Size 12, You're Fat!

Guest blogger MILF Mommy thinks you're fat.

size_12_is_fat_c.jpg

I am sick and tired of hearing that it's OK to be a size 12. I understand that this is the average weight of women in the United States, but since when does average make everything OK? Here's some low-cal food for thought...

1. You're not as cute as you could be. Being a size 12 is neither healthy nor is it attractive. Ask any man (in private) if he'd prefer that his size 12 wife lose weight and he'd say, "YES!"

2. You're lying about feeling good. Any woman who says she'd rather be a size 12 than a size 6 is lying. Think about it. Have you ever met someone who has lost weight who regrets it? Does anyone ever say, "I hate how I look in this sexy dress with my toned arms"? Or, "I preferred it when I had a muffin top belly and huge thighs"?

3. Stop pretending you are on a diet. I'm also sick of these size 12 women pretending that they do everything possible, but just can't lose the weight. That's impossible. If you really exercised 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week and ate the recommended 1800 calories a day, you wouldn't be a size 12. So stop pretending. And FYI -- it defeats the purpose if you eat salads for every meal that are covered in bacon and blue cheese dressing.

4. Thin people aren't lucky -- they work harder than you. I work very hard to be a size 4. It's difficult, but I always find the time to work out. I also make many food sacrifices. I would love to eat baked ziti for lunch and get dessert after every meal. I'd also be thrilled to drink a beer! But, sometimes in life you have to give things up in order to gain something bigger.

5. Stop using genes as a crutch. I get it. Sometimes it's harder for people to eat well and exercise than it is for others--being heavy may run in your family, you may have had an issue way back when. The same goes for people who do drugs, but it doesn't make it OK that they are addicts.

This may sound harsh, but you are doing a disservice to our children. I don't want my daughters under the delusion that life will be easy as a chunky person. It's harder to get work, find a husband and even walk up stairs. It's also a good way to decrease your life expectancy. It seems to be taboo to discuss this epidemic too loudly, but I think it's time we start.

Related Galleries

next: Is Sunscreen Dangerous for Kids?
Anonymous July 16, 2009, 12:04 PM

u irresponsible cow are u trying to set off eating disorders? for your information u thick cow a size 12 is healthy a 4 omg can u stand up? what a nasty piece of work u are

Teeni July 19, 2009, 12:47 AM

I have to agree with milf
that a size 12 is overweight
It just is.
But She never said being over a size 4
is considered overweight.
I think Milf just has a f’ed up way
of expressing her opinion.

-A Teenager

Virma July 21, 2009, 7:22 PM

I understand that you were trying to get your message across but you really should have thought twice before posting this. You have to understand that everyone is different; therefore, they dont have the same body type as you. On the other hand its amazing that you are a size four but are you sure that you didn’t starve yourself? I am just asking. As long as you wouldn’t like to see your daughters suffering from obesity, I wouldn’t like to see my future daughter(s) killing themselves to get to the size that you are trying to influence. I am 17 years old and I even understand that what you said is wrong. I am pretty sure that most people do too. Oh, and its ok being a size 12. End of story.

Katelynn July 27, 2009, 10:40 AM

Many of the same points have already been made, but, alas, one feels compelled nonetheless.

I’m not an adult, I’m a teenager, and this is precisely the sort of thing that is steadily plaguing the minds of the people in high school, middle school and, as horrible as it is, even some young gals in elementary. The common assumption is that you have to essentially be a stick with a large chest for men to find you attractive, and that is simply not true.

I’m a size 12, and I am quite healthy. I’ll admit I was overweight at one point and was an 18-20 at the time, but I slimmed down and have determined that I look just fine in a 12, or a 14 in some brands.

Yes, exercise and eating right is good, and can help you be healthy, but that doesn’t mean you’re going to lose weight. You are born with a size pre-determined by genetics and bone structure that you’ll look good in, and if you try to go against that to make something else work because that is the “right” size in terms of what is attractive in the eyes of the general public you are essentially going against nature.

You say “your” size is a size 4 and you look good, that’s great, but don’t go and automatically assume that a size 4 is the “perfect” size.

It is a misconception that you can form your body through exercise so that you can lose weight, fit in a tiny size, and still look good. It is impossible to lose weight from certain parts of your body by your choosing; your body chooses where it’s going to drop the pounds, so in trying to lose weight from your hips or something so you can fit in a small size you can actually ruin the figure of the rest of your form unless your body cooperates.

But I’m running away with myself.

You claim that guys won’t fall for a gal that’s not super skinny, and that’s just not true. I absolutely love my boyfriend, an emotion that he returns without hesitation, and you know what drew us together? Personality.

He found he liked my eccentricities and how I acted, so he got to know me for who I actually was, and I got to know him, and guess what? We have had a very successful relationship thus far, and we each think the other is extremely sexy because of it.

If you have a good personality, it will make you look beautiful to others, so even a person who is “sexy” by the popular and unrealistic common standards of our nation today will, very rarely, find someone to have a meaningful relationship with if they have a horrid personality. Oh sure, they may be able to get a guy, but it’s far more likely that relationship may last a few weeks before the infatuation over a body type wears off and the person finds the once “sexy” woman to be impossible to be anywhere near.

Anyway, if you’re a mom there’s a lot that’s far more important than being “perfect”. I speak from experience on that. My mother got to be obsessed with her appearance to a point she got breast implant, laser surgery on her skin, hair removal, and all kinds of other surgeries because she wanted to be the one everyone gaped over. You know what happened with that?

She and my dad divorced, and I moved in with my dad because at that point there was just a stake driven through the mother-daughter relationship. She cared more about getting a new date every night than she did about spending time with my brother and I, so we left for someone who actually did care about us and would spend time with us.

And if she had started that behaviour before I had a decent head on my shoulders than it is very likely I would have become anorexic just because that was the example I would have had to grown up with.

Moms are supposed to be role models, not figures who your daughters’ guy friends gawk at when they’re teens, and if you care about your daughters at all you would teach them to love themselves because that’s who they are, not because they wear the “perfect” size by your standards.

ayse76 July 27, 2009, 1:40 PM

If I realllly stretch it, I can see what you’re trying to get across, but the way you are driving your point is way too harsh. I’m not a fan of the NAAFA, we’re 300 pounds and proud crowd (they are fooling themselves), and yeah, if you’re the average height, 5’4”, and a size 12, you probably could stand to lose a little weight, but if you’re 5’9” and hippy, a 12 may be just the right size for you.

I have seen pictures of my mom at age 20 on her honeymoon and she looked down right skinny to me, and she says she was in a size 12 then—granted, this was way before the whole “vanity sizing” trend, but she’s only 5’7”.

You might want to open your mind up just a little before you go and put everyone into a tiny little box.

Amanda August 13, 2009, 9:45 PM

You are, to put it mildly, a MORON. How ironic it is that this thing is called “mom logic” - there’s absolutely nothing logical about it. You make it sound like every single person is the same, with the same height, build, proportions, bodyfat percentage, etc. PEOPLE ARE NOT THE SAME. A size 12 may be “fat” if you’re a midget. But if you’re 5’5”-5’8” and your weight is within norm, then size 12 is perfectly fine. And if you’re 6 feet tall, size 12 may even be too thin. Google Whitney Thompson from America’s next top model, she’s a size 12. And she’s GORGEOUS! If you think that woman is “fat” in any shape or form, you need to get either your eyes or your brain checked. Or both. HEALTH is what should matter, not looks - if your weight is within healthy norm, your cholesterol is OK and you’re healthy, what freakin’ difference does it make what SIZE you are?? And if you’re telling your kids size is more important than HEALTH, then you aren’t merely spewing out nonsense, you’re HARMING YOUR CHILDREN. P.S. I’m a size 12, and when I went down to 10 after being ill my husband of 13 years was upset and told me he wanted the old me back. So no… Not all men love stick thin women. Wake up and smell the real world.

5'3'', 150lbs, husband says I could not look better. August 19, 2009, 2:48 PM

“I also make many food sacrifices. I would love to eat baked ziti for lunch and get dessert after every meal. I’d also be thrilled to drink a beer!”

I CANNOT believe that I just read an article on this same site about preventing teen anorexia, only to be linked directly over to this article written by a woman with obvious disordered eating (as evidenced by the above quote). It is full of misinformation (I work harder to be a size 4, COME ON!) and clearly shows the author’s disdain for anyone above what they consider the “right” size. Sickening. I really would expect more truth and integrity from the same site with the nerve to post the “pregorexia” story and follow up. All of those bilious comments on that story should be redirected here because “journalists” like this one here are one source of the growing body dysmorphia epidemic.

What is the purpose of this article? It is certainly not engaging, informative, encouraging or enlightening. The only thing I can gather is that the author gleefully describes the ways in which she functions on a higher level than all those “size 12’s” out there that she despises.

Linds September 3, 2009, 8:43 PM

Ok, well, here’s my opinion.

I’m not sure what size I am, but I could defiantly do myself good losing some weight. I don’t like how plump my body is at the moment, so I’ve started a daily workout regiment. There’s my ‘trying’.

Thing is, I don’t care about looking sexy. Being beautiful isn’t what life is about. If you enjoy it, then, by all means go for it… but there’s a variety of food out there, and it’s ridiculously stupid to limit yourself so much just because your life’s goal is to stay at a size 4. Frankly I don’t care what size I am or will be, as long as I have the normal proportions.

And about the diet thing, I lost over 40lbs on the Atkins diet (I did it the right way for about 5 months) a while ago. I had a goal I wanted to accomplish by losing those pounds, so I was determined, and I wanted those lbs gone. But the mothers you describe may not think beauty is most important — there should be more keeping a marriage together than your husband thinking you’re attractive. What’s gonna happen when you’re 60+ with wrinkles and graying hair?

Lastly, it seems to me this article is more just a rant than anything else. I mean, instead of (just) telling people what they’re doing wrong, you could list a few ways that would help them fit their body proportions better, for example a type of cardio exercise that would work better than another type. Maybe suggest some not-so-obvious bad food habits instead of bland suggestions, then it would sound like a better article. I could eat 1800 calories a day of donuts and that won’t make me any thinner.

It’s a good idea to try to help people see where America’s going nowadays, but just saying what’s wrong with people, especially in that apparent accusatory tone, really isn’t gonna motivate someone to get out there and lose weight, if all are just like the kind of people you describe.

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 6:53 PM

Umm… i wear a size 12 and im just fine… i would still be the same damn person whether i weas a size 12 or 2… id still have my same issues and insecurities so whatever. and i wear clothes that look good. size isnt to determin how fat ou are… marilyn monroe was a size 14 ( i think..) and she looked damn good! guys want curves not anorexic looking chicks.. sorry.

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 7:00 PM

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 7:01 PM

LogicalMommy September 18, 2009, 9:20 PM

OP is a troll…and it worked! :)

That being said, size is relative. Every brand has their own sizing, every person has a different build, and folks like different fits of clothing. Personally, when I was 120 lbs (at 5’5”), I still had to get a size 12 dress because I had a 38DDD chest. To get it to fit the top, I had to do that. But, contrary to popular belief…size doesn’t matter. lol Health does. Eat right, watch your BMI, exercise, project a good self image, and chuckle at the folks who have so little in life that they must troll the internet for entertainment. I would think that a true MILF would be too busy loving her kiddies and being pampered by the hot fellas to be posting on things like this. lol

Samsta October 7, 2009, 1:23 PM

I bet your ugly! And you sound very stupid…..so it sucks to be you. Eat a burger! And if you happen to choke on it….i hope there is someone around who you haven’t pissed off to help you.

David October 13, 2009, 9:27 PM

Im sorry, but i disagree completely with you, being a size 12 does not mean a woman is overweight, Different people have different opinions, and opinions are like farts, everyone has them but no one wants to hear them, exspecially this one cause it stinks. and im sorry but most size 6 people i’ve seen are quite nasty looking.

David October 13, 2009, 9:28 PM

A dude October 20, 2009, 2:47 PM

I’m a dude. I prefer a size 4 to a size 12 anyday. Don’t like it? Hit the gym fatty…

Anonymous November 4, 2009, 8:02 PM

Who are you to tell anyone how attractive they are because of their weight. You can’t say that for everyone. A size 12 fits different on every different body. You seem like one of the types of people that think all people are fat because they are lazy and don’t exercise. I’ve seen bigger people in better shape then some skinny people but because of disorders and thyroid problems they where big. Get over yourself. Frankly if everyone in the world was skinny, it would be so boring. Why would this even make you so mad. Something so stupid.

Ignorance is Bliss.

Tara Leigh November 19, 2009, 8:00 AM

this is stupid. size 2 or size 12, it depends on your height, muscle tone, build. Jesus Christ, what a moron you are.

College Rower November 30, 2009, 6:49 PM

I am in college and I am a size 12.

I’m also a conditioned and fit athlete who is on my school’s rowing team. I work out for 2.5 hours a day 6 days a week. I lift weights twice a week to gain muscle mass. I burn more than 3000 calories a day. I do all of this while studying to become an engineer. And I do it all wearing size 12 jeans to class.

I’m healthy and active, and no, I’m not a size 4. I couldn’t be a size 4 if I tried. My boyfriend loves my curves, but more important than that, loves me for who I am.

Good for you for being a size 4 person even after having a child and all that. But you’re probably a lot shorter than me. And you probably have the luxury of being a stay at home mother with a husband that pays for your gym membership.

Emily December 9, 2009, 6:02 PM

You know, I was feeling pretty good about myself until I stumbled across this blog. I’m 19 and a size 12, and it was even more hurtful that size 12 specifically was targeted.

Regardless of how you feel about your own weight, I don’t know how you can write something like this just to hurt other people. Do you really think it does any good? I guess I never fail to be disappointed by how cruel people can be to each other.

Also: I believe size 16 is actually average in America, 14 in the UK.