Guest blogger Paul Starke: It's my lovely wife's birthday this week, and -- wouldn't you know it -- I haven't bought her a gift yet.
I was thinking about getting her a gift card to "Dave & Buster's," but something tells me that might not go over so well. I was stumped. Then I thought -- "Hey, I don't have a topic for this week's Daddy Dozen!" So I've decided to kill two birds with one stone, and as a birthday gift to Melissa, I present "The 12 Reasons Why My Wife is Awesome." Happy birthday, honey!
1. She carried that thing inside her for 9 months: No, that "thing" isn't thinly veiled contempt for me, but our beautiful son, Luke. I carry him for 10 minutes before strapping him in the bouncy seat. I don't know how she does it.
2. She's American, I'm Canadian: Hello, Green Card!
3. She lets me watch football on Sundays instead of going to the flea market: Except for last week. And the week before that.
4. She gave my son incredible blue eyes: Hopefully, he won't inherit my poor posture and gum disease.
5. Her family lives 400 miles away: Granted, I love her family, but the geography makes the pop-in in-law visit impossible.
6. She gets up in the middle of the night to feed the baby while I pretend not to hear him crying, and keep fake sleeping. I don't think I'm fooling anyone, but she seems to tolerate it.
7. She wrote all our thank-you notes: Even to my friends and colleagues. How great is she?
9. She has incredibly low standards when it comes to husbands: See number 1 and 4
10. She puts up with my nonsense: See numbers 1-9
11. She knows it's the thought that counts: Isn't a blog entry a much better gift than flowers, jewelry or a vacation?
12. Her smile is the first thing I see every morning: As long as I see that, I know it'll be a great day. Unless we have to go to the flea market.
|Paul Starke is an Emmy-winning TV producer, and a co-writer of the #1 New York Times bestseller, An Inconvenient Book.|