3 Kid Lunches under 3 Bucks

With the kids going back to school, it seems like there are so many added expenses. We can help. Here's how to feed your kids healthy meals without breaking the bank.

Friend of momlogic and registered dietitian Diane Henderiks has three lunches that will satisfy your little ones and put less strain on your wallet.

Lunch #1
Natural Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich on 100% Whole Wheat Bread, carrot sticks, 1% milk, and fresh strawberries.

Breakdown
Peanut butter - .15
Banana - .23
2 slices whole wheat - .32
Carrot sticks - .10
1% milk - .27
Fresh strawberries - .20
Total - $1.27

Lunch #2:
Turkey & low-fat cheese wrap, cucumber slices w/ ranch dip, apple, and a bottle of water.

Breakdown
Turkey breast - .37
Low-fat cheese - .50
Spinach - .08
Mayo - .05
Whole wheat wrap - .38
Cucumber slices - .16
Ranch dip - .10
Grapes - .50
Bottle of water - .20
Total - $2.34

Lunch #3:
Bento box/buffet: Hard boiled egg, cheese stick, 5 multigrain crackers, trail mix, broccoli w/ ranch dip, natural applesauce, and a bottle of water.

Breakdown
Egg - .16
Cheese stick - .38
Crackers - .25
Trail mix - .18
Broccoli - .28
Ranch dip - .10
Applesauce - .10
Bottle of water - .20
Total - $1.65

Keep in mind that all these prices are based on buying the items in bulk. So stock up (who doesn't love Costco?) and you'll save.

Read more food and entertaining stories

next: Moms Are Talking About
Anonymous August 25, 2008, 12:25 PM

I’d like to see the nutritional breakdown for these meals. They sound great! I think my kids would eat all of this, with the exception of maybe the spinach.

birdsfly August 25, 2008, 4:38 PM

I’m obsessed with bento lunches. If you do them right you have great nutrition with a lot of food variety. They’re also super fun to make in creative ways, i have veggie cutters shaped like flowers, I make little “octopus” hot dogs and I love making onigiri (rice balls) with different yummy fillings. If you don’t know about bentos google it, you won’t be disappointed!

rradiogirl August 26, 2008, 10:27 PM

I like the idea of sending a kid to school with lunch that includes both a boiled egg and broccoli! I’m sure his afternoon classes will be a gas!

Shelley August 27, 2008, 9:16 AM

I would LOVE to be able to send my child to school with a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It is healthy, nutritious and tasty, unfortunately as the dietitian should know, bring peanut butter, or any peanut product on to school grounds is a big NO-NO, and has been for the past 8 years that my son has been in school. This is due to children with peanut allergies.

diane August 29, 2008, 6:50 PM

Hi Shelley,
That is a great point, however, in many school systems whether or not you can bring in peanut butter depends on if there is a child who is allergic in the classroom. Thankfully, my kids have been able to bring it in for many years. You do have the weekends and quick dinners for pb&b :)

Leigh September 8, 2008, 10:58 AM

Another fan of bento here since my daughter hates sandwiches. I pack leftovers, leftovers, leftovers. Today: 3 BBQ’d ribs, strawberries, and orange slices.