Mr. Mom Is Going to Hell

Are stay-at-home dads lazy in the eyes of God--or just in the eyes of preacher John Hagee?

Evangelist John Hagee preached an interesting interpretation of the Bible to his congregation, basically calling stay-at-home dads lazy and deserving of spending an eternity in hell. Hmm, some SAHDs might already feel like they're in purgatory (think of all those days with sick kids).

Here's what he says:
"For others it's laziness, you're too lazy to work and support your children. I'm talking about men. You call yourself Mr. Mom, God calls you a bum. St. Paul says you are worse than an infidel. Let me look you right in the eye and tell you that hell is your future home if all you do is sit on your backside and let your wife support you in your life."

Does God really cares who puts food on the table?

next: Pet Owners Are Disgusting
Heleney Barton August 27, 2008, 2:26 PM

I agree with him — maybe not about the hell part but who should be home nuturing children— the mother. It seems our society in trying to make the sexes equal have decided men and woman are equally good at everything— it’s just not true. Women make better caretakes. Period. so when one person works in the family it should be the man. Don’t even get me started on the when both parents work and the kids are raised by strangers.

birdsfly August 27, 2008, 4:18 PM

If both parents have to work to support the family and provide adequate care for their child that is their duty. If a family can afford to only have one parent work then it is their job to decide which parent it is based on factors like which parent is in a position to be better equiped to provide for the family. If the largest earner is mom and dad would like to take care of the family then that can be just as good as the other way around. It depends on the family. Some women would be absolutely useless in the house all day but can earn a major salary and some men are better with the home care but don’t have the job skills to independantly support the family.

miserys_fence August 27, 2008, 8:11 PM

Consider the source; John Hagee has proven over and over again to be an assclown and his opinions are not God’s.

As for being lazy—let’s just say it doesn’t appear that Mr. Hagee himself has been burning many calories, if you get my drift. ;-)

cara August 27, 2008, 8:41 PM

Ummmm…should he be calling anyone lazy? I’ve come across him on the tv, and the man is a sloth. If our bodies are our temples,he surely doesn’t care too much about his. You’d have to be a moron to put any credence into anything he says.

Mike August 27, 2008, 9:46 PM

As a new stay at home father, I will be happy to admit that the hardest thing I had to overcome is Pride. God has a plan for each one of us no matter what we think. I fought it as long as I could, but the reality is my wife can make more money than I can and the most important thing in OUR lives is our children. The Bible says that sin is sin and pride is sin, no matter what color we paint it. The Bible makes no reference to who is supposed to be the financial caretaker of the family. The Bible says that the man is supposed to be the head of the household and my responsibility is to lead my family spiritually, emotionally and in obedience to Jesus Christ…even if that means I do it from home!

Tammy August 28, 2008, 8:33 AM

Mike - your comments were right on. The man is the head of the family and as long as you are getting the respect from your wife (as per the bible) and she gets the love from you (as per the bible) then the way YOU lead your family is your busines and it sounds to me like you are doing it the way God intended it to be. Good for you! I wish I could find such a strong, spiritual man as you seem to be.

Kelly August 29, 2008, 1:29 PM

My husband and I are both in school. He wants to be a teacher because he enjoys it and because it will give him summers off to spend with his children. I think that makes him a good father, wanting to be with his kids. If I could get a job that matched or surpassed his salary right now (i will make more than him when I get my degree)then he would stay home and I would work. It is whatever works best for your individual family. Of course; I think religion is just another way to try and exert power over other people. All a bunch of bullshit. If there is a God I doubt he cares either way who stays home with the kids or if both parents work.

Sue September 3, 2008, 12:02 PM

People like him give Christians a bad rap.

mommccoy September 4, 2008, 3:30 PM

First of all I have to say that I have listened to a lot of Pastor Hagees messages and I have enjoyed them all. I am surprised at the harshness in this one. I beleive that he came across wrong in what he was trying to say. God designed a man to have the drive to be the protector and provider. Its in a mans very nature to do those things. Women are more nurturing and understanding by nature. That being said, I don’t think there is anything wrong with a mom working and a dad staying home if he is really doing the full job. He needs to keep up the house and care for the children as well as the mom would, not just sit around and call himself Mr. Mom. St. Paul did say that a man that wouldn’t work was worse than an infedel, but he was refering to men that don’t contribute anything to society. I beleive that caring for the children and the home is a “job.” My husband thrives on providing for our family but I wouldn’t say anything about a man who is caring for his kids. God know your heart.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 10:58 AM

Great info. Enjoyable and fun reading. I have a single observation to give about funny shirts.

Patricia January 13, 2011, 11:09 AM

Hagee is living in Cloud Koo Koo Land. He doesnt have to go out and toil and sweat to earn his living. In a perfect world there’d be a high-paying job for every dad and Mom could stay home and scrub diapers and clean house. But sometimes women are better qualifed to get a decent job and the men have better domestic skills. Hagee can holler all he wants to but the world doesn’t come in a neat little package, we’re in a recession now. though he never feels it because he’s being supported by YOUR faith donations and HE doesn’t have to live by faith, his wealth is already there for him to enjoy. No chicken coop within a 50 mile radius is safe from that big boy.