Size 12, You're Fat!

Guest blogger MILF Mommy thinks you're fat.

size_12_is_fat_c.jpg

I am sick and tired of hearing that it's OK to be a size 12. I understand that this is the average weight of women in the United States, but since when does average make everything OK? Here's some low-cal food for thought...

1. You're not as cute as you could be. Being a size 12 is neither healthy nor is it attractive. Ask any man (in private) if he'd prefer that his size 12 wife lose weight and he'd say, "YES!"

2. You're lying about feeling good. Any woman who says she'd rather be a size 12 than a size 6 is lying. Think about it. Have you ever met someone who has lost weight who regrets it? Does anyone ever say, "I hate how I look in this sexy dress with my toned arms"? Or, "I preferred it when I had a muffin top belly and huge thighs"?

3. Stop pretending you are on a diet. I'm also sick of these size 12 women pretending that they do everything possible, but just can't lose the weight. That's impossible. If you really exercised 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week and ate the recommended 1800 calories a day, you wouldn't be a size 12. So stop pretending. And FYI -- it defeats the purpose if you eat salads for every meal that are covered in bacon and blue cheese dressing.

4. Thin people aren't lucky -- they work harder than you. I work very hard to be a size 4. It's difficult, but I always find the time to work out. I also make many food sacrifices. I would love to eat baked ziti for lunch and get dessert after every meal. I'd also be thrilled to drink a beer! But, sometimes in life you have to give things up in order to gain something bigger.

5. Stop using genes as a crutch. I get it. Sometimes it's harder for people to eat well and exercise than it is for others--being heavy may run in your family, you may have had an issue way back when. The same goes for people who do drugs, but it doesn't make it OK that they are addicts.

This may sound harsh, but you are doing a disservice to our children. I don't want my daughters under the delusion that life will be easy as a chunky person. It's harder to get work, find a husband and even walk up stairs. It's also a good way to decrease your life expectancy. It seems to be taboo to discuss this epidemic too loudly, but I think it's time we start.

Related Galleries

next: Is Sunscreen Dangerous for Kids?
Myrtle August 13, 2008, 2:00 PM

Guess what? Whether you’re skinny or fat, you’re still gonna die. I feel sorry for you if you feel guilty about putting bacon bits or blue cheese on your salads - what a wasted life you’ve had with all those sacrifices you’ve made for your self. Hope being a size 4 is tremendously wonderful for you, and your toned arms are not mistaken for a man’s.

Angela  August 13, 2008, 2:41 PM

My heart goes out to the size 12’s and size 0’s. I have been both. I was a 4-6 most of my life, but gained weight in law school because of the stress, time constraints and poor eating habits. I went from a 4 to a 12 in those 3 years. My ex-husband made me feel lousy about it and demanded that I lose weight. I tried and nothing seemed to work. We got a divorce, i found peace and the weight literally melted away. Becoming thin became too much of a good thing and I developed an eating disorder where I weighed less than 100 pounds and had to be hospitalized. People worship you when you are skinny. They treat you like you have inherent superiority because you’re small. It is intoxicating to get that kind of reverence and envy from other women. People treated me as if I were invisible when I was “fat” (but at 5’4 and 160 pounds, I was). So the envious stares addicted me, thinness is worshipped here. I didn’t work out (I had no energy) I just hardly ever ate. My hair thinned and I looked gaunt and sick, but at least I was a 00. I’m sorry for the long post but we women have to stick together—there is nothing more unappealing than a woman who hates her body. I am a now a size 0 but at 5’4 and 109 I am in the healthy range. I will need surgery to correct my breasts which went from luscious natural 36DDs to a pitiful 32b with double D skin if u know what I mean. I am struggling every day to see my body as acceptable and the minute i gain a pound, i simply can’t eat until it’s gone. It has been a hard struggle. Please love yourselves and feel comfortable in your skin (no matter the size), because eating disorders like mine wreak havoc on your body,skin, heart, relationships etc. and it is so tough to beat it. I love women (I’m not gay). I think we are so exquisitely beautiful—each in our own way and let’s stop hating each other—we can be our own worst enemies.

Roz August 13, 2008, 2:54 PM

Good bones!!
I may not have the best post baby bod, bit I’ve got good bones and would look like skeletor if I dropped to a size four. I happen to like my “skinny” size 8, and when I get back to it I’ll enjoy sitting on my curvy bottom and laughing while watching the size 4 police handing out the tickets.
Why don’t you just sit back MILF Mommy and think about how you’ll explain to your little girls exactly what your name means and just why it’s so important for you to be one.

Patricia August 13, 2008, 3:29 PM

I spent years being called fat, lazy and undisciplined because of my weight. I really tried to lose so many times but couldn’t. Finally I saw an endocrinologist who did a burn rate analysis and discovered that I burn only 1300 calories a day. That being the case, your 1800 calorie a day regimine would have me gaining about a pound and a half each week. Get over yourself! What a shame you equate self-worth with dress size. Oh and for the record- when I was a size six, my husband complained that I was too skinny, boney and unhealthy looking…at a size 16/18…he can’t keep his hands off. I think most men would rather have a wife who joins them for a steak, is over all healthy and has good self esteem than a lettuce nibbling, low-self-esteem nuerotic judgemental witch like you!

April August 13, 2008, 4:40 PM

I would love to see a picture of this person. I bet she is not what she claims she is.

Anna August 13, 2008, 4:48 PM

I am around a size 4 dress size and for the record many woman who are slim don’t feel this way. I know for a fact that some people are naturally a certain size. I, for one, dont exercise, or even eat as healthy as I should. I don’t mean to say this to brag but to make a point that how skinny you are does not always have anything to do with how much work you do to maintain the ideal weight. I have plenty of freinds who are naturally heavier then I am, I don’t think any less of them for it. My best freind eats less then me and can easily beat many people in the fitness perspective (including myself). Yes, there are many people who do use health excuses for their weight when they keep a horde of twinkies and ding dongs in their house and don’t exercise at all. These people know who they are and need to take better care of themselves. It is not our buisness who they are, nor is it safe to make assumptions on people who are overweight.

sheila August 13, 2008, 6:42 PM

What a jerk.

Lauren August 13, 2008, 7:06 PM

Just because you are skinny and are educated about proven weight-loss/weight-gain statistics doesn’t mean you are “instilling” an eating disorder in some one. I am a size 1, 125 pounds and eat very comfortably, because yes, i actually excersize and and can read a food label

Vici August 13, 2008, 8:13 PM

For some women being a size 12 might be healthier than an a size 6. For me at 5”2’ that pressure to be so thin and perfect was to be a size 2 and i worked really hard after I had my daughter to loose the weight and keep it off and after 6 months I started passing out all the time, my doctor said it had to do with (shocker!) not eating enough. I realize this might be abnormal, not everyone is killing themselves to be thin, but not everyone is going to be able to be super-thin and be healthy. I think women need to let go of the need to be tiny and let themselves enjoy life more.

Size Unknown August 13, 2008, 10:17 PM

As I read through some of the comments to “MILF Mommy” I realize the average person is a size 12. My closet contains clothes from a size 4 to a 12. I wear the 10’s and 12’s the most. I feel good & love my life. My family tells me I look so much better at my current weight than I did when I wore a size 4. I feel like I have more energy at this weight. I have a loving husband, a 16 yr old son and a 2 yr old son. The other day my 16 yr old said that his friends think I’m a MILF. Hmmm… interesting… I guess that’s a compliment although it kind of grosses me out. I can’t believe you are bragging about that. It just goes to prove that us “size 12’ers” can be MILF’s too!

Jamie August 14, 2008, 9:34 AM

I cannot believe the uneducated comments made by MILF. First of all not all size 12 individuals are lazy or don’t try to loose weight. There are medical conditions that make it hard to near impossible to loose weight I have to bust my rear every day to maintain a size 10 and I must say I look good as a 10. It is completely stupid (I hate to use this word but it is the only one that applies)for you to suggest that a single size will look good for everyone. There are several things that go into a persons size besides “fat” including bone structure height and genitics. As far as being healthy, I had an Aunt who was your perfect size 4 her entire life (genetics not healthy lifestyle) who died at the age of 39 with a heart condition. Bottom line, if you are healthy and happy regardless of your size Great for you keep it up. If not choose to make a change for yourself not because some uneducated person stated it was the way to go.

April August 14, 2008, 12:17 PM

WOW, I have to say. Even if I were anorexic I wouldn’t be smaller than a size 12. My BONES in my hips are too wide… becuase (your guessed it!) I’ve had BABIES. The hips spread to allow and never quiet went back to as small as they were before. So I’m size 14,though I am technically a few lbs over my “ideal” weight (think 20lbs here), even if I lost that 20 lbs I’d be pushing a 12. SO GIVE ME A BREAK. This is like me saying all short people are malnurished. WTH. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how well you eat or how much you excersise. Your body is individual and just cause mine is not yours does NOT mean mine is not good.

Man I’m glad I don’t have to be around anyone like you. In fact I avoid people that shallow.

kris  August 14, 2008, 12:51 PM

If this is what your lifes priorities are what a waste of time. I’ve been married for 30 plus years have been a 6-14 and my husband loves “ME” more than ever!!! The best weight any one could lose is a man who dosen’t appreciate his wife for who she is not a number in a dress

carrie August 14, 2008, 1:13 PM

Someone needs to indulge in some ziti and quit being jealous of all of us chocolate eating, family oriented people.

Rachy August 14, 2008, 1:41 PM

Just a thought …
Marilyn Monroe was and still is a sexy symbol right?
Well, She was a size 12 and peaked at a size 16.

The real issue here is health. Are you healthy? Take care of yourself. You don’t need to be bone thin to be healthy!

justme August 14, 2008, 3:04 PM

I am genetically thin. I eat more fast food and move less than anyone I know. I do NOT work at it. I AM just lucky. And if society’s views were different, I would be the unlucky one. In fact, I hated my skinny little self all through junior high because the anorexic look wasn’t “in” then.

If all things were equal, I would be the fat one and my friends would be the skinny ones. I know I have nothing to do with my thinness, so I pretty much think they have nothing to do with their heaviness, I think genetics plays a bigger role than most people give it credit for.

I will tell you, though, that my weight hasn’t changed in the past 10 years, and I’ve gone from a 4 to a 2 to sometimes a 0, depending on the brand. I freaked out and went to my doc to see why I was losing weight suddenly. Turns out, my body hasn’t changed, the clothes have. So MILF, you might be a 4 now, but chances are VERY good those fours are where a 6 or an 8 used to be, even a year ago. Quit obsessing over that number, it means nothing, just what the manufacturer decided to put on there. (I always take at least 3 sizes into a dressing room, and the pants in my closet range from 0 to 8, and they ALL fit me right now).

And you know what? My cholesterol is high, and I’m walking around in skinny jeans. I’m probably more at risk for heart problems than most “size 12’s” out there, but I don’t get lectured constantly, only at the Dr’s. It must be hideous to be lectured constantly based on a superficial judgment people make just looking at you.

Rachael August 15, 2008, 12:32 AM

I pray to God you don’t have a daughter!! It is really too bad there is still B*TCH’S like you influencing are daughters.

Heidi August 15, 2008, 12:36 PM

I can’t imagine what it must be like to have nothing better to worry about than whether or not I was as cute as I could be … . Seriously, if I ever become this concerned about something as universally unimportant as my physical appearance, please, put me out of my self-absorbed misery.

Heidi August 15, 2008, 12:39 PM

P.S. - Harder to find a husband? Are you kidding me? The fact of the matter is, being “a chunky person” makes it far easier to find a GOOD husband. Life is nice when you don’t have a whole bunch of losers who are just using you because you look good.

Shay August 15, 2008, 2:10 PM

Wow. That’s so cool you’re a size 4 MILF! My question is, what size is your brain? Certainly not near as big as your head! I’m a size 2. Chew on that. Bet you’re feeling pretty fat now. You’re quite the heifer! Now get to the gym and work a little harder.