Texting and Driving Deadly for Teens

Is any text message worth dying over?

KAYLA.jpg

Sixteen-year-old Kayla Preuss died of head injuries when she lost control of her car and slammed into the center median. Phone records show Preuss was texting just before the accident.

According to a recent survey, 46% of 16- and 17-year-olds admit to text messaging while driving. That's a frightening statistic, considering AAA found that the risk for a car accident increases by 50% for those who text while driving. Currently, six states have jurisdiction-wide bans on driving while talking on a handheld cell phone, which includes text messaging, according to the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety. Overall, 18 other states have a texting ban--and many other states have introduced legislation to ban this dangerous practice. In fact, a recent survey found 89% of Americans want texting while driving outlawed. Here are just a few others who've died as a result of texting and driving:

Bailey Goodman, 17, was killed along with four of her fellow cheerleaders when she swerved into oncoming traffic, hit a tractor-trailer and her SUV burst into flames. Five days earlier, the five teenagers had graduated from high school. Two minutes before the crash was reported, her phone was used to send a text greeting to a friend.
Ashley D. Miller, 18, veered into oncoming traffic and hit another car head-on while she was texting. She and the other driver, a 40-year-old mother of 1, were killed instantly.
Dana Trammell, 17, was texting someone on her way to her first day of school of senior year when she crashed and was thrown from her vehicle. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Chelsea Ann Bragg, 16, was killed in a rollover crash after texting while driving. She veered off the shoulder of the road and then lost control of the car, causing it to roll twice. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

- 17-year-old Vanna Francis and 15-year-old Ronnie Scroggins drowned when a car carrying seven teenagers drove off the road and into a river. The 20-year-old driver admitted she was texting on her cell phone when the car plunged into the water, and was later arrested.

- 13-year-old Earman Machado was killed Dec. 27, 2007, when a car--driven by Craig P. Bigos, a 31-year-old father of four, who was text messaging--swerved onto the side of the street and struck the boy on his bike. Bigos has been charged with motor vehicle homicide, leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death and driving without a license.

- 18-year-old Makayla Lynn Belew was killed when a text-messaging driver hit her as she walked along the side of the road and then drove away from the scene. A year later, Larry Chad Smithey, 28, was arrested for the crime.

- 17-year-old Patrick Sims was replying to a text message when he drifted into the bicycle lane and struck and killed cyclist Jim Price, 63. He was charged with careless driving resulting in death.

How can parents make sure kids don't text and drive?

To help keep your teens safe while they are in the car, SADD recommends moms follow these guidelines for teaching their kids about driving distractions.

• Know and enforce your state's Graduated Driver License laws and restrictions, including unsupervised driving, time of day and passengers in the car.
  • Sign a teen driving contract such as SADD's Contract for Life
  • Set family driving rules with clear consequences for breaking the rules. SADD recommends rules such as: o No alcohol or drug use o No cell phone use, including text messaging o No driving after 10 p.m. o Keep two hands on the wheel--no eating, changing CDs, handling iPods or other activities while driving o Limit or restrict friends in the car without an adult
  • Follow your own family's rules. Your teen will follow your driving example, so be sure you are keeping your own rules.

How to Avoid Driving Distractions

• Pull off the road. Do not drive while calling or texting.
  • Use speed dialing or voice-activated dialing if you have to make a call while driving.
  • Let your voicemail take the call. You can call back later when you are not driving. * Know when to stop talking. If the conversation is long, emotional or stressful, continue it when you are not driving.
  • Do not take notes while driving. If you don't want to forget a note, use a take recorder or pull off the road.
  • Do not eat or drink while driving.
  • Groom yourself at home, not in the vehicle. Need a visual aid? Watch this with your teen: Through conversation, education, and communication, we hope your teens will get the message that no text message is worth dying for.

next: Skinny Celeb: A Hypocrite?
patelnie December 6, 2010, 6:14 AM

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

sprzedaż mieszkań Wrocław December 7, 2010, 7:03 AM

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

bulustrada December 8, 2010, 7:00 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you could give us something to look at, something that would connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion.

driving anxiety December 8, 2010, 9:03 PM

While we are dealing with items within the vicinity of Texting and Driving Deadly for Teens | momlogic.com, It is a fact that each of us at some point or the other might have experienced driving fear and anxiety in an adverse traffic situation. Studies have revealed that people with driving fear are the safest on the roads as their anxiousness make them more attentive

fear of driving  December 8, 2010, 9:20 PM

While we’re dabbling in the area of Texting and Driving Deadly for Teens | momlogic.com, Tuning up your car is very important since it will be one of the factors that will determine your car’s fuel mileage, engine performance, ride-ability, and the car engine’s life. It should be done regularly to maintain your car’s excellent condition. Here are some pointers to consider when tuning up your car.

Kapsuły SPA December 9, 2010, 7:14 AM

gps December 11, 2010, 6:20 AM

Wow, interesting! Has anyone else come across the same thing compared to this? I am curious where to find more responses on this matter…

noclegi Ustroń December 12, 2010, 1:01 AM

Dude, gimme more!

Turcja December 12, 2010, 5:29 PM

Gerlach December 13, 2010, 2:02 AM

Hi,

Urządzenia chłodnicze December 15, 2010, 9:24 AM

My name is Lukas and i am coming from Poland. I am a member of the wedding photographers greece group and i really love taking wedding photos. i have studied web design in greece at a private college and at my free time i create web sites for my friends and me. I have read most of your articles and comments that you publish daily and i would like to thank you and express my appreciation for your really nice work.

poold December 19, 2010, 5:51 AM

Hello.

Maybe this is worth sharing that i found in this few posts below.[url=http://www.carcoverspal.com]Car Cover[/url]

American DJ Adapters December 21, 2010, 7:05 AM

Wanted to drop a comment and let you know your Rss feed isn’t functioning today. I tried adding it to my Yahoo reader account but got absolutely nothing.

Sklep elektryczny December 21, 2010, 5:24 PM

Heyy – I should say, I sure am happy with your website. I had no trouble navigating via all of the tabs and the information was really easy to gain access to. I discovered what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty awesome. Thank s alot!

Usługi Rachunkowe Wrocław December 22, 2010, 5:56 PM

I just found this blog a while back when a friend suggested it to me. I have been a regular reader ever since.

Masaż Warszawa December 23, 2010, 1:46 AM

You should definately write more about this! Please!

Tłumaczenie December 24, 2010, 5:47 AM

I actually knew about most of this, but having said that, I still thought it was useful. Nice job!

Mei Zeis December 30, 2010, 4:33 PM

Hello I am experiencing a problems with using your web site, I’m having 404 pages extremely frequently, I am not very certain why but once I reload the page it comes okay.

hello kitty games December 31, 2010, 3:42 AM

Can I make a bit of advice? There’s no doubt that you’ve had something great above. However let’s suppose you also added some references towards a page that backs up what you’re you said? Or perhaps you may provide us with more information to check out, whatever would certainly link up what exactly you are talking about, sth more concrete?

Bruno December 31, 2010, 3:55 AM