Celeb Moms Adopting Alone

Despite being single, many moms in the spotlight choose to be moms via adoption.

Having it all is usually defined as kids, career and marriage. Not so for many celebrity moms who have adopted children without being married--or for that matter even in a relationship. Meg Ryan recently admitted, "It's very difficult to be a career person and have a relationship. I didn't succeed at doing it at all. It's incredibly hard." That didn't stop the queen of romantic comedies from adopting her daughter, Daisy True, from China in 2005.

"It goes alongside of the growing trend in adoption," said Barbara Turvett, an adoptive parent and editor at Working Mother magazine. "It's becoming not just an acceptable thing to do, but a favorable thing to do. It's a great way to form a family."

It's not always possible to adopt if you're a single parent. While some countries may be open to single-parent adoptions, some, like Korea, only allow traditional two-parent families to adopt. Of course, celebrities--with an endless supply of money and resources--often have little trouble convincing agencies they'll be able to provide a good home for a child.

Check out other celebrity moms who've adopted kids solo:

next: Late Night Star Fondles "Jonas Brother"
cara August 26, 2008, 10:41 AM

Just so you know, I think it’s Arkansas that I read about just today that wants to ban unmarried people from adopting….not good.

I’m adopted myself and a mom, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why there are so many stupid issues at hand (i.e: abortion, homosexual ) which get in the way of offering children a home. Safety+love=home everyone deserves that and growing up without that is only bringing about anger, thus destrucive forces later that definatly will effect us as a community.

Jenny August 26, 2008, 10:09 PM

I love that the article pointed out all of the hollywood women that have adopted when unmarried. But did you know Kat Williams has adopted seven children and he is also unmarried. Now that is a standout! People would expect and unmarried woman to adopt quicker than an unmarried man!

JMom August 26, 2008, 11:58 PM

who the hell is kat williams?

Sue September 4, 2008, 12:51 PM

I think it very unfair that “rich” unmarried celebrties can adopt so easily just because they are who they are, while people who are legally married and are ordinary run of the mill cannot, because they are the wrong nationality, they are too old, they do not live in their country of birth, etc, etc. This has hapened to us and we are both over 45 already with no chance of ever being able to be parents.

jc September 4, 2008, 7:51 PM

There are several countries which allow people over 45 to adopt. I am unsure of the specifics of your particular situation but I know that all of the items that you stated do not prevent adoption in and of themselves.

Baby Names Meanings September 30, 2009, 12:54 PM

These kids need a family…and it’s wonderful to know such celebs who become moms via adoption. God bless them!

Mathilde Abina March 29, 2011, 6:36 PM

Keep functioning ,terrific job!