Husband Heads to the Doghouse

A dad tells us what men really think about their wives' desire to lose weight. Brace yourself...

ladyeating.jpg This is my "Here's What I Don't Get" post. And it's about, well, the
things about women I don't get and what guys want to say but dare not. So let's start this off like this:

Here's what I don't get.

If you are unhappy with how you look and want to lose weight, then quit complaining and do something about it. And one way to do this is to start in your home. Get rid of all the chocolate, ice cream and other junk!

The "what if we have company?" excuse doesn't work. Since we got married and had a child, we rarely have company. The only person that comes around our place is our Guatemalan nanny--and there is no way I am paying her to sit around and eat Eskimo Pies.

What about this sudden urge to bake cookies at 10:30 at night for the neighbor who found a piece of your mail in her box or the employees at work who you complain about? Just cause you have a craving for double-chocolate chip cookies doesn't mean these people are yearning for you to make them. Funny how there always seems to be extras.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays too, but ask yourself "how many trick-or-treaters really come to our door?" If it is only a couple dozen,  then you don't need that many bags of candy. Do the math! And let's be honest, kids don't like Almond Joys, (you do) so don't act surprised when there's some left over. And if there are some it's alright to throw it away. And BTW, buying the candy months ahead of time will not save time and money--another sorry excuse.

Also, who cares if the little girl outside the Ralph's is raising money for her high school cheerleading squad? You don't need to buy the chocolate bar. That isn't charity. Donating money for breast cancer or doing the American Heart Association's Heart Walk are worthy causes. What about them?

Now the things above aren't going to make you lose weight, but they're a step in the right direction to eating healthier and being honest about why these things are REALLY in your home.

Seems obvious to me--or am I missing something?

next: Store Threatens Parents
Sandy August 17, 2008, 10:10 AM

I agree with everything this husband says! If you want to lose weight, take charge, stop talking and do it right - change your eating habits, don’t ‘go on a diet’. It took me years to learn that.

Suzanne  August 17, 2008, 2:36 PM

You are missing the emotional component which contributes to weight gain. Until the emotional issues are dealt with, the struggle with weight will continue. Could it be that the wife seeks comfort from food because she doesn’t get it from her husband?

Jo August 17, 2008, 4:05 PM

We can’t just go blaming every married women’s weight on her husband. If she is unhappy than she needs to make the changes herself. Both my hubby and I are a little cubby but we do not blame each other. I think it’s so much easier to eat the wrong things and not work out. Her husband had every right to say what he did. Yes the truth hurts and yes nobody is prefect. Besides maybe he just wants her to be on top once and awhile without him getting wind knocked out of him. Ladies we can’t always expect our husbands to know what”s wrong with us, that’s why you need to talk to them.

Anonymous August 17, 2008, 4:45 PM

Totally agree with the husband, whether it’s physical OR emotional changes, it’s up to the wife to make them!!

Natalie September 3, 2008, 2:50 PM

You know, a lot of women (myself included) know what to do in order to lose weight, we just need the motivation and help from our spouses. In other words, a swift kick in the ass to get us going will work wonders! Yes, baking cookies at 10:30 at night is NEVER a good idea. However, it doesn’t seem like you are supporting your wife in what she needs, just like my husband. Things like this need to be done together, not just by one person in the family.

Tiffany September 5, 2008, 11:12 AM

Ya know, this guys is right on, this is what my husband says. I used to be a size 9/10, 38c, with a booty, i looked great. I could probably have lost my little pouch on my tummy but whatever. After having my son I gained alot of weight, I mean alot,(as did he) became depressed never did anything about it either. Naturally I thought my husband is not attracted anymore and i would often cry to him about it, and he has said the same things like stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something! It kinda hurt but I knew he was right. Like the saying goes, the truth can hurt. Im starting to eat better, move around more, and working on my self esteem. Being self consious I see is very unattractive. Its partly vanity reasons but I just really want to be healthy for myself and my son. Now if only I could get my husband on the same page, he still eats so much junk, so its always in the house. i guess I can look at it as a way of teaching myself will power. Sorry I rambled, i just really agree w/ this article,

jojo September 7, 2008, 4:49 AM