New Teen Trend: Elf Ears

Listen up moms: The next big teen trend might be "elf ears."

There was a time way back when the worst thing a teen could do was get her ears pierced maybe even (gasp!) multiple times. That's so old school--and each generation must up the ante when it comes to shocking their parents.

The latest shocking trend? Ear sculpting! Why is this bizarre practice getting so popular? According to Dr. Lajos Nagy, a New York plastic surgeon: "Sculpted ears not only enhance the attractiveness of the face, but also improve the experience of listening to music." Maybe the doctor needs to buy himself some Bose speakers.

Whatever the reason, the surgical procedure has been slowly catching on with the young and daring. Body modification artist Russ Foxx has been sculpting ears for years and will only perform the operation on 18-year-olds or older, according to Shaughnessy Keely, a rep from his piercing shop, The Fall. "He'll do a few sessions and he'll sculpt your ear and make it pointy."

Put more graphically, elf ears are created by slicing the top of the cartilage on the ear and then sewing it back together. Hmm, suddenly "tramp stamps" aren't looking that bad.

As with a tattoo, reversing the process isn't always that easy, "It wouldn't ever look exactly the same as it used to if reversed," Shaughnessy warns. "The folds would never be the same."

Would your kid get an earful if he or she came home sporting elf ears?

Trends We Wish Would Go Away

Anonymous August 21, 2008, 1:08 PM

GROSS!

Amber August 21, 2008, 1:18 PM

I really hope all these things will be long gone in 13 years when my oldest are 18. Hahaha.

Sha August 21, 2008, 2:17 PM

Are they all making a STAR TREK MOVIE ??

katryna August 21, 2008, 5:58 PM

Pretty crazy cool XD

Erin Kokoszka August 21, 2008, 6:07 PM

You have got to be kidding me! That is the silliest thing I have EVER seen…Help me Jesus if my daughter came home looking like that…we would be marching right to the plastic surgeon’s office to have them put back the way they came out!!!

Trini Hernandez August 21, 2008, 6:38 PM

if my daughter ever gets these i will be so disappointed. She already has a many tattoos and piercings, i can only imagine that one day she’ll do something this extreme.

Anonymous August 21, 2008, 9:45 PM

Another dumb fad. They will regret it when they get older. Are young people today that STUPID?

TMD August 21, 2008, 9:51 PM

UNFORTUNATELY, all generations have their “fads”…while I would be incredibly horrified, disappointed and angry if my children came home looking like a Christmas elf, I’d be hypocritical to discipline them. I, myself, was a victim of generation X; I can only pray that they will use their best judgment, understand that there are consequences to all actions, and remember what I teach them.

praying4baby#2 August 22, 2008, 12:11 AM

that’s INSANE!!

WAHM Tara August 22, 2008, 4:20 PM

For some reason this does not surprise me at all. After seeing teens and young adults into tongue splitting.

This is however one of those fads that will mark someone for ever, and hopfully those making the decision to modify their body that much will think of the long term affects they may face.

I am not sure what one I find more bizarre, the elf ears or the tongue splitting.

monnie August 24, 2008, 1:04 PM

why on earth would anyone want to look like that?

Theresa August 30, 2008, 6:45 PM

I can’t decide if I think it’s horrible or rather interesting. I think I’ve been reading too many sci-fi/fantasy novels… I definitely will NOT be mentioning this fad to my daughters.

Hannah September 4, 2008, 4:03 PM

OMG people you are all overreacting and TMD i doubt that your daughter would do it to look like a “christmas” elf just a regular elf im surprised this fad didnt come around sooner cause of the lord of the rings movie and i for one as an 18 year old am considering doing it

Tamika October 20, 2008, 9:27 PM

Before everyone makes comments like its gross or how pathetic or just another dumb fad i think you all need to remember that when you were young you would have went through your own fads. Probally not as extreme as these ones but times are changing, we arent living in the 70’s anymore!! Its called being a teenager and its good to be different and express yourself however you want, which at times can be hard with people constantly judging you! Get over it, if you dont like it you dont have to get it done!

Pixie Moilanen October 24, 2008, 2:26 PM

I hope people aren’t going to get this done for the sake of getting it done, I have to agree with everyone’s point of view on this as, I, myself have ‘elf ears’- no joke… I never got plastic surgery, I’m naturally like that, in school I was always teased, hell, I still am because of it but I didn’t and don’t care because it meant and means I’m different from everyone, I always wear bandana’s, hat’s and hoodies to cover them, I guess my fellow Glaswegians aren’t used to seeing ‘elf ears,’ I’m going to leave now but think carefully about wanting this done and whatnot, take it from me- I don’t belong and I won’t belong

Jade October 29, 2008, 4:56 AM

No, young people aren’t THAT stupid, and it’s actually really insulting that you would say that. I’m 18 years old and I think that is the nastiest, weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. When you mothers go out and wear “mom jeans” (very high in the waist, baggy leg, tight around they ankle), i don’t say “wow, are they THAT dumb to go out in public dressed like that and not realize that they look like crap?” .. maybe you should think about who your words are insulting before you say them.

Dimruthien October 29, 2008, 9:02 AM

Ear pointing is not at all common. I can’t believe how narrow-minded you people are being. A person’s reasons for modifying their body is their own business, and I’m shocked you people are more concerned about this cosmetic modification when there are much more horrible things happening out there (FGM. Look it up).

Grow some balls and get some tolerance!

Dimruthien October 29, 2008, 9:06 AM

By the way, the fact you’re calling this a “teen trend” is absolutely incorrect. This is not a “teen trend”, or indeed a “trend” at all. This is a “hard core” surgical modification, and people don’t step into it lightly, and teens are most certainly not doing it as a “trend”.

Beth November 25, 2008, 4:09 PM

I am a 36 year old single mother. I was born with “elf” ears, got made fun of thru grade school etc.. but then, in college, everything changed. Men of all types began hitting on me left and right, they told me my ears were “exotic” and sexy. I got laid like a rabbit! My child also has this birth “defect” and I am pleased as punch to see that there is a growing acceptance for people who are different. To those of you who call this look gross or just a fad, I say poppycock and fuckballs!

RPGod January 10, 2009, 10:36 PM

That’s kinda cool. However, 95% of teen will probably regret it.