A-List Stars Help Heath Ledger's Daughter

Some famous actors are stepping up to help Heath's little girl.

When Heath Ledger died on January 22, 2008, he was in the middle of filming The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell stepped in to play versions of Heath's character -- made possible because the story crosses from London to parallel worlds.

Since the movie wrapped, it has been revealed that the actors are donating their paychecks from the film to Heath's daughter, Matilda. Heath hadn't updated his will before his death to include Michelle Williams or his 2-year-old daughter. Matilda's claim to Ledger's entire estate -- likely to be worth up to $20 million -- is to be decided in an Australian court, it was reported last month.

Three A-list actors donating their earnings to help a friend's child--definitely thoughtful and--to be honest--kind of makes them that much hotter, don't you think?

But, one could argue that Matilda--if she ends up with her dad's money--doesn't really need more, does she? Never mind the fact that Michelle Williams isn't exactly waiting tables at night to pay the bills.

What do you think--More money for Matilda or cash to other kids?

matilda_ledger_click_to.jpg
People Magazine's Sexiest Men Alive Twenty Something Moms

next: Should We Lower the Drinking Age?
foxymama August 21, 2008, 4:18 PM

matilda deserves to be a major benefactor of her late father’s estate. would he really have wanted it differently?

kimberly_s August 21, 2008, 4:57 PM

in this case, i totally get why they gave it to matilda, since it was a personal tribute to heath ledger. but in general, it would be nice if celebs in general heard this and started thinking about how many truly needy kids there are in this world. if they each only sacrificed their film salary once, they could really change so many lives.

Kate August 22, 2008, 11:16 AM

Not to sound like a total jerk, but why should they donate their paychecks? I’m sure that lots of people in Hollywood generously give and we just don’t hear about it. Yeah, they make a lot of money, but they work hard for it! I understand that kimberly_s is suggesting that they only donate their salary from one film, but I just don’t understand why people think they can tell celebrities how to spend their money. So what if they’re millionaires, they worked hard to earn those paychecks, and they deserve to spend the money how they please without judgment from the public.

Anonymous August 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

Dumb jerk should have updated his will.

Kate August 22, 2008, 2:30 PM

What twenty-something is concerned about updating his will? Seriously. I’m 25, and I don’t have a will. I should, but I don’t because honestly, death is not at the forefront of my mind right now.

I think it’s terribly disrepectful for you to call him a “dumb jerk” for not being prepared for death when he was in his twenties. I’m pretty sure that most twenty-somethings, even those with kids and with millions of dollars, do not have updated wills. That’s no reason to be name-calling.

Gilly August 23, 2008, 3:37 AM

I think that the idea is a lovely one but really, this is one kid that doesn’t need a handout. I applaud their desire to do such a generous thing but maybe next time they could donate the money to someone that needs it - there are plenty of people out there that do. Still … it’s nice to see people doing something nice for someone else.