'Dress' Gets Girl Booted

First, it was the case of a criminal prom dress. Now, a young woman is tossed from the mall for wearing a short dress. Funny thing is, she bought the little number at that very mall hours before, and the dress in question was actually a shirt. See the fashion crime and tell us--is she cute or should she get the boot?

malldress.jpg
Every year, girls' dresses seem to be getting shorter and shorter (as we get older and older). But when they're wearing shirts as dresses...hmmm. Kymberly Clem, 20, was thrown out of a Kentucky mall Saturday because the "dress" she was wearing was deemed too short by security guards. (Who knew they had such power?)

"The article of clothing that she is trying to pull off as a dress is actually a top--it was purchased at one of our retail stores," says Vickey Strunk, Richmond Mall manager. "We have a dress code here...if you are coming here to shop today, and you come in wearing a top with no pants, then we are going to ask you to leave."

Clem tells a different story: "I was walking through and 10 minutes after I was there, the security guard approached me, asked me to step aside, made me completely do a turn around while he stared me up and down and then asked me to leave because my outfit was too provocative and people's husbands was [sic] looking at me."

Men weren't the only ones staring.  One mother with small children complained because she says Klem's dress was so short you could see her thong.

The tank shirt, called a club shirt, was purchased at a Deb clothing stores in the mall. "We've seen this a million times," says a rep from Deb Stores. "Girls are always buying shirts as dresses--it depends really on your height, whether you can pull it off."

Because of the incident, the Richmond mall says they might have to update their dress code. "On our doors we clearly have posted 'no shoes, no shirt, no service,'" jokes Strunk. "Well, I guess I'm going to have to add 'no pants' to that."

Do you think the trashy looks sold in stores should be banned from malls?

What's up with wearing a shirt as a dress?! It's just one of the many fashion trends we wish would go away. Check out our photo gallery:

next: Momlogic in the News
April August 12, 2008, 5:02 PM

The dress does look trashy… especially considering you could see her underwear!

Maybe she should have worn it to a club instead the mall?

Tina August 12, 2008, 5:04 PM

these girls who show up everwhere in too tight clothes should be stopped. it’s sick. Society needs a dress code. Why is it okay for girls to look like whores???!

Amber August 12, 2008, 5:40 PM

I have quite a few shirts that are long enough to be used as dresses but even if I were a skinnier person I wouldn’t!

Anonymous August 12, 2008, 5:48 PM

All privately owned businesses should have a right to their own dress code. If you do not like the dress code just don’t shop there. Liquor stores sell liquor but they do not allow you to drink it in the store. Even the sex toy stores don’t want you trying out the items you buy while in the store, so why can’t a clothing spot restrict clothing they sell from being worn in the store? The mall owners should be allowed to control the atmosphere in their own busness.

Jo August 12, 2008, 5:53 PM

I’m a fan of the dress like a tramp look, but it doesn’t mean that there should be dress codes. If she was at school that would be different but at public place it’s no shoes, no shirt, no business. I’ve yet to see a sign that mentions anything about how long your bottoms need to be.

Bob August 12, 2008, 6:07 PM

Go for it Kym. You definitely upgrade the appearance of the average shopper at most of the malls I’ve been to lately.

Anonymous August 12, 2008, 6:16 PM

strange the mall security guards had time to deal with this. They’re usually fighting crime and helping old ladies.

Nicole August 12, 2008, 6:19 PM

The mall does have a right to ask her to leave. But I think the dress code should be posted publicly, so everyone is aware of the rules. I personally find her “dress” less offensive than many of the outfits I see walking down the street in the summer. Hello tops of thongs and way too much muffin top!?

Naomi August 12, 2008, 7:08 PM

i have pulled off shirts as dresses, but i made sure my thong WASN’T showing. OMG.

Penny August 12, 2008, 7:17 PM

It would seem to me that this mall would have to be strong in enforcing its code and should certainly go beyond short skirts. Why throw out one if there are so many others e.g. baggy pants and underwear showing, tummies hanging out of the tops, short shorts… I can’t imagine any mall keeping all of these out. I imagine they are pretty much the bread and butter of the stores inside. I disagree with how so many of the young dress and feel that they are degrading themselves. When I was young I was one of these — whose dressing only served to take me the direction I didn’t really want to go.
My answer is I disagree — unless they are carrying it across the board.

scyllacat August 12, 2008, 7:34 PM

I agree with Nicole. Sure, a business has the right to decide what they find acceptable dress, and they do it all the time. But I cannot see what is wrong with this as a minidress. Maybe if I saw the underwear flashing, I might.

Mostly, I disagree with the blurring of the line to call it a security issue by making people stare. I think whatever business owner did not want her in their store should have simply said so, and stood on their rights. By calling in security, they made it a bigger issue, one that might be actionable by the dress wearer.

Perhaps if I were shocked by this outfit, I might have a stronger opinion.

cathy August 12, 2008, 8:13 PM

I dunno about mall dress codes, but did you post the WRONG photo up there? That’s obviously not the dress in question — it looks like something formal you’d wear to the office. Or to graduation, in the case of this girl.

Perhaps she was kicked out for being too FRUMPY?

Erin Kokoszka August 12, 2008, 8:55 PM

Looks like the perfect candidate for TLC’s What Not To Wear!

Grody August 12, 2008, 10:24 PM

I don’t need to see anyone’s thong. Thanks, but no thanks. She didn’t sound to bright either so I guess she’s unable to read and tell the difference from shirt and skirt. Is her goal in life to pole dance? Why the need to show her ass off and then brag she wore even worse. Oy.

monster August 12, 2008, 10:32 PM

Good lord. If I owned a clothing business in that mall I would sue the mall for chasing away my business. At least this girl was not stuffing 180lbs into a dress that was made for 90 - seen that way too often. Of course if she was overweight you would really have a discrimination case on your hands then. Dress seemed pretty tame to me and I live smack in the middle of the red states.

Shay August 13, 2008, 6:39 AM

If she wants to dress that way she should be allowed to. We don’t mad when someone comes out of their house in a Moo Moo and house slippers to the grocery store. People are upset because she threatened their insecurity. If she had husbands looking at her, that was their wife’s problem, not hers. Let’s be real. She bought the dress in that mall. So they condone you shopping there as long as you don’t go into the bathroom to change into what you bought.
And Ladies, don’t act like you didn’t wear whatever you wanted to when all your parts were sitting up in the right way. You turned some heads then too. How many times did someone tell you that what you were wearing was wrong when you thought you looked hot.
And I’m sorry, but you can’t see her underwear. You can’t see anything but arms and legs and maybe cleavage. Leave this girl alone.
Also, monster is right: It’s bad for business.

sheila  August 13, 2008, 9:18 AM

i think this is a joke i dont know how they have time to worry about this dress i think it looks fine, she bought it at this mall..lol isnt it? i thought we lived in a land of freedom.. she did not do anything wrong and im the one to first complain about shorts clothes or to tight clothes on girls.. and i guess this is not a issue at all to me.. and im a mother of two girls… i have seen alot of worse things in my small town in MN of 5000 people…Sheila

Ben August 13, 2008, 9:18 AM

I fail to see a problem with this. I have seen women wearing less and look much worse. At least she can pull it off. I have seen women wearing a short mini-skirt with a halter top and had their stomach hanging over the skirt. They were not kicked out.

Kim August 13, 2008, 10:45 AM

I do not agree that these styles shouldn’t be sold… however I think, having kids of my own, that your underwear should not be visible to others while walking in public. I live near a small town in GA where they just banned pants that are 3 or more inches below your waist. And I agree with this too… My kids don’t need to see women nor mens underwear.

Angus August 13, 2008, 11:04 AM

I’m going to say she’s just a tool and should be banned. Not for the shirt/dress, but for spelling her name “Kymberly”