes—Independent, smart, confident women are EVERY where.

dxp August 14, 2008, 5:15 PM

Sorry Ms. CaraClark but if you husband leaves you just because you gained some weight it is pathetic that you are still with him. Have some self respect women. And Anna is beautiful. It is sad that you do not see it.

CK1 August 15, 2008, 10:47 AM

As a whole, I think women are beautiful because of who that are, not how much they weigh. Women were made to be sensitive, caring, and loving. We are the other side of men. We compliment them with our soft side. They need us as much as we need them. There are some intelligent men that are not concerned with size and see a woman for who she is. Some men would prefer to have a smart, funny, outgoing, loving person rather than a “plastic” doll totally consumed about how many calories she takes in everyday. I say just be who you are and don’t worry so much about how much you weigh. If you are living a happy, healthy, satisfying life then “you go, girl!”

maria August 15, 2008, 6:44 PM

i am not from uk or us,so sorry for my english but i think that all of them are looking very good and i think people are looking at their faces to,so that’s why tillie seems “more ideal” and i think the position of their body does a lot.anna who’s not fat at all ,seems to be shy and she seems older then tillie

Nick August 15, 2008, 9:27 PM

Anna is really fat i wouldnt touch that fatty

Jack, August 16, 2008, 7:23 AM

No, there are PLENTYYY of places in the world where the people would prefer Tillie. I know men from the UK, they would definitely rather have Tillie…So, I don’t know where this survey comes from. I’m not at all attracted to the fat girls, which is more normal…from what I hear.

Jord August 16, 2008, 1:06 PM

They could all lose a little weight. What is happening to women today. They don’t even take care of them selves. And Nick i totally agree anna is a fatty mcfat fat.

Jord August 16, 2008, 1:07 PM

nick August 17, 2008, 3:33 AM

i know i am so sick of these fat women it makes me so mad its like were are the good looking girls now a days it really gets my goat and puts my weiner in hibernation

kris  August 18, 2008, 4:06 PM

This is for Nick, Jack and Jord—-Why on earth do you think Anna, Tillie or Caroline would even want anything to do with you???????????????????????????????

Ari August 18, 2008, 5:10 PM

Honestly, I really don’t think men care nearly as much as everyone thinks.

kris  August 18, 2008, 5:36 PM

Jord Obviously can’t take direction or can’t read, it clearly states “Avoid clicking “Post” more than ONCE. By the way you have an eloquent way of expressing yourself. You are quite a catch for some “Lucky” girl. Oh yes, themselves is ONE word.

LAuren August 18, 2008, 10:44 PM

“skinny people are much happier”. Really? In which world are you living, because in my experience 99.999% of people, regardless of their body size/shape/weight, experience both the ups and downs. Having a few less fat cells (and there really is not that much difference between the 6 and 10) does NOT make one any less prone to depression, mania, or any other mental illness. The only thing I can think of that you are referring to is that maybe there are fewer fat cells weighing on the hearts of skinnier women- but even that is not true. I know plenty of women in better physical shape, with better cardio, et c, than others who wear a smaller dress size.