Reality TV Mom: Abusive?

People are starting to question Kate's behavior on TLC's Jon & Kate Plus Eight. Is her behavior towards John abusive or is she just trying to keep her household together?

pizzapray.jpg

The Gosselins have one set of twins and -- through fertility treatments -- one set of sextuplets.  Their reality show follows their life as they try to keep order in a household filled with young children.  Kate's behavior has been questionable at times, verbally berating her husband and apparently physically slapping him. But he's not laying down and just taking it either. He gives it back to her and they are often seen having immature bickering exchanges.  See clip.

The show's Web site implies that in a typical day, they have to put on 56 pieces of clothing, cook 16 pancakes, clean 80 sticky fingers, do five loads of laundry and make eight trips to the potty all before breakfast -- then he goes to work. That can throw any mom over the edge, right?

Are they bad role models or just honest models of how real families work?

reality_kids_star_galery_thmb.jpg celeb_mom_of_twins_thmb.jpg
Realty Show Kids Celeb Moms of Twins

next: Top 12 Off-Limits Songs for Dads
becki October 3, 2008, 5:14 PM

This is just stupid. No she’s not abusive. Maybe she doesn’t handle everything perfectly, but do you? Seriously, what married couple doesn’t bicker “immaturely.”

Linda October 6, 2008, 6:41 AM

I love watching the show, but I must admit I agree with some others it must be very hard having all those kids and just the noise alone must be something.
Boy Jon must make a good living to pay for everything they need, wonder how much they get for having the show on TLC! I do think Kate should take control of herself sometimes mostly when they are sitting in that chair for their interview, she is always making fun of the way Jon speaks, like she is some kind of prefect speaker, she treats him like he is one of the kids ever notice that, if not watch more closely.

Linda October 6, 2008, 6:46 AM

Could someone please explain to me what kind of hair cut does Kate have, looks like feather’s sometimes on the back of her head. I for myself do not like it.

shirley  October 7, 2008, 1:20 AM

I use to watch the show, but have stopped because I don’t like the way Kate talks to Jon in front of the kids. In one episode Kate told one of the septuplets to ignore his dad because he was mean. I can understand being overwhelmed with so many kids and snapping at each other is pretty normal in any family, but it’s not good parenting to name call or belittle each other in front of the kids. Parents must always be a united front, at least in front of the kids. When they do get a moment alone is when they can voice their dislikes about each other. They should watch the ” Super Nanny show “, at least then they would know how to be a united front with the kids. Kate does come across as a ” Drill instructor ” with-out regards to how Jon feels or how she makes him look, especially on camera. I can only imagine how she is off camera! I have to honestly say I don’t like to watch the show anymore. I sure hope they make some changes in their attitudes, not for them or their show, but for their children’s sake. I wish then all the best.

sue  October 17, 2008, 2:52 PM

You bashers are kidding, right? I had a 3 yr old dtr and then a set of twins. I went right out of my mind! My husband was NO HELP, often worked late and was not at all involved in their care. I yearned for nap time. I give Kate and Jon a lot of credit. You should have heard the yelling and screaming that went on in MY house……………

julia  November 11, 2008, 1:46 AM

Out of curiosity, I watched this show a few times, but stopped watching because I was appalled by Kate’s ongoing annoying, controlling behavior, and how she berates Jon and just about anyone else who doesn’t yield to her commands. I finally said to Heck with the show when I saw the hair transplant episode — it was revolting, especially when Kate moans about how they struggle to survive on Jon’s salary. I should be that unlucky! And I did wonder about Jon’s work — we never saw him at work or doing anything resembling a real job. I finally realized it was a ruse and that both Kate and Jon are parasites making a fine living off their kids, some of whom are already neurotic and resembling Kate.

Joanne Shottenkirk January 26, 2009, 10:15 PM

Yes, they are getting a lot of money. Are they putting most of it away for college expenses? After all. the kids are why they make so much money.They had 2 ,did they really need more???
Joanne

bill January 27, 2009, 8:43 AM

I can’t believe that you all believe that “reality” TV is actually reality. If it’s a 24-7 thing then maybe 10% of true feelings may slip through. It’s only reality when someone do not know they ar being observed.

PCGl January 27, 2009, 8:52 AM

You all have done your job. I’ve never watched the show but will tune in to see what all the fuss is about.

Kit January 28, 2009, 1:33 PM

Let me start out saying Jon and Kate are getting money out of there little children. We were given children for love not money!!! Kate and Jone, but Kate especialy are taking advantage if there kids. Kate is abusive to those children. When was the last time you saw thi kids have what is called FUN. The new house!! It has a pool a barn and it cost 1.3 million dollars. There new neighbors have a pool and a tennis court. All I am saying is Jon and Kate think about the kids whose mothers and fathers are working 24/7 for a nights meal!! Think about it

Brenda February 5, 2009, 9:59 PM

“If a mother of that many kids wants to let off steam, slap her husband, or anything else that you people are finding to gripe about, I say, LET HER BE!” = Pam

WOW if Jon were slapping Kate to “let off steam” then you would be ok with that too? I have to say I find that hard to believe.

Frankly all of these shows were women crank out litters of babies to use them as meal tickets are disgusting and just another example of the path our society is going down. It’s really a sad commentary that these shows are what people consider entertainment..

Anonymous February 13, 2009, 1:19 PM

Hey Melanie

Have you moved to Mexico yet?

Brandi February 17, 2009, 9:05 AM

I couldn’t even finish reading this. This is so typical of Americans. Hey, here is this great new show that the majority of viewers love, so lets try to ruin it. These people have probrably only seen one episode. They love each other, and their kids. Heck, my husband and I joke around like John and Kate do. We tease each other, and have “love pats” We have been together for 8 years, and been married 7 years. We are very happy, we have 2 amazing children which we adore. John and Kate, keep up the good work, don’t buy in to what these ridiculous people are saying. ALSO, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY, I LOVE HOW EVERYONE LOVED THIS SHOW, AND THERE WASN’T REALLY ANY SARCASM TOWARD IT UNTIL THE LADY IN CALIFORNIA HAD OCTUPLETS. SO, OH, WELL IF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO CRITICIZE HER, WELL THEN WE’LL CRITICIZE JOHN AND KATE TOO………GET REAL PEOPLE. If everyone in life wasn’t so worried about what the next person was doing, and if they agreed with it or not, just think of how much better the world would be.

Brandi February 17, 2009, 9:12 AM

You people saying they are just in it to get money out of their kids are ridiculous. So, did you gripe about every other child star? You know, the Olsen Twins, and others? There is a huge difference here. Those kids were put into show business by their parents. They didn’t get to stay at home, and be themselves like John & Kate’s kids do. This show was made to show people daily life with 8 kids. John & Kate were skeptical about doing it at first too. But now they have, and millions of Americans love them. And, being Americans, you’ll always have people out there trying to ruin a good thing.

Lindsay March 3, 2009, 12:25 PM

I can’t wait until this show ends!Kate needs to get off her high horse.She has some serious issues.”Narcissist” pretty much describes her to a T. Jon lost his position as husband and Father a long time ago, as far as Kate is concerned.Kate reminds me and many of my friends of Nancy Grace.Hammering away at anyone who has a voice to be heard,just because she is an egomaniac that needs to be in charge. I feel deep empathy for Jon.He is the type of fun and chilled Dad that every child would dream of having.Unfortunately,I can’t say the same for Kate.When these 8 children grow up,they will most definitely be much closer to Jon because he is so approachable and warm.Kate will feel so left out and bewildered as to why they gravitate to Jon.For she won’t be able to ever put herself in their shoes,because everything is and always will be about HER.

Sickofthem March 5, 2009, 10:39 PM

I’m amazed that we as a culture enjoy and thrive on watching acts of public humilation. Seems we are still barbaric in attitude.Ever read about the christians being thrown in the lions den? And to think that it’s encouraged by money and lots of it. It’s wrong to reward bad behavior and now the octo mom is going to get the same thing. Take this wealth and share it with families who really struggle every day. Moms with children who have disabilities or families who are caring for a loved one with alzheimers, etc. These are the true heroes of everyday life and could use some of this wealth.This family is rotten to the core with greed. Don’t you wonder why you never see any family or even friends. TLC and Discover you need to cancel!!!

Savycap March 10, 2009, 11:55 AM

I can understand having a bad day once in awhile, and being moody. The problem is she always seems to be in a bad mood. She needs to stop constantly belittling him or it’s not going to last.

Diana  March 10, 2009, 12:32 PM

i don’t think kate is a abuse to jon or here kids. it is just stress that she has. with 8 kids who wouldn’t be stessed. i love the show and i don’t want it to go off the air. i have seasons 1-3 it is a great show cause it shows that if a mother of 8 can do it then a mother of 2 or 3 can do it too. but it again i love the show

blindcindy2 March 11, 2009, 8:03 PM

I enjoy the show. I raised 2 kids and mad emy mistakes as everyone has. I think Jon and Kate are doing a great job! They seem to agree on most important issues of raising happy content children, which MOST importantly ends in emotionally happy and content adults.

Anonymous March 11, 2009, 8:24 PM

just stuff kate’s mouth and the show would be worth watching