Size 12, You're Fat!

Guest blogger MILF Mommy thinks you're fat.

size_12_is_fat_c.jpg

I am sick and tired of hearing that it's OK to be a size 12. I understand that this is the average weight of women in the United States, but since when does average make everything OK? Here's some low-cal food for thought...

1. You're not as cute as you could be. Being a size 12 is neither healthy nor is it attractive. Ask any man (in private) if he'd prefer that his size 12 wife lose weight and he'd say, "YES!"

2. You're lying about feeling good. Any woman who says she'd rather be a size 12 than a size 6 is lying. Think about it. Have you ever met someone who has lost weight who regrets it? Does anyone ever say, "I hate how I look in this sexy dress with my toned arms"? Or, "I preferred it when I had a muffin top belly and huge thighs"?

3. Stop pretending you are on a diet. I'm also sick of these size 12 women pretending that they do everything possible, but just can't lose the weight. That's impossible. If you really exercised 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week and ate the recommended 1800 calories a day, you wouldn't be a size 12. So stop pretending. And FYI -- it defeats the purpose if you eat salads for every meal that are covered in bacon and blue cheese dressing.

4. Thin people aren't lucky -- they work harder than you. I work very hard to be a size 4. It's difficult, but I always find the time to work out. I also make many food sacrifices. I would love to eat baked ziti for lunch and get dessert after every meal. I'd also be thrilled to drink a beer! But, sometimes in life you have to give things up in order to gain something bigger.

5. Stop using genes as a crutch. I get it. Sometimes it's harder for people to eat well and exercise than it is for others--being heavy may run in your family, you may have had an issue way back when. The same goes for people who do drugs, but it doesn't make it OK that they are addicts.

This may sound harsh, but you are doing a disservice to our children. I don't want my daughters under the delusion that life will be easy as a chunky person. It's harder to get work, find a husband and even walk up stairs. It's also a good way to decrease your life expectancy. It seems to be taboo to discuss this epidemic too loudly, but I think it's time we start.

Related Galleries

next: Is Sunscreen Dangerous for Kids?
June February 15, 2009, 1:33 AM

After reading this article, it seems to me that someones waaaaaaaaaaaay overdue for a chocolate fix! I’m a size 12, and as it turns out I’m very proud of the way I look. It just sounds to me, “Filth” Mommy, that theres some jealousy there? But seriously, you shouldn’t try acting sexy…especially if theres no milkshake in the cups. I’m a 38F, and every man I’ve known has loved the fact that I have curves and aren’t a skinny twig. Because to be anything less than a 10 would be unrealistic. For those that are below a size 4 and healthy, more power to you. But with a name like MILF, to me it just sounds like your weight is based upon something more than being healthy. It’ll be a shame when those wrinkles start popping up. Your lifestyle will be gone, and as shallow as you are, no matter how much you starve or purge or even exercise, nothing will make you happy with how you look. I just hope your children grow up with more common sense than you do. Or that inevitable weight gain comes about and you can think more wisely….no diet is perfect….they all crash….eventually.

Megan February 24, 2009, 3:07 AM

If you truly felt comfortable with yourself you would not be ranting about this subject. People who try to make others feel inferior are trying to make themselves feel as if they are better, so instead of attempting to knock others down you should look at yourself and figure out why you feel as if you need to do so.

By the way I am 5’11 if I was a size four I would be anorexic, If I was a size 6 I would look underweight. There are certain factors that contribute to your weight and size. People who are taller weigh more and wear a bigger size than those who are shorter. My friend is 5 feet 2 inches and wears a size 5, but I suppose this is “fat” to you as well.

Noemi February 25, 2009, 5:31 PM

Me = 165 size 12, Hell yea I’m “PHAT” = Pretty Hot And Tempting!

You: MILF = Mean Ignorant Low-life Fake. Get a Life!

Kim February 26, 2009, 6:12 PM

I am a size 12 with a loving husband, great friends, and a wonderful career. If you can only get a job or husband based on your looks, I feel sorry for you. You must be under a huge amount of pressure to be perfect. There is more to life than image.

Amy February 27, 2009, 7:38 PM

Wow. I’m glad you’re not my mother, that would be really embarrassing. I feel really bad for your children. Are you ever going to tell them what “MILF” means?

Anyway. I’m a size 16 and I admit I’m a little overweight (by 8 pounds). But the thing is, a size 12 is the smallest I could get without being unhealthy. Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of us aren’t 5 feet tall and maybe have a large frame? I didn’t think so. My point is size 12 isn’t fat, it’s a very nice size. I’m actually going to try for it myself. I’d be THRILLED to be a size 12. But I’m pretty happy with myself the way I am. I don’t even have a “muffin top.” Mind you I’m 5’10 and a lot of my weight is muscle. I could throw you out a window (oh how I wish I could.) Haha.

I’m sure there are plenty of women out there who think a size 4 is morbidly obese. Why don’t you try for a size 00? Or, here’s an even better idea. Maybe you should try eating chocolate once in a while, maybe then you wouldn’t be so bitter and bitchy. =) Society has no need for people like you.

Anonymous March 3, 2009, 5:04 PM

You are toxic

James March 7, 2009, 8:47 PM

Lots of angry thick women in here. If you are a women of mean-average height a size 12 dress size is fat. Muffin tops are gross. Flabby arms are gross. As a guy, I appreciate the author’s honesty here. We do live in a culture in which the media has defined our common understanding of beauty. We also live in a society that is far too eager to bandage someone’s self-esteem. If you’re happy with yourself, that’s fine, and it’s a good thing. But we shouldn’t delude ourselves into thinking that “average” American weight is “perfect” or even “beautiful.” The truth is that Americans are overweight on an epidemic scale and the author’s honesty here is a step in the right direction.

Those of you whining in here need to take your self-righteous self-indulgence elsewhere.

Single Mama March 12, 2009, 4:41 AM

Wow! This article is just unbelievable. What a heartless person you are! You think you have it all figured out, but you definitely don’t.

I have a disease called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which causes insulin resistance and obesity. Since the onset of this disease when I was 19 (I am now in my mid-30s), I’ve fought weight gain tooth and nail. In high school, I weighed between 95-100 pounds and was a size zero. When I turned 19, I suddenly shot up to 170 pounds. I was actually eating less (calorie counting) and exercising more than I had in high school—doing step aerobics and playing tennis four or five times a week—but the weight kept piling on. In high school I never exercised and ate at Pizza Hut every day with my friends, yet I weighed 95 pounds. Explain that Ms. Know-It-All!

I was having a host of other symptoms and went to see a doctor and was diagnosed with PCOS. She told me that most people with this genetic disorder are obese and said I would just have to accept it.

I decided to go on an intense exercise regimen and a very strict diet. I was working out six days a week for two hours MINIMUM each day. I would do one hour of cardio (running, usually) and one hour of weight training. Sometimes I’d even return to the gym a second time in the same day and work out for another hour or two, equaling 3-4 hours some days. I ate almost no fat and mainly vegetables. I lost 50 pounds and dropped to 120, which for me was a size 2-4. But this was not something I could maintain.

In order for me to lose weight, I really must do about two hours a day of exercise. As a single mom with a toddler, working full time, how can I possibly find time to do that? I am only getting 4-6 hours of sleep a day. Should I sleep an hour or two less and exercise instead?

When I see my doctors and tell them I have PCOS, they say “Wow! You are skinny for someone with PCOS! Most of my other PCOS patients weigh 200-300 pounds. It’s nearly impossible to lose weight with PCOS.” They congratulate me on my size, yet I am about 20-30 pounds overweight right now.

You are blind to the realities of people’s lives and just plain dumb. I feel really sorry for anyone who has you as a mother.

It’s people like you who create the losers who pulled over in their car to scream “Pig! Cow!” at me when I was literally 9 months pregnant and taking a walk (exercising!) with my friend. I had only gained 20 pounds in my pregnancy, the amount suggested by my doctor, but at the small size of 5’2” I looked huge early on—my baby had nowhere to go but straight out. These people thought I was just FAT, so it was ok for these random strangers to verbally attack me, in their minds. It’s fine to scream “Pig” at a fat person, right? I bet you would’ve laughed! People like you create this kind of environment. You seriously make me sick!

Single Mama (continued) March 12, 2009, 4:48 AM

shell April 9, 2009, 5:55 AM

oh my god how can a size 12 b bad im a mum of three size 12 / 14 and yes its hard but i think really slim girls look ill but each to there own who is anyone to say ur to fat to thin b happy !

KAY April 11, 2009, 9:34 PM

I have been size 5 -way to skinny my bones were hanging out every where.
I am a comfortable size 12 and
there is nothing wrong with it.
My body is shapely I have hard abs and tight legs-even if I didn’t who cares?
Size 12 doesn’t mean unhealthy it’s just a size.
What is unhealthy are people that think like jerks!

Nina April 14, 2009, 5:53 PM

As a Size 0, all I have to say is that if you’re a Size 4 you’re FAT! I mean, seriously, that’s HUGE. I work hard to be a Size 0, and it’s not that difficult to do. I mean, ask your husband if he’d prefer you as a Size 0 rather than a Size 4, and I’m sure he’d say “YES!”

Anonymous April 26, 2009, 6:30 PM

When I was 16 years old, I made a very unhealthy choice. For 3 months, I ate only 600 calories per day. I exercised daily by walking for around 30 minutes to an hour per day. What was the result? I dropped from 165 pounds to 149 pounds… a size 10 on my frame… and I felt so weak and terrible. I couldn’t go any lower. I tried. I’m back up to size 12 again, and I’m happy and healthy. I was voted prom queen. I’ve got a hot boyfriend. I think I’m doing just fine. Thanks for the critique, though. We all have opportunities for growth, and I respect your opinion.

Anonymous April 27, 2009, 4:50 PM

I have PCOS which makes it damn near impossible for my butt to go below a size 12. Get over yourself.

Sophia May 4, 2009, 5:18 PM

Excuse me? Do you know how many (repectful, proud, intelligent, BEAUTIFUL) women that you just called fat? What is your problem? Do you really think that we are just faking feeling good about ourselves? We’re not! Every morning, millions of size twelve and bigger women wake up and have no problem what so ever with being the size that they are. Not everyone whant’s to be a size 4, and not every man likes a woman who is a size 4. What do you think gives you the right to say how WE feel? You’re wrong! And ha-ha to you, Miss I-can’t-eat-baked-ziti, ‘cause guess what? I can, and it makes me happy to not have to eat like a bird. And hello? Every size twelve woman in the world can walk up stairs. Do you even know what a size twelve woman looks like? We’re curvy, valuptous, and beautiful. You may not be fat, but you certainly are a pig. Now go get a life, and stop complaining.

StroketheHelmet May 12, 2009, 12:05 AM

First of all, a size 12 is NOT unhealthy. I’m a size 12 and am in perfect health, thanks for your insight c*nt. And sure, I’d like to know what’d it be like to be a “perfect size 6”, but I’m not and have no sickening desire to be that. Aside from all of that you can be the most physically beautiful person in the world, and yet still manage to be the ugliest.
Get off your high horse.

Anonymous June 4, 2009, 3:26 PM

Darling, skin and bone is not attractive…

Sarah June 5, 2009, 12:53 AM

Actually, it depends on the clothing company and height of the person in question. I myself am somewhere between a 8 and a 12, depending on the company, and it’s just because I’m tall and I have a bigger build. I exercise regularly and I’m quite fit, it’s just how I’m built.
Food for thought. :P

Vicki June 15, 2009, 4:19 PM

you have stored all of your self worth in a number called a “size” and you get validation from men, hince the name MILF mommy. You sound quite shallow and moronic to be honest. You think of yourself as someone who’d rather be effed than respected, and I’m sure you don’t get much respect for that reason. Size of a woman does not matter. How she looks to the person attracted to her matters. How she feels about herself matters. “beautiful” women get cheated on all the time and I’m sure with your funky attitude, you’ve been cheated on more than once.

PlumbLucky July 10, 2009, 3:12 PM

I dare say that at my “fat” size twelve, I can outrun, out-play, and out-athletic anything this obnoxious little self righteous twerp does.

“Fat”?

I happen to be 6’ tall, by the way. And by the way? You can count my ribs - they don’t stick out like I’m anorexic, but they are visible. I strongly doubt my husband would like his “fat size twelve wife” to lose weight, either.