Idaho Fans Say Cheerleaders Are Too Sexy

University of Idaho cheerleaders are giving their uniforms a more modest makeover after fans complained they showed too much skin.

idaho vandals cheerleaders uniforms

Less than a month into the football season, the University of Idaho Vandals are switching up their cheerleader uniforms after spectators complained the outfits were slutty!

"A number of fans were concerned that the uniforms were inappropriate," said Bruce Pitman, U of I Dean of Students. "To be fair, there were a number of fans who liked them."

Pitman compared the outfits, comprised of halter tops and short black skirts with white trim, to what an NFL cheerleader might wear.

The $4200 uniforms were purchased from the squad's own account, part of which is funded from student fees. The squad has ordered new $2200 uniforms with private money.

Squad adviser Shelly Robson says the new uniform is black and silver and features a more modest halter top and a skirt that is 6" longer.

Earlier this season, the Vandals football team removed the school logo from the seat of players' pants.

Do you think the school went too far?

Are your kids' uniforms crossing the line? Send us your photos -- we might post them on momlogic!

Related Galleries

next: Crash Victim's Stepbrother Killed a Month Ago
foxymama September 23, 2008, 5:17 PM

Have the people complaining ever been cheerleaders - you can’t flip around, build pyramids, cheer in the heat - in a full on sweat suit.
COME ON!

brad September 23, 2008, 5:55 PM

What is slutty about these girls? They look like very conservative young women to me

Anonymous September 23, 2008, 6:13 PM

whores!! each and every one of them!!!!

LOL

Myra September 23, 2008, 6:29 PM

I think they look good. They are in shape and cheering the team on. It’s not like they are giving the money shot

pb September 23, 2008, 6:31 PM

Come on people. Celebrate one of Gods gift that is the female form and then move on. Those who would call these girls slutty whores need to address there own insecurities. Quit being stupid.

flyeaglefly September 23, 2008, 9:04 PM

I believe that these young ladies are old enough to make their own decions on what they should wear or not wear. Dont leave it up to some old grand ma to make up their minds for them.

Modern Culture September 24, 2008, 12:08 AM

To say that these as ‘cheerleader’ outfits is too scandalous is, to say the least, asinine.

This isn’t 1952, and Notre Dame sure as hell isn’t in the national title hunt. Get over it, or stop watching college football. I’ve seen less clothing worn at the bars on campus for god’s sake.

RJ September 24, 2008, 2:11 AM

Sheesh. The morality police is at it again. Absolutely nothing wrong with these outfits. But to make the myopic prudes happy, they can switch to pastel-colored prairie dresses. That would make the entire state of Idaho proud.

Earl September 24, 2008, 3:06 AM

Maybe they should put the old outfits up for bids on e-bay to recoop there losses. But really these outfits are definitely not too revealing, who are they kidding??

Paul September 24, 2008, 12:58 PM

Very conservative, I think.

Nick September 24, 2008, 1:42 PM

Perhaps if the cheerleaders came to their next game dressed in Hijab it would put a perspective on our views. Our culture is afraid of everything, including our own bodies.

Beauford T Walldrip September 24, 2008, 3:17 PM

He’s my proposal for their new uniforms: http://www.alhannah.com/products/ab265.html

Buzz September 24, 2008, 4:27 PM

What do the parents think the girls are out on the field for? Calling the defensive plays? They’re out there to encourage attendance to the game. How? By showing some butt and bust!! Get a life…get over it!!!

Betty September 24, 2008, 7:29 PM

My husband came home and told me the story. We had to follow up and see for ourselves. I do not see anything wrong with the outfits. It looks like normal cheerleading garb to me. I am sure a lot more people are ok with the outfits than not. Come on people…loosen up a little. If the person wearing the outfit feels uncomfortable in the outfit get her one that covers up more if needed. If she is comfortable and able to preform better in the outfits, I say “Let them”. Go Team!!!

RegularJoe September 27, 2008, 4:25 AM

These are college cheerleaders. That makes them adult women, not girls. If these were 14 year old high school freshmen, then the unis might be a bit much.

Telling adult women what’s “too sexy” for them to wear is sexist and insulting.

Jolene September 27, 2008, 12:33 PM

You have got to be kidding!! Some people have nothing better to do then complain. My daughter is 16 and been cheerleading since she was 6 and if she was on a college squad I wouldn’t mind her wearing that uniform. I think All Star squads with younger girls wear less then that. You girls should continue to wear those uniforms they look great!!!

Hedrick September 28, 2008, 4:25 PM

Of apparent greater concern is the $4200 paid for the uniforms (I assume the price is for each).

Someone sure “saw the purchasers coming.”

Even $2200 is obscene.

~undefined November 9, 2008, 4:51 AM

The uniforms are not slutty anyway, what is slutty is the one that shows the breasts(not just the clevage but almost the whole of it) and yes, the cheerdancers are wearing bras, so what could make their uniforms slutty that you won’t even see their bras

cheergirl May 26, 2009, 8:02 PM

This isnt as slutty as some of the All-star cheerleaders that are teenagers. These are no where near slutty in my book. As a former cheerleader ive worn way worse at a way younger age. And they are only mad because they dont look like them.!

Lilathe May 27, 2009, 11:34 AM

I personally don’t want my young boys looking at this. Pre-sexualization of small children has life-long damaging psychological effects. If they want to wear uniforms like this, then they need to pole dance at an adult only place, not a supposedly “family friendly” game. Pick —- is it a pole dance or a football game.