Pizza and Pancakes: Diet of Champions

Although it may seem like a lot of work and discipline, you'd be surprised as to what some of your favorite athletes are actually eating.

dara_torres_diet.jpg

In a perfect world, we could all pack in 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day by eating pizza, pasta, and sweets like gold medalist Michael Phelps, but life just isn't that kind (and we're just not that motivated).  Phelps' morning consists of three fried-egg sandwiches topped with cheese, tomatoes, fried onions and mayo.

After his morning snack, Phelps gobbles down:

• 2 cups of coffee

• A 5-egg omelet and grits

• 3 pieces of French toast and...

• 3 chocolate chip pancakes.

Three hours later, Phelps sits down for lunch where he chows down on:

• 1 pound of pasta

• 2 ham and cheese sandwiches covered in mayo, and washes it all down with...

• 1,000 calories in energy drinks...

We wish we could stop there, but he still has dinner to go.  For his evening main course Phelps ends the day with another pound of pasta and a whole pizza.  How is this humanly possible?  Oh yeah, we forgot to mention he also works out 5 hours a day, 6 days a week.

With that said, mom and Olympic swimmer Dara Torres has a more "realistic" diet routine. Torres told MSN that she's not one for counting calories, but does watch what she eats. She's a fan of berry-flavored Living Fuel shakes for breakfast with some milk and fruit. For dinner Torres has a mixed green salad, turkey-spinach lasagna, garlic bread and green beans. Lean proteins are also good for a faster recovery. Although she eats plenty of healthy foods, Torres says, "I eat what I want, when I want, but I exercise so I can do that."

Kinsey from Diet in Review has nine tips on how to diet like the Olympic athletes:

1. Don't skip meals. Eat healthy and regularly to maintain optimal health and weight maintenance.

2. Variety Variety Variety! Don't allow yourself to get into a rut, which may end up causing you to snack on your junk food of choice. If you constantly restrict yourself on cravings, you'll end up eating the whole bag of chips next time you try to just have one.

3. Be choosy with your calories. Pick nutrient dense food and avoid empty calories.

4. Limit fat, but do not avoid it. The right kind of fat is important for optimal health. Cut out trans and saturated fats.

5. Choose whole-wheat, whole-grain. Whole grains provide you with fiber, which is great for your health.

6. Go lean with your protein! Try to minimize the amount of red and high in fat meats.

7. Limit or avoid alcohol. Alcohol in moderation (one drink a day) has been shown to provide you with some health benefits.

8. An apple a day. Fill up on fruits and veggies.

9. Include dairy. Pick low-fat or fat-free dairy choices.

next: Jen and John in Splitsville?
Anonymous August 14, 2008, 10:50 AM

If I ate Phelps’ diet, I would be 500 pounds. Guess I better hit the pool!

RossROSE34 July 20, 2010, 12:06 AM

Specialists state that loans aid people to live the way they want, just because they are able to feel free to buy needed stuff. Moreover, a lot of banks offer small business loan for young and old people.

SimpsonJAIME28 August 5, 2010, 2:12 PM

Yes, I agree with it! A useful comments is enormously suggested. Not only for the blog owner, but for our self as well. High academic grades are not a big problem anymore, because you can buy an essay in services that care about you.

Betty August 5, 2010, 5:57 PM

It is so tasty just when smelling!Unfortunately I can’t take it immediately.It is OK if there is such a food plaza.

maggie August 6, 2010, 9:16 AM

How much does these gourmet food cost?Are they expensive?Just to have a look,I have large appetite.As if I have taste it delicious smell.I’m hungry.

May August 10, 2010, 11:08 AM

Jodi34Mcgowan August 12, 2010, 1:56 AM

It can be hard to go in a study world. High school students should fight all the time composing academic papers! Nonetheless, it should be better to ask: “how to write my academic paper “.

JohannaRiggs August 12, 2010, 7:49 AM

Your release about this topic seems to be superior! Thus scholars do not should write the dissertation and thesis title by their own, they could get your assistance.

BoothJustine19 August 16, 2010, 6:45 AM

The thesis papers will be needed by different scholars if include the data just about this good post. I do opine the that is come-at-able to see the thesis writing service that will do that work.

order an essay August 19, 2010, 7:07 AM

The successful students should read your knowledge referring to this post and just order the dissertation international at the buy dissertation service.

College Paper August 19, 2010, 7:08 AM

dissertation Writing September 22, 2010, 1:04 AM

nice post,i like so much,its best information for me,

Dissertation Writing

Vadim21Fomin September 26, 2010, 9:51 PM

Качественный тимбилдинг по хорошей цене

custom essay October 4, 2010, 12:30 AM

A great article indeed and a very detailed, realistic and superb analysis of the current and past scenarios. I would like to thank the author of this article for contributing such a lovely and mind-opening article.

custom essay October 4, 2010, 12:34 AM

Your blog is really excellent. It inspires the readers who has that great desire to lead a better and happier life. Thanks for sharing this information and hope to read more from you.

Christina October 6, 2010, 12:14 AM

I even thought to ignore eating like pizza, pasta etc. so get a better health.
online degree

Dissertaton help October 9, 2010, 1:23 PM

I found this article very informative and i must recommend this one to all of my visitors through my blog.

Thank you for sharing such a nice post.

Regards,
Dissertation help

Term Papers October 13, 2010, 4:52 AM

I do not know if these are Athletes and here their victory is mentioned to tell the World that 21st century of Woman can do that like a man keep doing from always.

Term papers

Al sprinter October 21, 2010, 12:23 AM

As a professional athlete I must say that everyone should stick to a diet only then our bodies could be in a perfect fit.
custom dissertation

Free Essay October 21, 2010, 1:42 AM

My advise to you is that I will perpetually strive to provide significance that provides perfect value & benefit to you everytime you come to this page. Everytime you go here I want you to feel that it’s time and money well spent. . I find it very beneficial especially when you need paper service.