In Labor Fashion: Are You Kidding?

New fashion has pregnant women hitting their closets before the hospital.

delivery_2_270.jpg
Manicures. Pedicures. Blowouts. Bikini waxes. Sound like a day at the spa? Nope--it's the pre-labor routine of many women.

Considering the "hot mom" trend (yuck) that's emerged in the celebrity world, it's no wonder "normal" women these days are feeling the heat when it comes their appearance on the big day.  And with families eagerly waiting to snap the first (and forever) photos of you and your newborn, it's no wonder pregnant women are flocking to the beauty salon days--even booking appointment months before--their due date.

Even the latest edition of What To Expect When You're Expecting includes a section on pampering yourself during pregnancy.

Since the baby is sure to suck out any energy for primping, it's possible women fear this will be their last chance to get glam--is that so wrong? Daniela Corte doesn't think so. That's why this Boston designer created a birthing dress--an honest-to-goodness stylish frock to wear in the labor and delivery room. Corte invented the little number the night before she gave birth when she had nothing to wear. She found a piece of cotton jersey and began cutting. Soon she had created a prototype for the "Dar-a-luz" (which in Spanish means "to give birth").

Available in blue or violet, it's a vast improvement over those white pasty hospital gowns. But is it any more fashionable than the hospital's version when it's balled up on the floor or strangling a husband?

Tell us what you think: Are birthing dresses a genius invention, or a waste of cash?

next: Kindergarten: The New Harvard
foxymama August 13, 2008, 3:37 PM

Give me a break - nobody cares what they are wearing when they give birth.

WTF August 13, 2008, 3:51 PM

Are you kidding me!!! This thing costs $100!!! I can think of alot of other uses for that money, especially for families with a new baby in the house. This is crazy. And who expects new moms to look “glam” anyway. I think I’d stick with the free gown from the hospital.

Holly  August 13, 2008, 4:49 PM

I think it’s a cute idea. If you want to wear something different like a colorful hospital gown that’s available - why not? Tori Spelling on Tori&Dean wore a cute hospital gown her husband got for her when she had her daughter…If I didn’t have to wear a plain hospital gown and I could have say a cute blue one, I would wear it!

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 8:11 PM

I think it’s great. We need to stop thinking that having a baby is a big medical event… it’s a natural and beautiful thing.

Plus- those hospital gowns are NASTY. Yea they are washed, but (I work in a hospital) I can’t even tell you the ones that have been tossed because they have stains all over them, or ekg leads or what ever environmental and the linen department forgot to take off of them.

So if someone wants to bring their own dress -ahem- gown, and get it all bloody and disgusting then let them. They can take it home and wash them.

At least they wont look any worsse than they have too. That will be the best they may look for a while after having a new baby.

NewssyLee September 5, 2008, 6:48 PM

Thanks to you

ravon September 5, 2008, 10:31 PM

Even though it may be cute I think that I could find something a bit (alot!) cheaper somewhere else. I am pregnant with my third child and could think of a million things to spend $100 on, but hey to each their own. Whatever makes you happy. Even though I do hate those dreadful gowns, I could go to Wal-Mart and get something similiar for about $20!!

ashmom January 9, 2009, 6:43 AM

You typically do need to have a “hospital gown” with snaps on the sleeves and ties/snaps down the back- not just a “nightgown” I think the hospital gowns are a great idea. LaborLooks.com has cute hospital gowns that are $48 not $100. I am due in May and I want something that fits me and hasn’t been worn by hundreds of other people…

gotmilf January 26, 2009, 2:46 PM

Those of you who are hating on these labor gowns are just mad because you would love to have one but you can’t afford one. They are a super cute idea. Besides you don’t have to spend that much on one you can easily have one made but you would still find a reason to bash them!

girlmomma November 11, 2009, 4:41 PM

I think this is a great idea! There are also several on etsy.com that are much less expensive-some as low as 30 dollars, not 100 dollars-and still offer full coverage. You can even wear them for a comfortable recovery gown after you get home from the hospital because they are machine washable!

SVM June 10, 2010, 8:44 PM

Bringing your gown on one of the most important days of you life IS worth it… and besides.. you really don’t know where the gown you will be wearing has been (nor do you want to know!!!)

Check out www.annieandisabel.com

A great company started by 2 RN’s who have designed hospital approved gowns.
They are beautiful, functional, and your own! Every Mom-to-be deserves it on that special day!!!!

Liz33Marks October 13, 2010, 12:09 PM

People in all countries take the personal loans in various banks, because this is simple and comfortable.