Skinny Celeb: A Hypocrite?

First, photos of her showing a less than flattering side surfaced. Then, while she defended her curves, she also declared she was a size 2 (really?). Now, Jennifer Love Hewitt is 18 pounds lighter, saying she lost the weight for health reasons.

So, let's do the math--you were a size 2. You lose 18 pounds--in 10 weeks no less. Size 2 minus 18 lbs equals what, the size of a kindergartener?

In December 2007, Love defended herself after being scrutinized by the media--who were fascinated by her wide rear end caught on camera in Hawaii a month earlier. She posted the following on her website, "I've sat by in silence for a long time now about the way women's bodies are constantly scrutinized...To set the record straight, I'm not upset for me, but for all the girls out there that are struggling with their body image." She went on to declare, "To all girls with butts, boobs, hips and a waist, put on a bikini--put it on and stay strong."

In this week's Us magazine, the actress is looking much thinner than she did in those infamous photos. Although she's proudly posing in a form-fitting dress on the cover of the magazine, her trainer claims, "With her, it's not, 'I want to look good in that dress'... She wanted to start moving around because she thought it would make her feel better." Is she sending a mixed message to our kids?  And, are you buying it?

Celeb Moms Lose Pounds Real Moms Lose Pounds Dangerously Thin

next: Jolie and Pitt 'Wreck the Earth'?
anna August 20, 2008, 12:44 AM

I think she looked fine in those pictures. she didnt need to lose any weight. she should have just stuck up for herself and been happy with how she looked and who she is. BUT, she shouldn’t have lied and said she was a size 2, and then lose the weight. she should have just stayed the way she was.

Anonymous August 20, 2008, 2:53 PM

her only problem was that she had cellulite like the rest of us. she didn’t need to lose weight, she just needed to firm up, which with cellulite is not even a matter of toning with weights. it is a connective tissue disorder.

Sharon August 20, 2008, 6:35 PM

Just a couple of comments:
1) She could be a size 2, “the camera adds 10 pinds”, there is nothing to compare her to in the pictures…and all the celebrities are tiny!
2) I LOVED her response at the time…she does definitely have curves and she’s kind of known for them as well…which actually gives the tendency to pack on a little more weight, after all breasts are mostly fat tissue (that’s why women like Lindsay Lohan go from curvy to skinny/ scrawny/ flat)
3) I thought when I saw the pictures that it was an unflattering suit for her (that style is unflattering for all except long-lean) and that it looks like it was an old one/ wrong size/ she’d left her suit at home and had to make due. ;-) She looks fine though and I was happy to see it.
4) I agree with the posters who said about the industry and about that maybe she hadn’t even realized that she wasn’t as fit as she had been. I wish it would have been presented as she’d gotten in ‘better shape’ though instead of weight. {related: I like the Queen Latifa ads…but I think she’s just pretty real}

Stacey August 23, 2008, 4:40 PM

The bottom line is that we need to teach our children to have REAL role models. And I’m not talking about the size of the person, I’m talking about real people they can look up to for reasons other than what movie they were in, what song they sing or how thin they can be. The reality is that people in the entertainment industry should NOT be our children’s role models. The only person who should have to worry about setting a good example are each child’s parents.

dragonfly49 August 24, 2008, 6:10 PM

What a load of crap!

B.Nameless September 2, 2008, 9:37 PM

Well, how tall is she? Maybe she was a size 2. Hey, let’s find her and measure her! Who cares?! Let’s all just try to be healthy for ourselves and not worry about the lucky few celebrities who have everything at their disposal.