Corn Syrup is Good for Kids!

At least that's what the Corn Refiners Association wants you to believe...

In new viral video, a holier-than-thou mom says, "Wowwww. You don't care what the kids eat, huh?" to another mom at a kid's birthday party. Ouch. But instead of throwing a punch or going off on the offensive mother (like we'd want to do), the attacked woman explains that corn syrup is just fine in moderation.

Parentdish says this is the most recent ad from SweetSurprise.com, a website put out by the Corn Refiners Association to ease parents' minds about the dangers of high fructose corn syrup.

Check it out:

They can tell us whatever they want, but we're not drinking the Kool-Aid. How about you?

next: Group Boycotts Oprah for Palin Diss
Stephanie September 15, 2008, 2:22 PM

I could not believe this commercial when I first saw it. It amazed me that they would try to say high fructose corn syrup is actually not bad for you. Prior to seeing the add I cut back on the amount of high fructose corn syrup my family eats along with mono-triglycerides and all trans fats in general. I think alot of peoople are doing this and it’s really making the corn growers nervous. Don’t get me wrong, I support the corn growers of America but I think there are better ways to use it. Supposedly we are the only country that adds these trans fats to our food.

AK Mom September 15, 2008, 3:53 PM

I was shocked to this ad! Moms have a difficult enough time with controlling the sweets that our kids eat and now we have a TV ad telling our kids that mom (& dad) are wrong?!?

About 2 years ago I had high cholesterol & high glucose. I was nearly diabetic and my doc want to put me on Lipator. Instead I changed my diet by cutting out foods with trans fats & (you guessed it!) High Fructose Corn Syrup and replaced them with foods that have good fats and REAL sugar. Cause really who can cut out all sweet & fats? And the end result is normal cholesterol and normal glucose levels!

This commercial is simply irresponsible!

Stephanie - Green SAHM September 15, 2008, 6:11 PM

Wow. Talk about ignoring everything not in your favor. Sure it’s just another form of sugar, but too many people take in something that far exceeds moderation.

Sure, for the occasional birthday party or some such, no big deal. But even then I’d just as soon avoid it. That’s why I long ago cut sodas and such out of my diet, aside from occasional treats.

It’s a bit more work, but preparing fresh food has some definite rewards. It can be a fun family effort too.

Pearl September 15, 2008, 6:18 PM

I agree with AK Mom! We as parents really need to remember it’s buyer beware out there!

Seriously, is there any REAL reason to add high fructose corn syrup other than to make us sick and obese?

Anonymous September 15, 2008, 9:31 PM

the science is clear - there is NO difference in calories, or how our bodies digest. Did you see anything about consuming more? the ads are helping to explain it is the same as sugar - while food companies go on and on saying “no HFCS” getting us to think it is more healthful when it is not. I have master’s in nutrition and am also concerned that we all consume too much added sugars, but HFCS is not the “evil” too many make it out to be

Jedimom September 15, 2008, 9:57 PM

That commercial made me laugh out loud. Oh sure, HFCS is “perfectly safe in moderation.” That’s the problem. When HFCS is one of the first ingredients in most processed and packaged foods, you’re consuming far more than your realize.

Greg Turner September 16, 2008, 5:46 AM

I agree with those who have said HFC is probably fine in moderation. The problem is being able to moderate it in our diets. I feed my family mostly fresh ingredients from the perimeter of the grocery store and do my best to eschew processed foods. We do a pretty good job.

However, recent studies have indicated that HFC produces a particular kind of fat build-up in which the fat centers in and around the organs, which ends up being much worse than the normal fat buildup we would see from refined sugar or other natural sweeteners.

Sara DowntoEarth September 17, 2008, 2:31 PM

Moderation is the key. So (good point, anonymous nutritioun-person) is misleading labels. I find it worse that companies are labelling food “No HCFS” to get people to buy something that is still waaaay bad as a staple part of the diet.

The worst thing I see about HCFS is that when an item lists 3 or 4 kinds of sweeteners in its ingredient list, it often masks just how much “sugar” is in there.

And do I buy Kool-Aid? No, but I’m more concerned about the color than the corn-syrup!

Audrae Erickson September 18, 2008, 1:30 PM

High fructose corn syrup may have a complicated-sounding name, but it’s actually a simple sweetener, made from corn, that is nutritionally the same as sugar.

High fructose corn syrup is not sweeter than sugar, it’s not higher in calories and it’s not metabolized differently than sugar.

The American Medical Association in June 2008 helped put to rest misunderstandings about this sweetener and obesity, stating that “high fructose corn syrup does not appear to contribute to obesity more than other caloric sweeteners.”

Consumers can see the latest research and learn more about high fructose corn syrup at www.HFCSfacts.com and www.SweetSurprise.com.

Audrae Erickson
Corn Refiners Association

M.L. September 20, 2008, 11:19 PM

I buy very little with High fructose corn syrup, it’s not good. Also watch out for red food dyes, they cause seizures in my 7-year-old.

Alex September 22, 2008, 1:29 PM

This commercial is simply irresponsible!
______________________________

I agree wholely and I believe that by hiding the truth so intentionally, they are directly lying to the consumer. I may be a kid (I’m in high school), but I still know that it involves using enzymatic processes to change the corn, so it truly isn’t “all natural”. They could be sued for saying that because Splenda was sued for a similar thing (Splenda is sugar that undergoes a chemical reaction to change hydroxide groups to chloride groups and so they said, “Made from sugar so it tastes like sugar”. However, after undergoing a chemical reaction, this is a blatant misstatement just like what the Corn Refiners are saying).

Sudhir September 23, 2008, 1:29 PM

Corn Syrup is Lab created using Genetically Modified Corn. In tests, mice got it’s kidneys damaged due to HFCS.
Why take risk. Don’t buy anything with CornSyrup in it. Write to companies to change. They stopped using TransFat, so we can do this too.
HFCS is a slow poison, Period.