'Dress' Gets Girl Booted

First, it was the case of a criminal prom dress. Now, a young woman is tossed from the mall for wearing a short dress. Funny thing is, she bought the little number at that very mall hours before, and the dress in question was actually a shirt. See the fashion crime and tell us--is she cute or should she get the boot?

malldress.jpg
Every year, girls' dresses seem to be getting shorter and shorter (as we get older and older). But when they're wearing shirts as dresses...hmmm. Kymberly Clem, 20, was thrown out of a Kentucky mall Saturday because the "dress" she was wearing was deemed too short by security guards. (Who knew they had such power?)

"The article of clothing that she is trying to pull off as a dress is actually a top--it was purchased at one of our retail stores," says Vickey Strunk, Richmond Mall manager. "We have a dress code here...if you are coming here to shop today, and you come in wearing a top with no pants, then we are going to ask you to leave."

Clem tells a different story: "I was walking through and 10 minutes after I was there, the security guard approached me, asked me to step aside, made me completely do a turn around while he stared me up and down and then asked me to leave because my outfit was too provocative and people's husbands was [sic] looking at me."

Men weren't the only ones staring.  One mother with small children complained because she says Klem's dress was so short you could see her thong.

The tank shirt, called a club shirt, was purchased at a Deb clothing stores in the mall. "We've seen this a million times," says a rep from Deb Stores. "Girls are always buying shirts as dresses--it depends really on your height, whether you can pull it off."

Because of the incident, the Richmond mall says they might have to update their dress code. "On our doors we clearly have posted 'no shoes, no shirt, no service,'" jokes Strunk. "Well, I guess I'm going to have to add 'no pants' to that."

Do you think the trashy looks sold in stores should be banned from malls?

What's up with wearing a shirt as a dress?! It's just one of the many fashion trends we wish would go away. Check out our photo gallery:

next: Momlogic in the News
Trent August 13, 2008, 11:16 PM

deeescwimintation!!!

Alexia August 14, 2008, 12:31 AM

I don’t think the outfit is appropriate at all HOWEVER I cannot count how many times I have seen inappropriate clothing while shopping in malls. Nothing is said to those people.

And also, I don’t know where the mall people are getting away saying that they have a “dress code”. They do not. All they say is that you have to wear shoes and a shirt. You can’t make up rules off the cuff because you don’t like what someone’s wearing. If she wasn’t aware of the rule (it wasn’t posted), then you can’t get her in trouble for it.

cheri August 14, 2008, 2:35 AM

I’m just glad she had a thong underneath. Could have been worse ewwwwwwwwww.

karen August 14, 2008, 7:33 AM

what has happened to decency and respect-only men will look with acceptance on this. What happens when she bends over? This ‘shirt dress’ is ugly, but, who’s looking at the design?

jeff August 14, 2008, 8:31 AM

If she looks good in it, go for it ,

TEGAN August 14, 2008, 9:20 AM

Is this seriously anything different than what we all wore or saw in the 80’S????? I don’t see it any different. She’s 20…not necessarily a WOMAN yet. Same as I always did at that age in the late 80’s.

deecee August 14, 2008, 10:58 AM

Hey………….as a man I can tell you I would much rather see a hot chic in a dress a little too short that all these Boyz from da hood with their pants around their knees and their nasty underwear displayed. This grosses me out far more than a short dress but I never sees these guys getting the boot!

L. August 14, 2008, 4:40 PM

Women were complaining to security because their husbands were looking at Kymberly? That sounds like a serious overreaction to me. Why didn’t they just say to their husbands, “Stop checking out other women when you’re with me, it’s rude”?

KAL August 14, 2008, 7:18 PM

I live in Richmond, KY. The dress she has on in the picture is really a shirt. A dozen people complained because you could see her Thong, so security had to finally say something. Please get all the facts.

grendle August 14, 2008, 7:54 PM

perfect! no pants! now all she has to do is keep her mouth shut……….nothing downstairs; nothing upstairs!

Hawaii Momma August 14, 2008, 11:01 PM

I find this so funny because I live in Hawaii and this is totally typical for females to dress like this here!

I would recommend that if you are offended by this outfit don’t ever visit Hawaii or you will be in for a big surprise!!! Actually women and girls dress like this and sexier not in only in Hawaii but but all over the Caribbean islands in waaaay skimpier stuff.

So if you are this easily disturbed than you had better take your vacations in those sheltered Kentucky malls or you might be shocked!! aaaaaaaa run for the woods! Sorry people but I just find this ridiculous.

Even if you do think she is dressed like a tramp. Young girls want to feel sexy and they want attention. Hey, some old ones too! I think its fine. I say live and let live. It only bothers you as much as you let it.Too bad if your husbands don’t know how to restrain the rubber necking because it is something most men need to practice if their wives get jealous. talk to your hubby if he is rubber necking all the time and it is bothering you.

Anonymous August 15, 2008, 9:49 AM

i live in KY and have been to that mall many times, but it’s dying and the stores are leaving, so i don’t go there anymore. however, if i knew THAT chick was there, i’d have made a special trip. i just think it’s a stupid business decision to eliminate the last thing that might attract me to the place. and, i’ve seen the ‘wives’ that typically are in there, think jerry springer audience, but fatter and less attractive. i bet the uggos complained.

Tim August 16, 2008, 2:04 PM

Her dress is no big deal. You see things ten times more reavling than that everywhere. How about those women/girls who wear bikini tops and a pair of daisy dukes? Are they dressed to revealing? Are you people going to call them whores? People can dress how they want if you don’t like it, don’t look. I’m not a huge fan of guys wearing thier shorts at thier knees giving a a good look at thier soiled boxers but I’m not about to tell them to pull thier pants up. Same thing with women. If you want to show off your body or look “trashy” that’s your business. People need to bud out of other peoples affairs. Stop this “nanny state” bs and go about your own life.

Anonymous August 17, 2008, 10:20 AM

if stores or businesses are going to put a dress code on females dresses then they should put one on the guys who want to wear their pants half way down showing their underwear!!!!

Eric August 18, 2008, 10:36 AM

Lets remove all the personal feelings of liking or not liking the way she looked, if it was trashy or whorish. Was she doing anything wrong? NO! No one is responsible for others looking at them. Husbands looking at others… That is not a crime. We are all humans and have a desire for mental stimulus. If that is it than so be it. Are we going to develop a way to live to not bother someone else? No. There are lots of things I don’t like to see. Over weight women trying to dress sexy, people finding sexy cloths to be trashy, high heels for hookers… The list goes on. I understand those that think or feel this way like what they like. I may not agree, but that is my problem and I should not make it theirs. Let the lady wear what she wants. She is not harming anything, there isn’t a problem. I would rather see security doing something to help the shoppers… Like stop criminals. I will not be supporting this mall with my business.

Anonymous August 19, 2008, 2:51 PM

A mall is not a public place…. Its private property & so they had every right to ask her to leave there property.

captjack August 20, 2008, 11:24 PM

The best part of this story is that SECURITY GUARDS booted her. Those rent-a-cops always think they have more power then they do. Back in my days of mall surfing, they liked to harass us and tell us unless we were shopping we had to leave. One actually tried to choke me once! The subject of this story should be “mall security guard lets power go to his head” rather than the trumped up reason they invented to abuse their “power”.

Tiana August 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

Well personally as a teen I do sometimes where tight clothing only because i seem to be growing by the minute so there are definetly other reasons for wearing tight clothes other then to look :sexy”

But yeah she should have atleast wore leggings. She was in the wrong.

free & brave August 24, 2008, 1:49 PM

Last I checked we were in the ‘Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE’. If a woman is Brave enough to wear it than she should be FREE to do so. What’s next? Kicking people out of the mall for walking in a way that’s deemed too sexy? I wonder if mall security would consider kicking out boys/men who wear there pants so low that you can not only see their underwear but their skid marks too?!

Rebekah C August 26, 2008, 8:55 PM

She has the figure for it, but she looks way too slutty and trashy. You can have a nice body, wear smokin’ hot clothes, and still not look like you’re advertising your bod for sale. So was not the case in this situation.