Teachers: Stay off MySpace!

There are some things about our kids' teachers we just don't want to see.

Pamela Rogers Turner, a former elementary school teacher who was prosecuted for having sex with a 13-year-old student over a three-month period, is in trouble again--this time, for posting racy photos and a sexy striptease video on her MySpace page.

See the video for yourself:

Although Turner's profile has since been taken down, it brings up an interesting question: Should teachers have MySpace pages at all?

CNN reports that state legislator Jane Cunningham is sponsoring a bill in the Missouri House of Representatives that would ban elementary school teachers from having social-networking friendships with their students. In addition to the bill in the Missouri legislature, other school boards, teacher unions and parent-teacher associations across the country are drafting policies and issuing advisements about which online or text messaging relationships are acceptable.

We're sorry, but we just don't want to see our kids' teachers' "girls gone wild" moments on the 'Net. Sure, she might like getting sloshed on mojitos come Friday night (and we would too, after a week surrounded by fourth graders), but--when it comes to teachers--this is just TMI. Too. Much. Information.

Do you agree?

next: ML Obsession for the Weekend
Anonymous July 14, 2008, 9:35 AM

I am a teacher and I have a facebook page. However, my page is private and has information about my family and being a mom. I don’t have ANYTHING questionable on my page. Teachers have a code of ethics to follow in my state..you can’t have racy things all over the internet and expect people not to find out. Doesn’t she know that you can just google someone’s name and find anything they have on the net?

Kristen Fortuna July 14, 2008, 10:20 AM

There’s nothing wrong with having a MySpace page, just know how to use it and what not to put on there if you don’t have a private page.

Christina July 14, 2008, 10:37 AM

I to have a myspace and a facebook page…however, my myspace page is under my husbands name, is set on private, and my students need to know my e-mail address or my maiden name in order to even try to befriend me. Also, I do not have information on my profile that would be inappropriate if a high school kid read it…I have my family, favorite sports teams, etc…All my picures are of my pets and baby…the only thing i do make sure is that if I befriend someone (like my family or friends) I preview their pictures as well before I befriend them and ask them to remove those that could cause rumors, and almost everyone undedrstands and if they dont who wants to be friends with them anyways?

CGH July 14, 2008, 11:47 AM

I think that teachers should put judgment into their pages, knowing that someone will be looking at them. Future employees, parents, and even students! So I think that they can have them if they don’t exploit themselves.

SugarPlumFairy July 14, 2008, 12:26 PM

I agree with CGH. Teachers (because they are role models) need to exercise some discretion when they post things in public forums.

Connir Desire July 14, 2008, 12:48 PM

In all it should be done in good taste,with respect to all viewer…

KAT July 15, 2008, 7:01 AM

Teachers have standards to follow, and I have seen many immature ones place pictures of themselves partying with students finding it and talking about it the next day on MySpace. There should be some sort of professional accountability to be held to. Kids are getting Facebook pages too now— I have one of those which my students found, but it is locked down with privacy and they cannot see anything (to their dismay). Not there is anything wrong there, but there has to be a line of personal/professional conduct that is not crossed. I have a wiki that is for school that students access- with my encouragement and my school’s backing.

beck July 15, 2008, 7:14 AM

I think Myspace is for younge kids….So if these teachs want to think have Myspace profiles, set them to private. It’s so unprofessional and I think embarassing to have a Myspace account, myself, as a 27 year old!!! Myspace is for kids who have no life!!!

Kay July 15, 2008, 9:43 AM

I have a Myspace page and A good Life I’m 27 and I have saw a few older People who also are my age and are happily married with Kids and a great job so your saying 27 year olds shouldn’t have a page and they have no life if the have a Myspace page.I made mine to get into contact with old Schoolmates.

kleejo July 15, 2008, 10:08 AM

I think that myspace and facebook should be used with alot of discretion. I am 40 something and enjoy the ability to contact friends and coworkers of all ages. If any of them don’t want me to see something, they put it in a private folder. One comment though: One of my nieces was showing a bunch of party hardy pics on myspace until she was reminded by a cousin that her aunts were all on myspace. It is ok for parents and family members to make the kids accountable and responsible for their actions, and content

KEL July 15, 2008, 12:30 PM

WHATTA THINK ABOUT THIS? M

Marty July 15, 2008, 12:55 PM

Im going to school to be a teacher. I thing that you should be allowwd to have a myspace page. BUT beware what you put on it can vbe seen by anyone. If u think what is on your page could get u in trouble than DONT DO IT & if u get in trouble than thats ur fault for putting it up. teacher r allowed to have lives too but they just have to be careful that it doesnt get plastered all over the internet

Jamie July 15, 2008, 1:07 PM

Everyone should use discression when posting on the internet. You rarely hear about CEO’s on myspace dancing in their panties.

We should not take away a persons rights to use the internet. It is actually a good way to catch people that are too stupid to act appropriately- and have proof of their behavior.

Mom of a precious girl July 15, 2008, 4:47 PM

Oh my gosh. People need to lighten up. America is the only country in the world that puts such strict restrictions on nudity. What these teachers do in their personal life shouldn’t matter, as long as it doesn’t interfere with their etiquite/behavoir at work as a teacher. I am 26 and I have a myspace page as well. It is a great way to keep in touch with old friends when you can’t afford the long distance bills or have no other way to find them. Anyone can have a myspace page, but it should be age appropriate. I wouldn’t let my child put up racy photos, but once they’re 18; they are adults and can make their own decisions. Everyone makes too big of a deal about everything these days! Lighten up. As long as no one is breaking any laws or hurting themselves or anyone else, we should be able to do what we want without criticism. Everyone has their own opinion and has the freedom to express it, but why be so quick to judge others so harshly?

Tiffany July 17, 2008, 1:01 PM

My brother has a myspace page but he has sense enough to know what to put on there and what not.

This ex-teacher has serious problems. Who could anyone who is an adult want to be with a kid? There are some sick people in the world and thank God that this one got caught. to bad it wasn’t before she preyed on a kid.

Carlos July 26, 2008, 9:41 AM

¿ Is she still in jail ?. I followed the case up to her going to jail, to serve an 8 year sentence.I still feel sorry for this young woman, and believe that she should’ve been put on a treatment, rather than goin to jail.She is no criminal,and needs help. This sentence is goin to destroy her life, and her career.

From the sunny Canary Islands, my compassion for Pamela.

Anonymous August 14, 2008, 1:25 PM

I think this is just sick. There should be laws against this sort of thing.

Anonymous August 14, 2008, 1:25 PM

I am a teacher and I communicate with my kids on myspace. I see nothing wrong with it. Of course, I would never put a video like that on there!

Anonymous August 14, 2008, 1:58 PM

where the hell was myspace and where was facebook when I had hot, sexy teachers in grade school? WTF Man!

Anonymous August 14, 2008, 5:04 PM

I have a facebook page and it can be an excellent forum to communicate with friends, former peers, classmates, etc.
I am also a teacher and wish to keep my professional life and private life separate. As such, I do not accept my students as “friends” on my facebook page. They are my students, they are not my friends.
My facebook is private to everyone but my actual friends, those who are my age in my actual social circle.
Furthermore, there is nothing on my facebook page that would ever embarrass me or cause me shame, I simply keep my page private on principal.