Size 12, You're Fat!

Guest blogger MILF Mommy thinks you're fat.

size_12_is_fat_c.jpg

I am sick and tired of hearing that it's OK to be a size 12. I understand that this is the average weight of women in the United States, but since when does average make everything OK? Here's some low-cal food for thought...

1. You're not as cute as you could be. Being a size 12 is neither healthy nor is it attractive. Ask any man (in private) if he'd prefer that his size 12 wife lose weight and he'd say, "YES!"

2. You're lying about feeling good. Any woman who says she'd rather be a size 12 than a size 6 is lying. Think about it. Have you ever met someone who has lost weight who regrets it? Does anyone ever say, "I hate how I look in this sexy dress with my toned arms"? Or, "I preferred it when I had a muffin top belly and huge thighs"?

3. Stop pretending you are on a diet. I'm also sick of these size 12 women pretending that they do everything possible, but just can't lose the weight. That's impossible. If you really exercised 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week and ate the recommended 1800 calories a day, you wouldn't be a size 12. So stop pretending. And FYI -- it defeats the purpose if you eat salads for every meal that are covered in bacon and blue cheese dressing.

4. Thin people aren't lucky -- they work harder than you. I work very hard to be a size 4. It's difficult, but I always find the time to work out. I also make many food sacrifices. I would love to eat baked ziti for lunch and get dessert after every meal. I'd also be thrilled to drink a beer! But, sometimes in life you have to give things up in order to gain something bigger.

5. Stop using genes as a crutch. I get it. Sometimes it's harder for people to eat well and exercise than it is for others--being heavy may run in your family, you may have had an issue way back when. The same goes for people who do drugs, but it doesn't make it OK that they are addicts.

This may sound harsh, but you are doing a disservice to our children. I don't want my daughters under the delusion that life will be easy as a chunky person. It's harder to get work, find a husband and even walk up stairs. It's also a good way to decrease your life expectancy. It seems to be taboo to discuss this epidemic too loudly, but I think it's time we start.

Related Galleries

next: Is Sunscreen Dangerous for Kids?
maof4 August 11, 2008, 9:38 AM

growing up: clean your plate, there are starving children in the world. middle school: i don’t know if you should diet, it’s not good for you (thank God she let me diet). after 4 children: you’re a cow (I thought saying so would make you diet). here’s some of my old clothes that are too big for me. she was obsessed with her own weight so she projected that onto me, perhaps? I’ve dieted and lost the weight, I’ve exercised, I hurt myself in the process, I’ve gained the weight back, I’ve given up. I’ve repeated it all. Today I’m at the given up stage. Thanks for the morale talk (sarcasm if you didn’t catch it). I am living proof of what you do to other people. Please stop judging the person beside you (am i fatter or are they fatter? do i look better?). You don’t know them.

human August 11, 2008, 9:42 AM

you had better cancel your cable aka babysitter and lock your computersup and by all means don’t get them any xbox stuff either and start playing outdoors with them and please don’t make the nanny do it

Kristin August 11, 2008, 10:01 AM

One of my friends told me to check out this blog, and all I can say is…

What a b*tch! People like you disgust me and make me not want to bring children into this awful, inconsiderate world we live in today. I am amazed every day to find people that have the audacity to treat others the way you do. It’s disgusting the way so many people seem to believe the world revolves around them and can therefore say and do whatever the hell they want, without a single thought of how it might effect those around them. What makes you so special that you should be able to decide what size makes a person healthy, happy, and beautiful?!? Ignorant people like you make me absolutely sick!

mom in michigan August 11, 2008, 10:06 AM

just because you are a size 12 does not mean that you unhealthy, no more than a size 4 makes you healthy.
i think if you are taking care of yourself and have no medicl problems a size 12 is fine. Most people don’t look right @ a size 4, they look tired, and unhealthy. I’m one of those, people thought I was sick. so in this world NOMATTER what YOU say. We need ALL sizes.

Hot & Healthy size 12 August 11, 2008, 10:16 AM

I am so sorry that something so bad, happened to you and made you so shallow and angry at size 12 people. Please see how ignorant you are before your daughters are plagued with this narrow minded thinking. I feel like you don’t get the meaning of life. It’s your’s and everyone else’s job to make this world a better place. You need to look at the inside not the outside. Once you stop obsessing over your weight, which is obvious you do, you will be a much happier person

Happy Girl August 11, 2008, 10:19 AM

Hmm, she is size four and she is miserable, I am size 12 and very happy!!
No thanks,I’ll stick to my size 12.
My husband thinks I’m hot. Good enough for me.

Racy August 11, 2008, 10:26 AM

I read this article and became so furious at the writer that if she were in the room with me I would have choked her. My comments are therefore directed to the writer of this article and not any of the commentors.

First, size 6 or, in your bony case, size 4, is not necessarily the sexiest. I was the happiest, sexiest and healthiest I ever was a size 12. I had no excess fat, but instead was toned, curvy and beautifully busty. My man loved my curves (and still does, even though I’m heavier now). If you stood in front of him I have no doubt he would say you are way too bony for his tastes and that making love to you would be like lying on a pile of coat hangers. Funny enough, EVERY MAN I have met in my life said single digit sizes are too small for them.

Second, size 12 is not necessarily unhealthy. If you are active, eat healthy and have no other concerns, size 12 is just as, and in some cases more healthy than size 4. In fact, some of the most unhealthy looking people I have seen are skinny.

Third, I don’t like bony women dictating what is healthy for my child. Growing up, I was never a size 4…I went straight to a 5 and even then you could see every bone in my body and I was too skinny. I have a toddler girl and it scares the pants off of me to think that one day she will be faced with this dilemma. I don’t want my child thinking that she has to look like a stick insect in order to be considered sexy so please, don’t add to the already growing group of kids with eating disorders by adding your narrow minded opinion.

So, I have one comment for you, oh bony size 4 writer…go somewhere and eat something and don’t try to impose your narrow minded view on us! To everyone else who is smaller than a size 12, as long as you’re healthy, more power to you. Just please don’t judge too quickly the rest of us who are not as small as you are.

Whew…I got through that without cussin’! That was hard!

jennifer August 11, 2008, 10:59 AM

WOW!! What a response!! Gotta throw my two cents in……..yep I’m the size 12…..with a 38DD bra size, I had pancakes for breakfast and a beer after supper last night….a nice ICE cold beer….man was it good!! I also ran a 5K Saturday morning, 26:10….1:30 slower than my average and 3:55 slower than my fastest time. I’m 43, love my body, love the fact my fiance can’t keep his hands off me, love my job which I’ve had for many years—and yet could walk away from it tomorrow with job offers lined up, climb stairs without effort—and I do have the love and respect of my daughter. What else could I ask for in life?? To be a size 6? Yeah right! And give all this up? You’ve got to be delusional!

FireGirl August 11, 2008, 11:22 AM

It’s interesting that for MILF Mommy, everything seems to come down to mens’ opinions of her - the very fact that she has named herself MILF Mommy for one, and the point that she makes about it being hard to find a husband if you’re not a size 4 … I wonder if these sexual/self-image hang-ups of hers are the result of some sort of abuse.

I sincerely hope that MILF Mommy isn’t setting her daughters up for serious issues in the future. I also hope that she’s able to find some self-worth that’s based in something other than sex or her jean size … if not, I suspect it will be a very sad day for her when she hits that certain age where those won’t be her greatest assets.

Stacey August 11, 2008, 11:30 AM

Wow, I’m not sure if you could be more ignorant! 45 minutes a day doesn’t work for everyone. When I lost weight I had to work out 2 -2 1/2 hours a day, six days a week and eat mainly protein to get to a size 6. Everyone I knew told me that I was way too thin and that I was borderline unhealthy. Size is just a number and the most important thing is that you are HEALTHY! Your thought process is very unhealthy and it’s because of people like you that we have such a problem with teenagers and eating disorders. Get over yourself and start enjoying your life NOT your jean size.

MarilynLives August 11, 2008, 11:32 AM

Listen Fat Phobic. Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 and she’s a living legend, a sex symbol who has stood the test of time. And Keira Knightley doesn’t hold a candle to Marilyn Monroe!
Everyone has they’re set point weight wise.
Whether it’s due to their genetics or whatever. But ladies can be healthy at a size 12.
I spent almost 20 years starving, anorexia, and damaged my body, organs doing so. Just to keep people like you happy. Not doing it anymore!
I lost so many happy years because all I thought about 24 hours a day was my weight.
I would go days without eating or just eating an apple and I began suffering hair loss, and organ failure.
Not that obesity is a good thing. But people should watch what they eat but not obsess about it.
But to only go for a size n a dress ( which is usually a lie) anyway, is really shallow and shows the lack of maturity.
Life is short.. no matter what be happy!

Anonymous August 11, 2008, 11:46 AM

Any one who thinks that a size 12 is too fat really needs to learn how to play nice with the other kiddies. This person is too consumed with the outward appearance of people and clearly has issues within her ownself. She don’t know most men (do she?) so how can she say what most men like or want. And calling people that you don’t know liars. That’s not nice. You need a hug MILF MOMMY.

Cindy August 11, 2008, 12:15 PM

Oh, and one more thing…

Like I said, I am a size 20. At one point, I worked myself (HARD) down to a size 12/14. All my bones started protruding and it was starting to not be attractive. I was actually worried about losing MORE weight, for fear of how I would look with my hip bones and collar bones poking out…

I have American Indian heritage, big bones, wide cheekbones and I am short and stocky. There is no way on this EARTH that I could EVER be a size 4. For me, that would be anorexic.

Kat August 11, 2008, 12:44 PM

to the author - you are a size 4 probably because your parents were size 4 - what about genetics-lady??

12 is a size - what about pounds?
If you are a 18 and move to a 12 - wouldn’t you be glad? the charts in the doctor’s office don’t discuss size. that has to do with designers. you may be a 4 in some designers but not all.

I wish the author a hefty unexplainable weight gain along with tears and frustration. best of luck.

Simzy August 11, 2008, 12:48 PM

My sister is a size 4 and she is 4’11 and very slender. Sustaning a size 4 at any other height meets the standards for anorexia. Before you get a holier-than-thou, attitude take the plank out of your own eye and see if your eating habits are healty, and possibly what you are not eating. After you’ve purged your salad tell me how healthy you are, then come and brag about being a size 4.

Shannon August 11, 2008, 1:05 PM

I often wonder why people think they can attack others?

I congratulate you on being a size 4, having a super duper lifestyle and having (hopefully) a wonderful life with your child. Are you really happy? Or are you just happy by society’s restraints?

Overweight people, and I know because I’ve been overweight since the age of 8 or 9, are more than their weight. They are PEOPLE. Ever talked to an overweight person? You probably haven’t because you are so stuck on size. I honestly think people like you need to be reeducated on the general principles of humanity. Generally, people like you won’t talk to someone like me or the guy at the SuperMarket because he is “fat”. You probably wouldn’t have taken a drink from him at a bar either but stay with some guy who is a mechanical robot but looks good.

It is a shame. Personally, don’t attack people, because you don’t have any idea what it’s like for the rest of us.

And size 12 as fat?!?! hahahahahaha. Right. Go around and ask people what size they are and you will be surprised. It depends on what you clothe yourself with, not how big your body is.

Overall, this makes me sad. But I guess if these ideas continuted to be perpetuated, my kid is going to have to accept people as they are and reach out to kids like yours…

Mary M August 11, 2008, 1:26 PM

This is another thing that men created to pit women against each other instead of against them. It’s too bad we’re all falling for it.

healthylady August 11, 2008, 1:48 PM

Okay ladies, this is enough! We should not be criticizing one another. People come is all sizes and shapes. Some people are taller, others are short, and others are or average height. The size of your clothes does not dictate if you are underweight, overweight, or obese. Should we be focused on the size of our clothes or on our lifestyle? In my opinion we should focus more on leading a healthier lifestyle for us and our family.
• Eating healthier which includes eating lots of fruits and vegetables, moderate amounts of complex carbohydrates, dairy products, lean meats, and all other foods in moderation. It is not realistic to complete cut some foods and beverages out of a person diet but it is realistic to decrease it. We are all able to eat a little of everything portion control is the key factor.
• Exercising which can also include playing with your kids. Ex. Ball games, swimming, hide and seek etc… those games that are play in the backyard, and park. Not only will you be exercising but that is also quality time you will be spending with the kids. Cleaning the house also is a great exercise and you can teach your kids responsibility by getting them to help you.
• Making love to you husband (you ca burn a lot of calories that way and is wonderful for your relationship)
I do all those things listed above. My jeans size does not dictate my health status but, my lifestyle does and I am happy to be a size HEALTHY woman happy with the way I look and feel. My husband finds me sexy and I have a very happy life. To me and I hope that for all of you that should be all that matters.

Eva  August 11, 2008, 2:06 PM

Size 12 FAT? Honestly, people like you should keep their mouth shut. The world is a much better place without people like you speaking.

Michelle August 11, 2008, 2:39 PM

I hate ignorant people. I think if this lady would have a beer or dessert once in awhile, she wouldn’t be yelling at size 12’s. Not everyone is lucky enough to have the frame to be a size 4. There are actually big boned frames in the world, who would look sick if they were a size 4. I am one of those people. I would look damn good if I were a size 12. I wouldn’t be thinking to myself “Oh, I need to be a size 4 to look good.” Yes, I do need to lose weight, but I’m not going to deprive myself just so I can meet your standards. You’re one of the reasons people get eating disorders, because they think people like you need to be happy. So they don’t eat and eventually die from starving themselves, just to be a size 4 or less. I bet those people were saying “I wish I weighed more” You need to get a better self image. Maybe have that beer, or a dessert. It’s not like 1 is going to make you gain 5 dress sizes. I’m also sure that most men would prefer their women be healthy, instead of necessarily being a size 4. If you can be a size 4 AND be a healthy person… great! Good for you. Most of us are not that lucky. So why don’t you do some research, and get past your prejeduced ways. You’re just as bad as racists.