The Secret Your Man Isn't Telling You About Your Body

We recently ran a story called "Brits Like 'Em Big" about a U.K. fashion magazine's eye-opening survey, revealing that British men prefer women with a little meat on their bones--an American size 10 to be exact. But do dudes across the U.S. feel the same way?

brits_like_em_big_slash.jpg

The story caused quite a stir on this side of the pond. We were pretty satisfied with the results until we thought--wait, do American guys feel that way? And if they do, why the hell are we always dieting?

We went on a mission and put together a range of eight bikini-clad body types (see our Body Type Board below) and hit the streets.

bodythumb2.jpg

We surveyed more than 2000 men and women in New York, Los Angeles and the Midwest--and, it didn't matter whether they were on the East Coast, West Coast, or smack in the middle of the country--men and women (overwhelmingly) chose the same body type as their favorite. Can you guess which one?

To see which body type men like best, click here for PAGE 2.

Click on the gallery below to see all our models and their sizes--and tell us who you think has the best body.

Related Galleries

next: Leave Those Kids Alone
Anonymous September 5, 2008, 11:48 AM

I hate this size 0 is no good garbage. I am 4’11 and weigh about 98 lbs. I have a natural C cup and I have curves. I wear either a 0 or a 1 and it looks good. I don’t eat meat but besides that I don’t deprive myself. So why is that such a problem. There are plenty of petite looking women with curves, we may not be overweight, but why in the world is being a size 10 so acceptable. On some women it would be unhealthy.

Me,myself and I September 5, 2008, 11:50 AM

Well, my opinion is that it don’t matter how big you are, it’s about how you carry yourself… Most people are so brainwashed about what is beautiful that and whats not. Big women are beautiful too. If i were a man I would rather be with a bigger women with a good attitude/personality than with a smaller women who is a B**** and thinks that she is better than everybody else. I myself am a size 3, but like I said it’s all about the way you carry yourself and your attitude.

Size 5 gal September 5, 2008, 12:08 PM

I’m a size 5 and very curvy I have a skinny waist with a booty…All my life I was always obsessed with my weight and would diet to get down to a size O but every boyfriend I ever had would say I was too skinny at a 0 they all perferred more meat. Even today at a size 5 I will complain I look fat but when I say that everyone, guys and gals always ask me where am I fat that it’s all in my head…be proud of who you are no matter what size…because these types of studies are dangerous to young woman…I am living proof…but I am getting better at accepting myself I’m just not quiet all the way there yet.

george September 5, 2008, 12:10 PM

HUH?

mandy September 5, 2008, 12:32 PM

I agree with the majority of individuals who have brought up four very valid points that make this “experiment” unfounded.

1) The postures are not uniform. Model 1 stands out from among all of them because she is the only model with her limbs sexily posed in front of body. All other models have their arms to their sides or behind them. It subtly draws subconscious attention.

2) The female shapes are not consistent. To be accurate, you would need models size 0-18 from the following categories: apple-shape, pear-shape, and hour glass. You cannot compare a pear-shape against an hour glass shape, because each shape carries weight differently.

3) The ages of these women are not consistent. You cannot compare the body of an eighteen year old to the body of a thirty year old.

4) The bathing suits are not consistent. Again, if the categories were based on the categorical shapes, there would be three designated suits for each of the body shapes that would either flatter or unflatter all of the women in the category - not just some.

Mike September 5, 2008, 12:56 PM

The test showed different people which automatically takes away from this be a controlled test. There are too many other reasons why a person selected their model. Would you believe even the models all have different skin tone? Because they did this, the test brings into place many things like who is the best looking. Almost everyone prefers the first because she is basically a model. Last time I checked models can come in all sizes but in this test she appears to be model 1 at least to me, which is my point. I shouldn’t be even thinking about that because it is not the test. The test is what size you like and that is all that it should have the ability to test. If there is a way to use the same person and somehow make them different sizes or show a silhouette you would see dramatically different results. ML needs a new writer.

Northstreet1 September 5, 2008, 1:25 PM

Nothing wrong with any of them so I choose not to decide …. Women you have to love them !

dennis September 5, 2008, 1:39 PM

#5 is perfect.and #8 isn’t anything to throw out of bed either, who in their right mind would want #1 . give me a little meat with my potatoes please, not the whole cow though.

Amy September 5, 2008, 1:41 PM

This hoopla is not only offensive to most women, but is just the type of garbage to send more than a few lovely young ladies into an eating disorder fenzy. Haven’t you folks done your homework on anorexia and bulimia?

NevRsetL4less September 5, 2008, 1:45 PM

Since when is a size 10 a large woman?? Good Lord what have we come to that a size 0 is the perfect size and plastic is better? What the hell even is a size 0? I would love to be a “fat” size 10. Get real there are more of us “fat” people than there are size 0 unhealthy, unhappy girls.

NevRsetL4less September 5, 2008, 1:48 PM

Nicole September 5, 2008, 7:52 PM

I am a BBW (big beautiful woman) I have never ever had any problems finding a man!! I am happily married for 6years I still get offers!! I think some men here are typing what they want you to think and what they believe society will approve. I must admit though very rarely does a day go by that i do not get a positive comment or someone making a pass at me, hmmm where are all of these men. And i dont see a true BBW on this list of woman to judge would it be because society looks down upon it even though almost half of American would be considered overweight. Also what do these men look lik that are putting judgement upon these woman, oh i am sure they are all Mr.Universes and would only be with a perfect size 0 with DD’s.. Yeah right!!! Maybe they need to look in the mirror and reflect on themselves. All women are beautiful and should not be judged on there appearances!!!

Emily September 5, 2008, 9:34 PM

WHAT BS! This “survey” is hopelessly rigged for the reasons many have described. Clearly it was designed to obtain a result that would make insecure women feel worse about themselves. This was my first visit to momlogic and it will definitely be my last. This condescending, insulting website is not worth the time of any intelligent woman.

kayla September 6, 2008, 1:00 AM

It is not the weight Up to certain point-it’s not that simple! It is the aesthetic- the shape, the line, the proportion etc. ( I’m an artist,but I think non artists, male and female would agree with me) Model 1 is thinner but has a very sexy curvy well proportioned shape and nice lines to her body.( BTW It IS possible a girl could be thinner and naturally bosomy as well- there are some women built that way, haters!) Model 5 has a very nice shape as well although she is heavier- it is distributed well and she has curves in the right places. You can be big and heavy and look like an block of cheese because you have no waist and a flat butt Being bigger does not necessarily make you more sexually appealing. Also you can be thin and not be attractive at all because your proportion is off or you have no curves. ( example model #2) Weight for the most part is nothing but a number.

Lala September 6, 2008, 3:12 PM

One think I have to say about most of these ladies (maybe not the size 18) is really they are all pretty tight. OK, not perfect, but they are not really extremely flabby looking at all.

Have you REALLY looked at women on the beach, in the store, in the gym, on the street??? Hanging arms, roll upon roll, arms floppy and hanging??

I work in a fitness center, and I see all types of women all day long, women with 3 bellies, and some really serious stretchmarks and cheese.

These pics are not retouched (at least they certainly do not seem to be). I think the women in the numbers 3-6 (and number 8 too) are not in the awful shape some have said under their photos, they look like regular people, and I give kudos to them for appearing to scrutiny this way!!! I bet all of them look completely fine in clothing. I know I would not have done this! They are brave!

RM September 7, 2008, 2:07 PM

Who really thinks this photo array was scientific? It is obviously biased.

I agree with the others that #1 is the only one in a coquettish pose. Hell yeah… she’s toned, smooth, and blemish free. Her breasts are round and firm and pushed forward, presenting themselves to you. Her legs are open (none of the others are) inviting you in.
And she seems just a little shy and ready to take your lead.

I think that the whole world is brainwashed by the visual immagery that we are innundated with. Sure some, no, few, are gifted with great beauty but most of the would is average and that includes you buffoons who think that you are buff. Why don’t we just line up the less that perfect and force mass sterilization on them. We will only allow the beautiful people to procreate. How long do you think that it will take the world to right itself?

Oh wait, this is not about procreation, its about recreation. So sterilize everyone and just do the GATTICA thing. And then no more ugliness will be befall the world from all the mindless recreating.

What kind of site is this anyway?? called momlogig—— with a headline “The Secret Your Man Isn’t Telling You About Your Body”

Is this site run by “mean girls”?

NKECHIKA September 10, 2008, 4:15 AM

i want to have my own husband and that is why i want to now the secret of man becouse man in this nowdays are wicked. please send it through my E-mail Address. thank you

Lisa October 1, 2008, 12:07 PM

Model number 1 is the only one in the group posed awkwardly, with her arms across her stomach as though she was hiding or ashamed of her body. It makes her appear to be less attractive. Unfortunate ploy, I would pick her regardless, because she looks more athletic than the others. Little to do with weight. You can be in shape and quite heavy. Next time, pose all of the models the same way so that you are not so obviously trying to skew the results. It is disappointing that you seem to assume your viewers are stupid.

Cathy October 15, 2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks to articles like this we all are fat if we are not a size 0. I do not really care what most mens ideal womens size and shape are most of us are not like that so I hope they have a second choice in mind.

Lila January 17, 2009, 2:49 PM

I think this would have been fairer had all the girls had the same body shape. These are all shapes, but only one from each size. It’s really a bad judge of opinions on size, imho.