Late Night Star Fondles "Jonas Brother"

Does a Chelsea Handler sketch mocking the Jonas Brothers go too far?

Chelsea Handler, host of the late night talk show Chelsea Lately, has enraged Jonas Brothers fans with a sketch, where she mocked purity rings, referred to their hairstyles as "pubic hair of the cranium" and--in the final act-- rubbed up against one of the fake brothers almost baring her (fake?) breasts.

The show received thousands of emails criticizing Chelsea for her bad taste. Which, as fans of her show know, is what Chelsea Lately is all about. Regardless, The Jonas Brother's publicist has even gone as far as threatening to yank E! network's access to all other Disney stars.

See a clip from the 4-minute sketch and tell us, do you think it crossed the line or was all in good fun?

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Liz August 25, 2008, 4:44 PM

It’s largely teenagers who are watching this…so I guess it’s up to their parents but they might want to direct them to comedy that is on the actually FUNNY side of tasteless.

South Park can be tasteless, for example, but it has brains to it. This is just as low as it gets, with no point. Good comedy has a point, or a valid observation to make.

Why would we encourage this moronic attitude towards not only sexuality, but also race, and call it humor?

I would sooner give a 12 year old a set of Richard Pryor and George Carlin DVDs.

wow August 25, 2008, 5:11 PM

that was deffinetly uneccessary that she did that. the jonas brothers are christians and wear purity rings because their love to God. it is absolutely absurd that anyone would do such a thing. this world needs Jesus desperately.

Mel August 25, 2008, 6:27 PM

I think Chelsea completely crossed the line. I get that it’s her job to make people laugh and poke some fun at celebrities, but she took it to way too far this time.

Anonymous August 25, 2008, 6:36 PM

Don’t watch her show then. It’s funny. Get a life.

JMom August 25, 2008, 9:22 PM

it’s more offensive how blatantly racist she is than the poor Jonas brothers.

Savanna August 26, 2008, 1:07 AM

This definitely crossed the line. If she wants to make fun of celebrities for mistakes they have made like rehab and DUI’s that’s one thing, but to make fun of purity rings, race, and essentially all values is just disgusting. She took stupid to a whole new level. It wasn’t even funny. Just totally perverted.

cara August 26, 2008, 10:31 AM

What if it were one of the men of late night with one of the girl ‘tween stars?

Yeah, not so cool.

cara August 26, 2008, 10:45 AM

Liz…..perfectly put.

Sav August 26, 2008, 12:04 PM

This is over the top. I respect people who dont like the Jonas brothers, even if I am a huge fan, so there is no reason for her to explicitly mock them esopecially when the yhave done nothing to deserve it

Anonymous August 26, 2008, 12:29 PM

She crossed the line!!

Anonymous August 26, 2008, 5:30 PM

It’s no different than when SNL parodies a celebrity.

Frances August 27, 2008, 9:45 AM

Too bad. I like watching Chelsea, I think she is incredibly funny. However, this was NOT funny! Shameon you Chelsea.

Really?!?!? September 3, 2008, 4:13 PM

I love this show and this skit was hysterical! Sometimes it’s on when the kids are still up so I RECORD it so I can watch when they’re at school. Chelsea is my ‘The View’. This is not a show for kids, it a show for adults. And yes it’s funny… so take off the Whinnie-the-Pooh-watching-mommy hat for a few minutes, watch the show and have some grown up fun :O)

JW September 8, 2008, 7:00 PM