'Dress' Gets Girl Booted

First, it was the case of a criminal prom dress. Now, a young woman is tossed from the mall for wearing a short dress. Funny thing is, she bought the little number at that very mall hours before, and the dress in question was actually a shirt. See the fashion crime and tell us--is she cute or should she get the boot?

malldress.jpg
Every year, girls' dresses seem to be getting shorter and shorter (as we get older and older). But when they're wearing shirts as dresses...hmmm. Kymberly Clem, 20, was thrown out of a Kentucky mall Saturday because the "dress" she was wearing was deemed too short by security guards. (Who knew they had such power?)

"The article of clothing that she is trying to pull off as a dress is actually a top--it was purchased at one of our retail stores," says Vickey Strunk, Richmond Mall manager. "We have a dress code here...if you are coming here to shop today, and you come in wearing a top with no pants, then we are going to ask you to leave."

Clem tells a different story: "I was walking through and 10 minutes after I was there, the security guard approached me, asked me to step aside, made me completely do a turn around while he stared me up and down and then asked me to leave because my outfit was too provocative and people's husbands was [sic] looking at me."

Men weren't the only ones staring.  One mother with small children complained because she says Klem's dress was so short you could see her thong.

The tank shirt, called a club shirt, was purchased at a Deb clothing stores in the mall. "We've seen this a million times," says a rep from Deb Stores. "Girls are always buying shirts as dresses--it depends really on your height, whether you can pull it off."

Because of the incident, the Richmond mall says they might have to update their dress code. "On our doors we clearly have posted 'no shoes, no shirt, no service,'" jokes Strunk. "Well, I guess I'm going to have to add 'no pants' to that."

Do you think the trashy looks sold in stores should be banned from malls?

What's up with wearing a shirt as a dress?! It's just one of the many fashion trends we wish would go away. Check out our photo gallery:

next: Momlogic in the News
Krystal August 13, 2008, 6:31 PM

I get so tired of seeing this garbage. I don’t need to see boys’ underpants and I don’t need to see a young girls thong or breasts. I’m sorry. These people need to spend more time getting educated and less time trying to figure out how to dress inappropriately. And of course she stated because someone’s husband was looking at her. Sounds like she was looking for attention. We definately need to teach our young adults class.

Inkling August 13, 2008, 6:33 PM

So, it is NOT OK for a woman’s underwear to show, (and the jury is still out on that one…), but it is OK for a man’s underwear to show???!!! The guy with his whole butt exposed in underwear was just as bad. It is also unacceptable when they show up in “gangsta wear” when it is 90 degrees outside. They have on jersey jackets with a ball cap covering their faces, jersey hood over that, and sunglasses. Why are they allowed to come into a mall dressed like that? I can guarantee that if they walked into a bank dressed that way they would be ushered out or arrested. If they are going to enforce a specific dress code it needs to apply to both sexes. I’ll go for the NO visible underwear rule, but only if it applies to both sexes. I am so sick and tired of seeing men with their boo-boos hanging out of their shorts, and women looking like they are wearing their butts on their chests.

Gerry August 13, 2008, 6:33 PM

What a non-issue. This dress is not too short. It is the same length women wore all the time in the late ’80s and early ’90s. If the article didn’t say that it was a shirt not a dress no one would have known because it is long enough and shaped exactly like a dress. Apparently jealous women are the problem not hot chicks like this girl.
I agree with the other poster that at least she is not a fat women trying to squeeze into a petite dress. If you want to ban something how about old men being shirtless and having sagging man boobs. Now that is just gross.

doc moose August 13, 2008, 6:35 PM

it is wholly dependant on her jugg size—with major league yah-boes the dress is fine—with sharpened pencils however they should throw her out of the mall

Margi August 13, 2008, 6:35 PM

It doesn’t look horrible the way she is standing for the picture (she is a pretty girl and has a decent figure), but as someone within the fashion design industry, I can tell you that the minute she starts walking it will move up, especially in the back. I can understand the mall asking her to leave.
Young children especially don’t need to be subjected to this…or others made to feel uncomfortable. Actually, I wish she had a little more respect for herself. With a thong I’m sure it’s quite a sight! Save it for the beach or a club where it might be appreciated.

The Man August 13, 2008, 6:36 PM

It was too short to wear in a public place… but…. I personally would have liked to see it. I find that very sexy, showing just a hint of what should be hidden. Now if she was a hog then that’s different. :)

Inkling August 13, 2008, 6:37 PM

Fogettaboutit! Let’s ban those overly large people on the beach that “THINK” they look good in a one piece or speedos.

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 6:39 PM

What’s the deal with people?
If you’re sexy, flaunt it.
If it exposes actual organs, cover it up.
If you don’t like it, look somewhere else.
And GROW UP, not everybody believes in GOD people !

mike August 13, 2008, 6:39 PM

Fat women, cry on. She looks better than you fatasses.

Marie Anne August 13, 2008, 6:41 PM

It’s a cute, t shirt dress. No shorter than a pair of shorts, a mini skirt or a tank dress. Gimmie a break, ever see guys wearing their pants so low you can see their boxers?? That’s something to complain about!

Ronald Sarson August 13, 2008, 6:42 PM

It looks fine to me. I think most of the naysayers are just jealous because they are not so well equipped.

Dave August 13, 2008, 6:44 PM

I don’t see a problem. She is a very cute girl with a nice figure and the dress doesn’t look that short to me. People wear less than that at the beach.

Carla August 13, 2008, 6:46 PM

Well I think that the clothes that the stores sell is way to short I think that we should ban the stores from selling these clothes and then we as parents would have it alot better.
Carla

Inkling August 13, 2008, 6:47 PM

DUH! You can tell if someone is wearing a thong without actually SEEING it. Thongs don’t leave panty lines. I’m sure it was just a fabrication on some woman’t part to say that. She would probably rather see the girl wearing parachute undies instead. Lighten up! You see much worse than that at the beach AND on the streets, (of course there are no beaches in KY…Ha, Ha, Ha, their state abbreviation is KY…). It figures this was an issue in Kentucky. I’m shocked that they even HAVE a mall…

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 6:48 PM

whats harder to explain to a child why that ladies skirt is so short or why are them 2 men holding hands, or why are them 2 ladies kissing, or why is that baby sucking on that ladies boob? oh stop whining and be upfront and tell your children we live in america where we are free to do what we choose. leave her alone and stop using your kids as the exuse that you are fat and jealous.

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 6:49 PM

the style right now is either very short or very long dresses up to your ankles……….for the day! Fashion is what it is. I don’t think this girl looks slutty or nasty. When you have the body for it show it off as long as you look good in it! When you are old, it would not be appropriate for you to show off more body parts. Everyone should take advantage of clothes that they can pull off while they are young. You should not wait till you are a grandma to wear this types of clothes.

Sharon August 13, 2008, 6:50 PM

I don’t see where she looked that bad, that she deserved to be humiliated in public. I wish I had looked like that at her age. I wish I looked like that now. Why aren’t males kicked out of malls for showing their underwear, and sometimes, the crack of their a$$? Why isn’t anyone pi$$ed off with that?
My husband also agrees the security was too harsh on the girl. I know. He’s a man. lol but he is right.

Steve August 13, 2008, 6:53 PM

I think the young lady looks gorgeous, and I would be happy and honored to have the opportunity to stare at her in a public mall. Yummy! If I was thirty years younger and single the stares might get longer and harder!

Wendy August 13, 2008, 6:56 PM

One word…

TRASH

Horses for Courses August 13, 2008, 6:56 PM

So if I get the general consensus, you don’t mind when a good looking girl wears a shirt as a dress, and lets her thong show in public? Just don’t let the not-so-good looking ones show the same bad taste in fashion? Perhaps she was just drumming up business for the local Spearmint Rhino? Instead of handing out cards, she flashes her undergarments. As long as I can remember, there is always a message that a young girl sends out when she dresses with less. I can already hear all the hip-hugger, stiletto heel broads saying “I want to dress how I want”. “If you’ve got it, flaunt it”…Do, just don’t be surprised when it’s not appreciated by everyone else. It may be jealousy, it may be just that someone thinks you look stupid. & Men, when is this crumby baggy-pant-with-the-underwear-out look going to be done? There’s just no way to look good that way, just sloppy.