Put THAT in Your Pipe and Smoke It

Guest blogger Jacqui Steinhart: I should have known the minute I broached this subject with my husband we'd end up in a fight.

no_pot2.jpg
He's a former fraternity member who spent his time stoned in the basement of a frat house in New Hampshire. But I'd just seen Seth Rogen, writer and star of the recently released Pineapple Express, on TV--and I had to say something to the first person I saw.

"This 26-year-old is on national television telling kids to drop out of high school and get stoned a lot as a path to success!"

"He's joking," my husband said, unfazed.

"No, I really don't think he is! This worked for him!  Seth Rogen is highly respected in Hollywood.  The guy makes a lot of money being a stoner and just said he wishes "he could be high all the time" and "highly recommends it." Jon Stewart was quick enough to say, "That's great, but you don't mean my kids, right?"

Which is exactly how I feel.

Apparently, smoking pot is the new black.  It's featured in every comedy Judd Appatow has put out and a few others too.

Call me 1950s, call me Nancy Reagan, call me whatever you want, but I don't want my kids thinking smoking pot is terrific pastime or a golden ticket.

next: Moms Are Talking About...
Anonymous August 8, 2008, 3:44 PM

Oh, that’s right, I forgot. Movies are real now.

Anonymous August 8, 2008, 5:04 PM

Here’s an old 50’s saying that still holds true: everything in moderation. You think pot is bad. What’s up with those happy meals your kids are eating? Just saying.

Virginia August 8, 2008, 5:27 PM

I totally agree. This incident is just an example of how teenagers in any society can be so easily influenced. I don’t think you’re freaking out, I think you’re exactly right. And we all know it because we’ve all been there when we were teens and tried to imitate what we saw in the media. Maybe we didn’t take it as far as we fear our kids would, but there are some kids who do take it too far. And for those kids, we need to do everything in our power to keep them on the right track.

If we lived in a perfect world, there wouldn’t be any school shootings, there wouldn’t be eating disorders, etc. I’m not saying that those incidents occur strictly because of the media (obvoiusly there are psychological factors), but there would be far fewer incidents if the media wasn’t as extreme. And again, for those kids who are apt to take what they see in the media too far, we need to be wise parents.

cara August 8, 2008, 11:49 PM

What about those drug commercials constantly on the telly? Side effects may include…..go to www. now to get your free sample. It’s the epitome of the classic drug dealers they taught us about during the ‘80’s. Giving the free samples to get you hooked. I think everyone should get off the real drugs and pick up a j for chrissakes. Besides, cannibus is one of the fastest growing plants, thus it would help clean the oxygen levels, not to mention it’s OIL can be used as a replacement for the black oil which has caused us so much destuction. ( cannibus = fuel, food, plastics, fabric, the list can go on and on ) I firmly believe that the change in views of the cannibus plant is the conerstone of a whole new world. Remember, much if not all of what you have been taught about cannibus has been propaganda. Disect that word and think about it.

cara August 8, 2008, 11:51 PM

P.s. your husband turned out okay, you did marry him. He didn’t turn into a crack head turning tricks for his next fix, and he smoked some herb, probably still does.

April August 9, 2008, 7:01 PM

The solution to this is simple: be careful with what your children watch on TV. I don’t want my children thinking it’s okay to do drugs - therefore, I wouldn’t let them watch a stoner comedy.

You don’t agree with it, so don’t let them watch it. Told you it was a simple solution!

jessie August 10, 2008, 7:47 PM

I think that when it comes to the messages hollywood is sending children, smoking pot should be last on your list of worries. If you don’t want your kids to think drugs are cool, don’t let them watch the movie. What would you rather have, censorship? It’s an adult comedy made for adults…that’s why it is rated R. I don’t see what your problem is here…?? I’d be more worried about peer pressure from other children and older siblings/friends when it comes to drugs, not hollywood comedy.

karina August 12, 2008, 12:33 AM

PEOPLE, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE YOUR KIDS SMOKE SOME POT WITH YOU OR WITH ANNOTHER PERSON?

Sirus you people think you can tell your kid what to wathc, get real you can’t control what they do or wathc wen you’re not arround, it’s better if you talk to your kid about pot and it’s not bad realy, cigarrets are the worst, if they gonna used thers probably nothing you can do ‘cause you won be there.