Men Who Manscape

A new trend has men waxing "down there." Has this metrosexual thing gone too far?

manscaping.jpg
As the lines between male and female beauty treatments continue to blur, the next step has gone south.

Way down south.

What has in the past been reserved exclusively for women and gay men has started to become a hetrosexual request known in the waxing biz as "back, sack and crack."  Ouch.  Amy K. Pearson, owner of Wax Studio in Los Angeles, says about one in five men that come in her studio are straight and are getting more than just their pubic hair, scrotom and butt area waxed: "We do penis waxing too," says Pearson,  "but we're not that kind of place. Men shouldn't think they're going to get a "happy ending" when they get waxed."

All men aren't flocking to waxing studios to keep themselves neat and trim. A recent survey says 60% of men trim their pubic area at home.

Is it really necessary for a man to be hairless?  Isn't one of the things we like about guys is they don't look like us? Or are smooth guys sexier?

next: Kids Can Be Awful People
Jill September 22, 2008, 4:28 PM

YES YES YES! We want to see the merchandise after the aisle has been cleaned up!

Amy Dutton September 22, 2008, 4:28 PM

Some men are rather hairy, so if we’re talking about them, I’d say it’s about time. But I think for the average man … this is going a bit too far.

what's good for the goose...? September 22, 2008, 4:34 PM

being a gal who recently switched from razor to wax … I gotta say… DAM! That’s gotta hurt!!

birdsfly September 22, 2008, 4:38 PM

my husband isn’t a gorilla or anything but some days I could do without the bit of back fur he has. Other then that well trimmed is preferred to umm… man-fro. eww.

Nicole  September 22, 2008, 4:39 PM

Ouch! That’s gotta hurt!

a. September 22, 2008, 5:17 PM

I don’t get people’s obsession with being fur-free. children are fur-free. why do you want to look like that?! why is that attractive?!
I don’t mind pubes at all, as long as they’re well-maintained. trimmed and decent is fine. once it gets kind of forest-y…

Mrs B September 22, 2008, 7:25 PM

It’s nice not having a hairy monster to deal with. Bushes are so 70’s.

Jodi September 22, 2008, 8:21 PM

Actually, I’m more interested in what men have to say about how “tidied up” their female partners are. I’m getting from the commenters that we’re all supposed to be shaved and waxed to model perfection. Since when is pubic hair on adults such a turnoff??

Tammy September 23, 2008, 7:01 AM

Dr Oz was on Oprah one day and said that pubic hair serves a purpose, it keeps things out. I don’t understand this new obsession myself.

Laurie September 23, 2008, 8:08 AM

I prefer a guy who takes the time to clean up some of his pubes. It makes for a much less messy time… but waxing or completely shaving is a bit over the edge (and look prepubescent).

Lizzette September 23, 2008, 8:10 AM

Personally, I’d prefer to have the pubic hair down there on him. Of course, neatly trimmed. If you’re “sitting on him” during sex it serves its purpose for clitoral stimulation (if you’re doing it right). I could only see a guy waxing it all off if he’s doing one of those Mr. Olympia type contests.

Miss India September 23, 2008, 10:31 AM

I like guys with the hair. I do NOT like the baby smooth..it’s too feminine.

praying4baby#2 September 23, 2008, 11:08 AM

My hubby and I both stay waxed!! We love it!! Foreplay is so much more interesting!!

W September 23, 2008, 1:36 PM

I love hairy guys! I think it is so sexy. Much more masculine than not. There is nothing like running your hands through a really hairy chest. And if you are that hairy, why bother with the other area. I like being with a man, not a boy, which is what all these hairless men look like. No thank you! My hubby is extremely hairy, I love it and let him know it too :)

shavedguy September 24, 2008, 9:16 AM

We’re both shaved (don’t see any reason to wax when can shave at home for free) and have been for years (about fifteen). We think it is much sexier, makes things much more sensitive and easier to see, and you never get hair in your teeth.

happy girl November 14, 2008, 12:07 AM

my man’s an italian so he’s got the course dark hair to prove it.
he’s groomed down south but i wouldn’t mind seeing his junk without the fuzz since i’m usually so particular in shaving for him (:
i’m interested in waxing everything as well, it just looks so much cleaner and damn. when my man shaves his face? omg it’s buttery smooth and turns me on like whoa sliding my hands down his pretty face.
i can imagine down south would be similar but i also know it’s obnoxious how fast you lose that smoothness… it’s not exactly like it’s a one time deal so on that note, as long as it’s maintained and groomed for me i’m very happy he’s still willing and conscious about looking good for me. (:

kyle April 8, 2010, 11:59 PM

it seems there is a much larger female perspective in the comments,
As a man although, i believe the south-fro is not only frightening but uncomfortable on hot days and during sex. i have personally kept everything buzz cut stile so far but still think it is to long, but don’t want to cut to low because of the horrible Itch that follows. as a man i would prefer it smooth but would not be willing to compromise the fact that i am not a cute boy but a man
opinions are appreciated
-kyle

pete January 28, 2011, 12:37 PM

i have been shaving for years i love it and so does my partner and i have gotten several looks at the gym in the showers i was one that did shave now there is alot more and they come over to thank me dont know why but i could tell by the look they gave me when they came out of the shower they were happy to see what i started the shaving trend