'Dress' Gets Girl Booted

First, it was the case of a criminal prom dress. Now, a young woman is tossed from the mall for wearing a short dress. Funny thing is, she bought the little number at that very mall hours before, and the dress in question was actually a shirt. See the fashion crime and tell us--is she cute or should she get the boot?

malldress.jpg
Every year, girls' dresses seem to be getting shorter and shorter (as we get older and older). But when they're wearing shirts as dresses...hmmm. Kymberly Clem, 20, was thrown out of a Kentucky mall Saturday because the "dress" she was wearing was deemed too short by security guards. (Who knew they had such power?)

"The article of clothing that she is trying to pull off as a dress is actually a top--it was purchased at one of our retail stores," says Vickey Strunk, Richmond Mall manager. "We have a dress code here...if you are coming here to shop today, and you come in wearing a top with no pants, then we are going to ask you to leave."

Clem tells a different story: "I was walking through and 10 minutes after I was there, the security guard approached me, asked me to step aside, made me completely do a turn around while he stared me up and down and then asked me to leave because my outfit was too provocative and people's husbands was [sic] looking at me."

Men weren't the only ones staring.  One mother with small children complained because she says Klem's dress was so short you could see her thong.

The tank shirt, called a club shirt, was purchased at a Deb clothing stores in the mall. "We've seen this a million times," says a rep from Deb Stores. "Girls are always buying shirts as dresses--it depends really on your height, whether you can pull it off."

Because of the incident, the Richmond mall says they might have to update their dress code. "On our doors we clearly have posted 'no shoes, no shirt, no service,'" jokes Strunk. "Well, I guess I'm going to have to add 'no pants' to that."

Do you think the trashy looks sold in stores should be banned from malls?

What's up with wearing a shirt as a dress?! It's just one of the many fashion trends we wish would go away. Check out our photo gallery:

next: Momlogic in the News
Anon. August 13, 2008, 7:26 PM

I think it is time someone takes a stand before they go naked in public. If you want to be noticed then look decent. That’s unusal now.

U R Kiddin Mee August 13, 2008, 7:32 PM

Don’t worry Kymberly! You can always come over to my house and model that dress. Afterwards we can go to your place and shore up your trailer and drink some Bulldog Malt Liquor!

tony August 13, 2008, 7:32 PM

If you sale it you can bann it period the end! Either stop making it avilable to the coustomers if this is a more conservative mall then the clothing should know this. Malls are aloud to have polices in place however they should screen who rents floor space for the shops also and the merchandise they will be saling to the public. I don’t have a problem with it thank God for summer and this free country and the great looking ladies who make life tolerable what we going to go back to uniforms to go out in public next. If you don’t like it move.

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 7:35 PM

The mall is privately owned; they can refuse service to anyone they want.

kimberli  August 13, 2008, 7:36 PM

walking thru the mall looking like a hooker, when there are families around in broad daylight…. if someone really wants to see her thong, let them ask her, and let them go somewhere the rest of us don’t have to be forced to see it….. it’s kind of like “preaching on television and going to church… if you want to, cool…. if you don’t it’s your choice…. you don’t cram it down someone’s throat…. if you are telling them, and they don’t want to hear, stop…. shut up…. move on….. this is freedom, people, freedom to CHOOSE….. and walking around in shirts is violation of everyone else’s freedom to choose NOT to see your rear end hanging out….. keep it at home for the love of your life, your spouse….. your other half…..

Dana August 13, 2008, 7:36 PM

It certainly wasn’t haute couture, but offensive? I don’t know about all that….

Tammie August 13, 2008, 7:37 PM

I can’t believe her mother let her out of the house like that. Or brother, father or friend even!

bakermom August 13, 2008, 7:38 PM

Why not impose sanctions on the store that sold her the questionable clothing?! If you’re going to harass the store’s customers, then make sure that the store gets in trouble too. By the way, the mom who saw this girl…has she ever been in or near Abercrombie & Fitch or a Victoria Secret store? Give me a break. The girl looks fine. Leave her alone. And good for her for getting so much press…too bad the store wasn’t mentioned so everyone who wanted to could run out and purchase this cute “little” number!

M August 13, 2008, 7:39 PM

So now we have the Virtue Police in America ? I thought they are in Iran, Saudia and some other arab countries.What’s next, a burka will be the only accepted dress for malls? Is this the begining?

BHTHOM August 13, 2008, 7:47 PM

How people dress is a matter of personal expression and nobody else’s business. What gives anyone the right to tell another person what they should or should not attatch to their own body?

Don August 13, 2008, 7:47 PM

I live in Richmond KY. Sounds like some old lady was unhappy that her husband was checking out the young chicky poo and didn’t like it. I have never heard of anyone calling the security guards over it. She looked fine to me and I’m 65

Qusimoto August 13, 2008, 7:49 PM

I guess in a world of free everything, You have the right to wear whatever it is you want, at the same time people have the right to ban it. This is a big story about nothing because it all begins at home. They shy away from nudity or partial nudity and it makes them want more. At the same time, this whole story makes no sense because we have more to worry about than a short dress.

regina August 13, 2008, 7:53 PM

the real story is what makes this young girl need to expose herself to get negative attention? wheres her mother? why should young children and families have to be exposed to playboy in the mall where they are probably shopping for school you want to show your ass go to a club where there are people who are old enough to decide to look or not

Sosumi August 13, 2008, 7:58 PM

“men were looking at her”. A quote from the mall police. Are they associates of “Cartman”? “respect my authoritie”. I am sure there has to be some religious bent here. So, like “Lot”, don’t look back so you don’t have to spew alot of hypocritical salt.

cruzer August 13, 2008, 7:58 PM

So what do you dumb-azz women do when you take your kids to the beach or swimming pool and the young ladies are wearing really tight bikinis? Does it Really matter WHERE a scantily clad young girl is? You hypocrits are all the same….Go live in Russia…..

Rob August 13, 2008, 7:59 PM

Oooh yummy, I’d eat her any second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year etc.

Jenny August 13, 2008, 8:00 PM

Okay come on people. Did anyone watch the video? They showed several angles and you could NOT see her thong. Now it may not be the most appropriate piece of clothing, but I have seen much shorter parading as dresses. What about Daisy Dukes shorts that show half these girls butts? I think it is stupid to judge. Let people wear what they want as long as they are not nude why should it matter?

Candace August 13, 2008, 8:01 PM

I do agree that she is able to wear whatever she chooses to wear, but unless she is asking for negative attention and wanting to to look easy, she should have worn something a little different to a public place like a mall. I mean I could understand if she was going to a club or party, it would be expected…but even at that, you are bringing yourself the wrong attention and not asking for respect. There is a way to dress that can still be sexy but yet respectful, and this is not it!

Rob August 13, 2008, 8:01 PM

Wow! She looks very nice and very tasty!

Sanji Puntar August 13, 2008, 8:02 PM

Good for security!! Such clothing (if you call it such) should not be worn in public…except maybe, at a beach. The girl is an unprincipled pig who deserved to be thrown out of the mall.