Brits Like 'Em Bigger than Americans?

A U.K. fashion magazine conducted a survey to find the perfect body. Here's what momlogic readers had to say about it.

bodyideal-copy.jpg
When we ran our "Brits Like 'Em Big" story about a survey conducted by Fabulous, a U.K. fashion magazine, to find the perfect body, momlogic readers spoke out.

"
Sorry but that Anna is fat, plain and simple. If I got as big as her my husband would leave me."  - CaraClark

"CaraClark, Anna is not fat by any means and I think it's very ridiculous for you to say so considering she's less than the national average even. None of these women are even remotely obese by any means. You and your husband probably deserve each other." - Kristen F

"I'm overall offended by the title of this article and I don't consider myself to be a feminist. However, you're saying Brits Like Em Big means that a size 10 is big when the average is a 12. Can we really consider that big then? (And as someone in a size 12 at 5'9" I don't like the idea of being called "big" either.)" - Erika

"DAmn...you can tell that this article was written either by a fat chick on PMS or a lesbian for sure." - Melqui

"How many kids does the skinny one have? I have three and think as long as you are happy with your body, size doesn't matter that much. No one is perfect and I'll bet even the skinny ones have something about their body they are unhappy with." - Sheli

"Put it this way, it doesn't matter what size a woman is because you will always have guys out there with different preferences. Some like skinny women, some like women with some curves, some like "thick" women, and some like really overweight women. I believe if you are confident with yourself, then everything is OK. I'm a big girl and my man wouldn't care if I weighed 250 (which I don't). He'd still love me for me." - Tracey T

We are currently hitting the streets to get more opinions on this controversial survey ... and to find out if the perfect body indeed exists. Stay tuned.

Read more fashion and beauty!

next: Top 10 Shocking Craigslist Ads
LauraRojas August 5, 2008, 3:03 PM

I went from 227 to 125, for health reasons. I have four sons, and my husband adores me. No, I am not the same size 10 I was when we married, but he isn’t 23 anymore, either. I am happy and healthy. I pity the person who thinks I’m big… gotta hold all that heart SOMEWHERE!

Wendi August 5, 2008, 3:13 PM

I really think it is sad that people say that women of this size are big. I have struggled with weight all my life and have been on both sides of the issue. While being skinny has its advantages, if you are healthy then it is not good. I have a daughter that is so thin and it is even hard to find clothes to fit her. What type of message does this send her? She is almost 13 and seeing that people judge by wieght and that the skinnier you are the better?? That just is not so, I teach her to be healthy and to not judge people by their weight. What a messed up world we live in.

Lindsey Mom of 3 August 5, 2008, 3:13 PM

The “average” in this survey is not. I work out to maintain a HEALTHY body like Tillie.

Andrea August 5, 2008, 3:13 PM

It’s great to be content with your body, in fact it’s necessary. However, a woman 5 feet tall and a size 12 is not the same at a woman 5’10 being a size 12. Body confidence is important, but you need to take into consideration the healthy weight for your frame.

Kylie August 5, 2008, 3:13 PM

wow. are you kidding me?
all three of these women are absolutely beautiful.
..i’m smaller than all 3 of them and i don’t consider one of them fat.
these are beautiful women—
a waist size does NOT determine the beauty in a women.

Jami August 5, 2008, 3:18 PM

This is very offending. All of these ladies look great, and none of them are fat. I don’t think we should be told what size we need to be. The focus should be on trying to be healthier. Get exercise and eat right.
As for the one that said her husband would leave her if she got “fat” sounds very superficial and deserves a superficial husband. My husband loves me as much now (that I have put on several pounds and many stretch marks after having 3 beautiful children) as when we got married (my wedding dress was a size 7) He still thinks I am beautiful. I don’t need someone telling me that I need to be a size 6 or I am fat. It is none of their business.
I do like seeing that men like them a little bigger (size 10) or as I like to call it normal sized.

Heather August 5, 2008, 3:18 PM

To LauraRojas…CONGRATULATIONS! That is a huge accomplishment whether it be for health reasons or otherwise. Good for you! :o)

Sam August 5, 2008, 3:35 PM

wow… okay i’m not a mom but i was reading this. i’m 17 and my eyes automaticly went to caroline.. i think she’s the most gorgeous of them all. being extremely thin does NOT mean you’re healthy. i had to starve myself to get to 120 and that was by no means healthy. i’m a vegetarian and i eat extremely healthy and i weigh 150. i’m not tall either. i’m 5’3”! i have a lot of muscle and a naturally curvy figure. so i think anyone who believes you have to be anorexic to be healthy should go crawl in a ditch somewhere.

Kandice August 5, 2008, 3:43 PM

It is great to see that “bigger” woman are getting some recognition. I usd to be a size 14 and now i am down to a size 4. I did it because thats what i thought people wanted. I guess i was wrong. No wonder people tell me to eat more!

Anonymous August 5, 2008, 4:20 PM

I am a 14 and 5’10. I don’t think I’m fat, I just think I’m normal.

Katie August 5, 2008, 8:32 PM

I’m a 14 and 5’7… I’m NOT fat, I am happy with my body and so is my fiance. We moms should embrace our bodies since they did the most amazing thing in the world.. they brought LIFE!
I think it’s sad that people think they have to starve themselves to conform to Hollywood’s idea of “normal” and make us forget just what normal is.
All 3 of those women are beautiful.. but I bet you that Tillie hasn’t ever had a baby.

April August 5, 2008, 9:59 PM

Why are people to so quick to assume that Tillie hasn’t had children? It’s as if people are in such a rush to claim “big is better!” that they oftentimes imply that being thin is weird, or gross, or even means you starve yourself.

At 5’5, I am a size 0/2. The normal weight for my body is between 100-105 pounds. And yes, I have had children. I don’t starve myself to stay thin - I live a healthy lifestyle. I eat right, I exercise, and I’m blessed with good genetics.

I think I’m beautiful, and I think I’m normal.

Ray August 8, 2008, 4:36 PM

I think that throwing numbers out there is doing a great disservice to many women. At 5’10 being a size 6 or below would have people begging me to eat a sandwhich. My body shape and the way fat settles on me allow me get up to 200lbs before it becomes obvious Im overweight. Ladies need to do what’s best for themselves. My 5’10 frame is not the same as the my sister’s 5’10 frame.

observerist August 9, 2008, 7:29 PM

Is this about what women like in their own bodies or what their men like? Because I’m convinced that women’s magazines have no interest in what men like.

youdonotcare August 11, 2008, 6:38 AM

Considering that you do not add serious comments- why say add comments? You at momlogic want a feel-good site- you feel good because only your opinions are allowed through. I call that fraud and selfish.

A Logical Person August 11, 2008, 9:05 AM

This isn’t an opinion piece. It says nothing about what is ‘healthy’ or what a woman ‘should’ be. It took a survey and these are the results. Clearly the interesting thing is that Brits across the board were a size larger, not “but Anna’s so pretty…”

Anonymous August 11, 2008, 12:34 PM

Really… who cares what MEN LIKE? What do YOU like?
Nothing else matters! I am a 14 @5’8. I just came off a 200 mile bicycle tour. I dare you to tell me i am fat!

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 2:07 AM

May I direct you all to the Aphrodite of Knidos by Praxitles? Google it. I’d say she was at LEAST a size 8. And most maintain she’s the most beautiful woman ever. (Men travelled from all over the Greek City-States to “copulate” with her, true story!)

Kevin August 13, 2008, 4:02 PM

To the women who say, “I bet Tillie’s never had a baby…”, I say you’re justifying the way you look based on how many children you’ve had. I know plenty of women who have had 2 or more kids that have awesome bodies; no stretch marks, no muffin-tops, looks like they train for the Olympics. I think you sound bitter and childish for bringing it up. Be an adult and don’t hate on her because that’s her figure. If you must say anything why can’t you just say, “Good for her.”?

Lori August 13, 2008, 5:07 PM

Everyone has a different body type. There is no perfect size. If you like the way you look in your clothes, and are physically comfortable, then whatever size you are wearing, is perfect for you. I think it’s wrong for society to say what the perfect size is for every woman, we are not Barbie dolls, we are all different. Every woman was not meant to be skinny, but we should all try to stay healthy, that’s what’s important.