Size 12, You're Fat!

Guest blogger MILF Mommy thinks you're fat.

size_12_is_fat_c.jpg

I am sick and tired of hearing that it's OK to be a size 12. I understand that this is the average weight of women in the United States, but since when does average make everything OK? Here's some low-cal food for thought...

1. You're not as cute as you could be. Being a size 12 is neither healthy nor is it attractive. Ask any man (in private) if he'd prefer that his size 12 wife lose weight and he'd say, "YES!"

2. You're lying about feeling good. Any woman who says she'd rather be a size 12 than a size 6 is lying. Think about it. Have you ever met someone who has lost weight who regrets it? Does anyone ever say, "I hate how I look in this sexy dress with my toned arms"? Or, "I preferred it when I had a muffin top belly and huge thighs"?

3. Stop pretending you are on a diet. I'm also sick of these size 12 women pretending that they do everything possible, but just can't lose the weight. That's impossible. If you really exercised 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week and ate the recommended 1800 calories a day, you wouldn't be a size 12. So stop pretending. And FYI -- it defeats the purpose if you eat salads for every meal that are covered in bacon and blue cheese dressing.

4. Thin people aren't lucky -- they work harder than you. I work very hard to be a size 4. It's difficult, but I always find the time to work out. I also make many food sacrifices. I would love to eat baked ziti for lunch and get dessert after every meal. I'd also be thrilled to drink a beer! But, sometimes in life you have to give things up in order to gain something bigger.

5. Stop using genes as a crutch. I get it. Sometimes it's harder for people to eat well and exercise than it is for others--being heavy may run in your family, you may have had an issue way back when. The same goes for people who do drugs, but it doesn't make it OK that they are addicts.

This may sound harsh, but you are doing a disservice to our children. I don't want my daughters under the delusion that life will be easy as a chunky person. It's harder to get work, find a husband and even walk up stairs. It's also a good way to decrease your life expectancy. It seems to be taboo to discuss this epidemic too loudly, but I think it's time we start.

Related Galleries

next: Is Sunscreen Dangerous for Kids?
Gina September 5, 2008, 3:38 AM

If the writer actually ate desert and drank a beer once in a while she might not be so angry.

This is funny!

I am overweight and working on it, but since having my last child and medication that I have been on that has been extremely difficult. I, like PP, lose respect for anyone who calls herself MILF

DarinsMom September 5, 2008, 6:11 AM

I think the issue isn’t from your opinionated post - its from your lack of respect for people who aren’t you.

Deb September 5, 2008, 8:07 AM

I’m a toned size 10 and have luscious curve that my hubby adores. I rock my bod and I’m far from a size 4.
MILF, go eat a sandwich and get over yourself. Really.

Dawn September 5, 2008, 9:15 AM

My 16 year old son used the word milf once…(by the way, he was grounded for using it) which is about the mentality of the article on size 12 your fat rant…If you left your high school,and ventured into the world at large, which is LARGER than just the US, you would soon find that a size 10 is ideal over most of Europe and standard here. World art, robust women…(the really skinny people in famous art are either suffering some cruel fate.. like hell or famine, mental illness or some great angst)… People are built the way they are, colored the way they are to serve a purpose. Heartier people (especially of European descent), evolve that way to serve the pupose of what they lived to do. (work that they needed to survive or climate that they needed to live in) What a limited world/human view. I really hope there was no room in your size 4 narrow hips to procreate to add to this ridiculous mentality and further your own ibicile hatred for the heartier built of society.
ANd you know the old saying.. more cushin’ for the pushin’ .. how come there are no sayings about intimacy with a bag o bones? OH! Because NOBODY WANTS A BAG OF BONES…

:::have some pie, lighten up:::: HA!!

George September 5, 2008, 9:18 AM

I love this. Whenever someone tells you what you don’t want to hear they are the stupid ones. Nobody said size twelve was obese but it is “chunky for sure and medical sceince has told us time and again that extra weight is no good for you. Oh yea and it is unattractive. Sorry but it’s true. So go ahead ladies deny reality

R U confused? September 5, 2008, 9:22 AM

My dear, your health is not determined by your dress size. Despite the size number on my clothing, I have better than normal blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. screens.

I’m happy that you are blessed with a thin frame and are happy with the way you look. More people should be happy with themselves. However, the negatives you proclaim are exactly why when I was a pre-teen/teen, I exercized constantly and starved myself in an attempt to literally fit in. Despite 7 YEARS of doing that to myself, I never wore a single-digit article of clothing. Ironically, no one knew of my eating disorder because I never became rail thin.

I stopped thinking “size” and started focusing on “health” when I was pregnant with my first child. The number on the scale and on the tag of my clothes are not as important as the numbers I have from screens that determine my health.

No, I’m not condemning you for your size but please realize that not everyone is truly designed to be a size 0-8. Lord knows I tried so it’s not my crutch. Also, if not being a single digit means I’m resigning, as your 5 points suggest, well than I’m happy with that…because I am cute, I feel good, I’m teaching my children how to live healthfully.

P.S. A job & a husband do not determine your happiness or success, they come from within.

Scientific reader September 5, 2008, 9:25 AM

The way you say “all size 12s are fat” is extremely narrow-minded. Size 0 women can be unfit, too—skinny doesn’t always mean healthy or toned. Regardless of what size a woman is, if she doesn’t exercise, she’s ruining her health. Many skinny women get that way by eating less, or worse, developing an eating disorder. Are you saying that someone who has bulimia is healthier than someone who enjoys their carbs? Many larger women are still very healthy because they’re fit for their size—muscular and have little fat, but still have more body mass.

And as an opinion, rather than scientific fact? Curves are more fun that sticks any day. I AM happier being a few sizes “too big” for America if it means I don’t have to have breast implants to have curves. I think you’re “doing a disservice to our children” by judging so harshly. Different people have different priorities; some women would rather eat what they want some of the time and focus on being a kind person who minds her own business in such trivial matters. Me? I’m somewhere in the middle.

feelin good bout me September 5, 2008, 9:53 AM

i have to agree with kristen f i’m 5’8 and a size 12 and i look good! i was anorexic last year and got 2 a size 6 and i looked terrible! i felt terrible,i was weak and just didnt have energy 2 do anything! size 12 is beautiful and men who dont like it (and i haven’t had that problem) are looking for more than just a thin woman!!

Anonymous September 5, 2008, 9:53 AM

yeah this is some hilariously narrow minded, disgusting bs. milf mommy, you will never be as cute as marilyn monroe, and she was about a size 12. there’s some nummy food for thought.

i would rather be dead than be this self-absorbed.

Ericaaaaaa September 5, 2008, 10:12 AM

I to some extent get where she is coming from. It’s NOT healthy to be big and out of shape and there IS obesity epidemic in our country. And I do agree that people who are overweight are that way because of unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise. And I mean, it truly is not THAT difficult to loose weight or maintain a smaller size with a little work. I have two kids, I work, I run a household, etc and I still manage to maintain a size 6 (which IS bigger than Id like, but im OK with it). BUT at the same time it’s this mind-set that leads to low self-esteem, eating disorders, mental health problems, low self-worth etc in people who are not IDEAL. I mean, like I said Im a size 6 and think that’s fat because of our society’s ridiculous obsession with being extremely thin. People should be more concerned with being HEALTHY as opposed to being a size zero. If you’re a size 10 and healthy as a mule, size shouldnt matter. And maybe if us women would stop judgeing each other on our weight, maybe men would too…. And yeah, anyone who calls Herself “milf mommy” gets very little respect from me too.

Beauty September 5, 2008, 10:18 AM

A TONED size 12 is good. But its not the end of the world.My husband hates that I am size 12. I accepted that i do not want to do exercise as often as i should and my husband has no choice!LOL
I think 8 is perfect. But who is? nobody is perfect!

cora September 5, 2008, 10:26 AM

who is this bragadocious size 4 body with a size 4 brains who thinks size 12 is fat? it’s so sad to hear people talk about how beautiful they are (they think they are) but in reality it’s the total opposite. hey woman, there must be a crack in your mirror.

Sara September 5, 2008, 10:41 AM

At 5’10” and 161 pounds I’m a very healthy size 12. I eat well and do aerobics 3 times a week. If you would check your facts you would discover that 161 pounds and a size 12 is comfortably in the healthy weight range for someone my height. I’m not overweight at all, I have a healthy BMI and I’m very happy with my body.
I think this article was nothing more than insecurity on your part.

Sampix September 5, 2008, 10:41 AM

I would just like to add that I was always between a size 1 and 3, I ate whatever I wanted, never exercised, call it good genes. Two years ago I gained about 20 pounds and now am between a 5 and 7 and have never had so many compliments. Everyone told me I finally look healthy, that I was too thin before. Granted I went from being nothing to flabby, so i started to exercise. I don’t mind what size jeans I fit into as long as I am happy with what I see when i look into the mirror. Exercise does more than just help you lose weight, it’s good for your body for other reasons, and it’s good for you mentally as well. I am still a 5/7, but since I started exercising I have more energy, more self confidence, a more toned body, and my boyfriend loves it. So, no i don’t fit into those size 3 jeans anymore, but I am healthy now and I actually have a figure.
The point is not how thin you are but how fit you are. It is definitely possible to be a size 10 and be physically and mentally healthy, just depends on your body. Not everyone is built the same. So before you go giving your daughters a complex, try just making sure they aren’t overeating (or undereating) and keep them active. Eating right and exercise will make sure they are healthy, regardless of clothing size.

Lissa  September 5, 2008, 11:33 AM

are you for real??? You need some serious couch time…You are either really self concious with low self esteem or really superficial and Vain..I am 5’9” and a size 12…not fat nor “athletic”…most men ( not young boys ) honestly would prefer a woman who has good self esteem and a great personality who might not be “thin” to a woman who is self absorbed and concerned about every little calorie they ingest and is thin…atleast thats what I hear from most of the men I know…I think I’ll have baked ziti tonight with a beer…Mmmmm…

Crystal September 5, 2008, 11:41 AM

I LOVE this article! In fact, I just hung it on my fridge! Maybe I should consider myself lucky to be 25 years old, 5’4”, 125 lb and a size 3, but it does come with it’s hardships - 30 minutes on the elliptical, 5 days a week, 300 crunches a day and a small bit of resistance training. It only takes an hour, and it sucks, but let me tell you, the results are worth it. I renamed my elliptical machine the “Torture Machine”. My husband laughs when he can hear me cursing all the way downstairs when I am on it! Don’t get me wrong, I love brownies and beer just as much as the next person, and I’m forced to keep a steady amount of carbs and pasta going through the house to feed my husband and his 2 growing boys all the time. It takes LOTS of discipline to keep on a healthy diet, and I give in a lot, I’m only human. But your mindset changes when you start working out. I start thinking about how long I’ll have to spend on that elliptical to burn off that small piece of cheese danish I want to woof down for breakfast, or the iced coffee I’d like to order with extra cream and sugar. Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to be miserable, you just need to be creative. I’m an exotic dancer. I usually make $2500 a week, and I only work 2 nights. (Call me whatever you’d like but someone has to do it!) In all honesty, guys always request hot, thin girls! I’m not just talking about young guys in their 20’s, I mean guys like your husbands and boyfriends! If you’re happy being heavier set, by all means, keep doing what you’re doing. I truly believe that happiness is the most important part of life. But if you’re not, start making some changes - small ones to start. Use 1 less cream and sugar in your morning coffee, go for a 10 minute walk on your afternoon break. Like Mel Gibson said in “The Patriot” - “Aim small, miss small”. Set small realistic goals for yourself. You start to feel better, and it’ll get easier as the weeks go by. But remember this - Sometimes it hurts to be beautiful!

Jessica September 5, 2008, 11:47 AM

WOW so let us all know how that turns out. When your Daughter is jamming her finger down her throat to stay skinny because she does not want to be calling fat by her “mommy”

Yes I agree there are people that are super heavy and don’t lift a finger to change it. I my self am a size 12 and to be completely honest. I don’t care. I look darn good!! I don’t have rolls hanging off me. I think your only around on this earth once and I’m not going to be counting calories instead of enjoying life. Because in the end its not going to matter if your a size 24 or 0..

Amory M Mayberry September 5, 2008, 11:55 AM

Im 5’9 and about a size 8/10, ive measured the diierences in sizes and its only about 3/4 of an inch, so for the “milf” to say I AM FAT really pisses me off, she must very vertically and mathmatically challenged because every person has their own size of health (its not obese) but it doesnt go by you size either, not to mention, if i go into a store like ambercrombie and fitch, i would wear a size 16, I happen to get cat calls everyday and turn heads whereever i go, I AM A SIZE 12 AND I AM NOT FAT, and liek someone said before, please get that skanky “MILF” a pastery!

Jessica September 5, 2008, 12:00 PM

Thank God someone finally has the gonads to say this. Being average should never be okay, healthy or not. In this case, it’s not healthy. Instead of saying what size the average American woman is, why don’t we focus on the fact that the average American is overweight. Like the author said, it’s unhealthy and unattractive. We are the fattest nation in the world. Also like the author, I work hard to keep my figure. I don’t starve myself, and I don’t binge. It’s about self control and self value.

Avienne September 5, 2008, 12:13 PM

The valid: Today’s size 12 is not Marylin Monroe’s size 12. It is more like yesterday’s size 16 or 18. Clothing manufacturers have adjusted sizing to flatter women’s egos as a marketing technique. So to that end, many woman who are size 12 are overweight.

This also means that anyone who is a size 4 in today’s clothing is a yesterday’s size 8. That includes you, MILF Mommy.

Are you stressing now? You shouldn’t be. Barring outright obesity and the sizes that reflect that (think Lane Bryant), clothing size has nothing to do with health. Never has, never will. Muscle tone and strength and cardiovascular capacity are the markers of health.

Genetics does play a certain role, in that they predispose people to certain body types and weights. A healthy endocrine system also plays a role. When my thyroid is acting up, I gain weight. When it’s under control, I lose what I gained and maintain it.

However, these things interact with your behavior and environment. Being predisposed to putting on weight and having a thyroid disease does not mean you WILL put on weight, IF you adapt to those predispositions and treat your body accordingly.

I make my living as a health writer. MILF Mommy does not. Be careful where you get your information. A list of rants by an angry blogger is not the place for credible health information.