'Dress' Gets Girl Booted

First, it was the case of a criminal prom dress. Now, a young woman is tossed from the mall for wearing a short dress. Funny thing is, she bought the little number at that very mall hours before, and the dress in question was actually a shirt. See the fashion crime and tell us--is she cute or should she get the boot?

malldress.jpg
Every year, girls' dresses seem to be getting shorter and shorter (as we get older and older). But when they're wearing shirts as dresses...hmmm. Kymberly Clem, 20, was thrown out of a Kentucky mall Saturday because the "dress" she was wearing was deemed too short by security guards. (Who knew they had such power?)

"The article of clothing that she is trying to pull off as a dress is actually a top--it was purchased at one of our retail stores," says Vickey Strunk, Richmond Mall manager. "We have a dress code here...if you are coming here to shop today, and you come in wearing a top with no pants, then we are going to ask you to leave."

Clem tells a different story: "I was walking through and 10 minutes after I was there, the security guard approached me, asked me to step aside, made me completely do a turn around while he stared me up and down and then asked me to leave because my outfit was too provocative and people's husbands was [sic] looking at me."

Men weren't the only ones staring.  One mother with small children complained because she says Klem's dress was so short you could see her thong.

The tank shirt, called a club shirt, was purchased at a Deb clothing stores in the mall. "We've seen this a million times," says a rep from Deb Stores. "Girls are always buying shirts as dresses--it depends really on your height, whether you can pull it off."

Because of the incident, the Richmond mall says they might have to update their dress code. "On our doors we clearly have posted 'no shoes, no shirt, no service,'" jokes Strunk. "Well, I guess I'm going to have to add 'no pants' to that."

Do you think the trashy looks sold in stores should be banned from malls?

What's up with wearing a shirt as a dress?! It's just one of the many fashion trends we wish would go away. Check out our photo gallery:

next: Momlogic in the News
Saundra August 13, 2008, 6:57 PM

This America. I am sick and tired of the lack of freedoms here. If you don’t like it, don’t look. If you don’t want your kids to look that way, open up a discussion about it.
Let’s not forget people are about what is on the inside, not what they wear.
This is more about womens’ insecurities than the dress.
There is no doubt about it…the real “disability” comes from sight.
Let’s get real!!!

Dorothy August 13, 2008, 6:57 PM

Hi. She’s wearing a shirt and no bottoms aside from her thong underwear inside a mall. Even if you can barely see her underwear, even if you can’t see them at all, she’s wearing a SHIRT with NO PANTS!

r gleeson August 13, 2008, 6:58 PM

#1- It is a shirt, not a mini-dress
#2- It is worse than “hot pants”
#3- There is a proper time and place for everything-This is wron in so many ways

Rmit August 13, 2008, 6:58 PM

i love the double standard because it allows women to be deemed as whores just because they choose to show a little skin. Personal opinion aside, i don’t think that it was fair to kick her out of the mall when young boys walk around all the time with their boxers hanging out of their pants.

Rickey August 13, 2008, 6:59 PM

Dont throw out girls that look like this. Throw out all the ugly old folks. I am one, wait a minute.

bill woods  August 13, 2008, 7:02 PM

I sure wish I were a female and could “get away” with getting jobs, promotions, and not paying for dinners out … just by showing a little skin.

Life is not fair for us males … except we DO get to enjoy looking … and WHY should THAT be a crime if they want to SHOW ??

Inkling August 13, 2008, 7:03 PM

Women wearin’ their butts on their chest
Thinkin’ that makes them look the best.
Goin’ to the beach with skin exposed
I see them and think “They need clothes”
Their bodies are too big
The men in speedos too old.
Where did they ever learn to be so bold?
Save the sexy for the bedroom,
We all don’t want to see it.
And if you don’t look fine,
Stop tryin’ to be it!

Alfie August 13, 2008, 7:04 PM

That’s what they call a Jet skirt. It has easy access to the Cockpit

Strmrdr19 August 13, 2008, 7:07 PM

Maybe I’m confused. I’m looking at the top pic for this article. If this is the attire in question, then it looks fine to me. It is short, but nothing to short in my opinion.

Nikkie August 13, 2008, 7:07 PM

ITS A SHIRT NOT A DRESS. If you can afford the damn shirt im sure you can afford the pants to go with it. Or perhaps buy a REAL dress?

Jim M August 13, 2008, 7:09 PM

During the short dress caper, I wonder what the shoplifting loss was for the surrounding stores. If the mall wants a dress code, they should refer to local grade schools. “X number of inches above the knee”, Then they could hire additional security guards and teach them how to use rulers. Lets not even get in to the matrons, and men, who wear skin tight pants, shorts, or pedal pushers and stand 5’7” and weigh 280#. The malls should also look into beefing up the legal departments.

Inkling August 13, 2008, 7:11 PM

OK, Mini, Midi, and Maxi have been the skirt or dress for women since the 70’s. This is NOT a new style. It may be a new style for KY, though, who seems to still be in the dark ages. They only moved from the coal mining industry to the Japanese auto industry as a business about 17 years ago. Go figure that they are behind the times.

C J Dunmore August 13, 2008, 7:13 PM

So what’s the big deal? Some cow gets ticked off that she doesn’t look nearly as good? Just don’t look.

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 7:15 PM

everyone who commented that if a fat girl were wearing the dress it would be wrong is violating MY civil right to freedom of dress. i would not wear such an item as shown - it is too long to be a shirt (would add weight bunched up in pants) and would not wear it as a dress as i no longer have the slim figure it takes to walk in a short micro-mini! prvately owned malls (and i know of none owned by cities) have the right to refuse service to anyone they please,but do not expect them to shop there anymore if you do. most people shop where they AND their money are welcome. racism is not an issue, good taste is! all ethnic groups are expected to dress appropriately for the public (outside their bedrooms) places they frequent! color or lack of doesn’t guarantee good taste, but some of the words i’ve viewed about this article show class is lacking across the board!
nursing mothers are beautiful - someone bending over and showing their rear, now that is not beauty-just poor advertising. maybe they need a top quoting their prices. or maybe we need to make sure those with their pants half way down get a pair that fit and a belt to hold them up! girls and boys need education in the schools on what is and is not correct dress. we have dress codes in public schools, maybe we need dress codes to shop. if young people can’t judge what is and is not correct, then they need proper role models. neat, clean and covered is better than sloppy and hanging out any day - leave something to the imagination! that is - if we have any imagination after 20 yrs of “display it if you’ve got it”. people wonder why sex crimes are on the rise?

Cyndi August 13, 2008, 7:16 PM

I was recently at one of our popular malls, there was a young woman there that had on a pair of shorts and you could see the cheeks of her rear. That should be baned also.

Sara August 13, 2008, 7:19 PM

Seems to me a little trashy, but she’s just a young kid who probably likes to dress for the shock effect. I bet more than the security guard gave her the once or twice over. Its a free country, she can wear what she wants, as long as she isn’t breaking any decency laws. Just don’t come running for help if some guy decides to take her up on her visual offer.

sarah August 13, 2008, 7:21 PM

it would be alright if she wore black leggins under it. without them she looks like a skeez

Mike August 13, 2008, 7:22 PM

It’s funny, but the kids who wear their pants down below their buttcheeks don’t know that this practice originated in federal prisons, and it was a way for gays to advertise that their butts were for sale.

mohawk mikey August 13, 2008, 7:23 PM

anyone who says society should have dress codes are probably just saying that cause their too fat to fit into something that looks amazing on much thinner girls

Rock August 13, 2008, 7:25 PM

I think the dress looks fine, if it is long enough to cover her butt its a dress. The only women that find it offensive are overweight cows and jealous wife’s handcuffing their men. Thank god my wife is not like that and points them out for me :) But she happens to be secure and works out 5 days a week, my advice is get to the gym and you will feel better about yourself…..