'Dress' Gets Girl Booted

First, it was the case of a criminal prom dress. Now, a young woman is tossed from the mall for wearing a short dress. Funny thing is, she bought the little number at that very mall hours before, and the dress in question was actually a shirt. See the fashion crime and tell us--is she cute or should she get the boot?

malldress.jpg
Every year, girls' dresses seem to be getting shorter and shorter (as we get older and older). But when they're wearing shirts as dresses...hmmm. Kymberly Clem, 20, was thrown out of a Kentucky mall Saturday because the "dress" she was wearing was deemed too short by security guards. (Who knew they had such power?)

"The article of clothing that she is trying to pull off as a dress is actually a top--it was purchased at one of our retail stores," says Vickey Strunk, Richmond Mall manager. "We have a dress code here...if you are coming here to shop today, and you come in wearing a top with no pants, then we are going to ask you to leave."

Clem tells a different story: "I was walking through and 10 minutes after I was there, the security guard approached me, asked me to step aside, made me completely do a turn around while he stared me up and down and then asked me to leave because my outfit was too provocative and people's husbands was [sic] looking at me."

Men weren't the only ones staring.  One mother with small children complained because she says Klem's dress was so short you could see her thong.

The tank shirt, called a club shirt, was purchased at a Deb clothing stores in the mall. "We've seen this a million times," says a rep from Deb Stores. "Girls are always buying shirts as dresses--it depends really on your height, whether you can pull it off."

Because of the incident, the Richmond mall says they might have to update their dress code. "On our doors we clearly have posted 'no shoes, no shirt, no service,'" jokes Strunk. "Well, I guess I'm going to have to add 'no pants' to that."

Do you think the trashy looks sold in stores should be banned from malls?

What's up with wearing a shirt as a dress?! It's just one of the many fashion trends we wish would go away. Check out our photo gallery:

next: Momlogic in the News
Rob August 13, 2008, 8:02 PM

Wow! She looks very nice and very tasty!

Kat August 13, 2008, 8:04 PM

Gee, I guess all of us who were young in the 1960’s should be kicked out of the mall retroactively for wearing all those mini and micro-mini-skirts!

debbie August 13, 2008, 8:04 PM

if they can kick out this child, who looks fantastic in the dress/shirt, why wont they ban these so -called gangstas with their pants down to their knees and underwear hanging out? remember sizzler dresses in the 70’s? they were shorter. im 48 and dress like im 48. if i was 18 n had that figure, i would be right beside her!! as long as she didnt cause a public disturbance, (not including jealous wives) then leave her alone. wish i looked that good lol

flatfoot August 13, 2008, 8:04 PM

if these young women are gonna dress like whores, they should carry “rate” cards. that way we’ll know up front how much the services are gonna cost us.

45 and loving it August 13, 2008, 8:07 PM

My gosh with so many other issue’s these
days who gives a hoot what she wears. If I were her I would gladly take my money to another mall a.s.a.p. As for those husbands, ladies controll your men. The old saying is’ “you can look but not touch.” Shame on that mall for enforcing such rules. The name of the game is making money. I say if girls want to look like a hoochie so be it.I’m 45 and do not judge people by appearence. Guess security has nothing better to do huh?

hlfmoonbay August 13, 2008, 8:09 PM

excuse me, but did the mall security also go after any young idiot male sagging his pants? or older woman shopper going braless with her boobs hanging down to her waist? or older male shopper with the bottom of his belly showing? or for that matter, ANY person walking around sporting an uncovered belly bulge? how about the chicks in their Victoria secret bra tops, cleavage city.

seriously, where do we draw the line?

hmmm... August 13, 2008, 8:15 PM

She should take a grammar course before complaining on TV! Grow up and consider other people for once!

Josie August 13, 2008, 8:15 PM

Sure it may look long enough while she is standing still. It probably is tight enough to ride up and show off her thong. She is standing sideways and it may been see through.

Bob August 13, 2008, 8:20 PM

Most people who write in to say they don’t like this are women. Jealous older women at that. Men who write in to say they don’t like it, are either gay, or their wives/girlfriends are standing over them, watching what they write about article. Any straight man won’t mind seeing a sight like this.

Rob August 13, 2008, 8:24 PM

Oh yes! I’m adding her pic right now to my “personal playtime” photo collection ha ha ha ha ha.

tackett2005 August 13, 2008, 8:25 PM

THE GIRL LOOKS GREAT,THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT HER IN THE WINDOW FOR AN AD,IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE ANYWAY-THEY SELL SOMETHING THAT THEY DONT WANT TO SEE WORN, OH WHY CAUSE THE HAD THE GENIUS TO MAKE HER OWN,WHAT A BUNCH OF BIBLE THUMPING PRUDES

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 8:32 PM

Dude, That girl was hot! Whats the problem? The other day at a Sam’s club there was a lady every bit of 600 pounds wearing a shirt that was too small and spandex shorts! It was not a pretty sight. She didn’t get kicked out! If you got it flaunt it, If not cover up the dimples!

Nicole August 13, 2008, 8:40 PM

This is no different than the looks we had in the 60’s when we wore the same short dresses, hot pants, and such. The difference is society today has reverted to back to the puritan era. I would rather see a woman who can actually fit into the dress wear it than the overweight slobs who try to squeeze hip huggers and belly tees with their fat oozing over the sides, or the people who wear their clothes two sizes too small for their body type with their flab clinging to every nook and cranny - male and female alike. Why don’t the malls bother those people? They are the ones that get more stares because they look ridiculous. At least this girl looked attractive in the outfit, she had the right body type for it.

Glenna August 13, 2008, 8:41 PM

We are certainly diverse in what we see as appropriate. This looks perfectly fine to me. Not something to do hand stands in, but never the less, legal. And she looks lovely.

Christen August 13, 2008, 8:55 PM

nio she should have been allowed to shop. Im from richmond and if you even stop walking in the mall they kick you out. They need to either fire some peope or change the rules. No one even wants to go there anymore so their gonna lose a lot of business.

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 9:12 PM

Why is it when I click on agree, the number goes up, but when I disagree, the number stays the same. No wonder all of these statements have a positive number that agrees with them. If that is on purpose, then this wewbsite sucks.

cathy August 13, 2008, 9:45 PM

Again, I ask, is this the WRONG photo?

There’s no underwear showing, the stomach is covered, the material is thick, and it has wide, all-covering shoulder straps.

This is what I would call a “conservative sundress”. Like for church or something. She just needs a BONNET.

What pic are you all looking at?

Anonymous August 13, 2008, 9:48 PM

Sometimes its not the outfit but who is wearing it. In this case I find Kymberly’s outfit to be fine!

cathy August 13, 2008, 10:07 PM

Well, yeah, she is a little FAT to be wearing anything revealing…but I can’t imagine anyone calling this dress that anyways.

I agree she’d be a little rough in a belly shirt, halter, tube top, etc. She’s kinda cute, but she ain’t no Britney….

Chanesaw August 13, 2008, 10:38 PM

I believe that guys who go in public places without shirts should be tried, convicted, and executed.