Elizabeth Edwards Doesn't Trust John

The wife of former senator John Edwards breaks her silence in a surprising new interview.

John and Elizabeth Edwards

Elizabeth Edwards breaks her silence to the Detroit Free Press about her husband's affair with campaign worker Rielle Hunter.

According to Elizabeth, trust and forgiveness remain unresolved.

"When you mention trust, that's probably the most difficult issue," the 59-year-old Edwards said.

One thing Elizabeth, who is suffering from breast cancer, would not say is if she had forgiven her husband. "I don't want to feed the monster, if you don't mind."

But she did offer this as an explanation:

If she had to amputate a leg she says people wouldn't ask her, "Are you over that leg yet?"

Elizabeth also said that she didn't want their three children, ages 26, 10 and 8 to think badly of their father, adding that she wants her children to view him in a positive light.

"I need to create the picture for them that I want them to have," she said, pointing to John's past charity work.

She also said John's confession forced her to concentrate on the important things in life, saying her children are "the center of my life."

On the positive side, Elizabeth said she was starting to bounce back from all the publicity that surrounded the affair, saying, "it's an ongoing process of finding your feet again ... There's a lot of adjustment to make."

David Duchovny Jim Bakker

next: Good Thing Sarah Palin is White
David September 18, 2008, 5:00 PM

The comments above are so very saddening because they simply lack any caring. What has happened to humans? How can someone’s pain not affect you at all? Have you ever loved someone, loved your life with them, had trust the way that two people can, and then suddenly have your entire world changed for the negative? Regardless of who these people are, how can you feel nothing but smugness? And what’s even worse is Ms. Edwards is terminally ill. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Becky September 18, 2008, 5:02 PM

She’s taking the high road for real, as usual, it seems to me. I guess some mistakenly think that a mother’s trashing a father to her children is the healthiest thing she could do for their emotional well-being? Get real! I believe I would file for divorce and try to be the best single mom I could be each day I have with my children, but the children need a father, too, and he would need to be the best he could be. We would both be flawed as all humans, including our children. We just do our best!

Paul Chen September 18, 2008, 5:08 PM

What if Edward was the Demo presidential nominee? Would it be a nightmare? He could destroy the PARTY!

Chris September 18, 2008, 5:19 PM

Since her kids are all she has left, and she may leave them motherless soon, she is trying to do ONE decent thing by positioning their father in the best possible light, given that he’ll be a single parent. That is a gift. Her children, as they grow older, will recognize it for what it was and will appreciate her for it. She has every right to be angry and bitter, but IMHO, she’s keeping her eye on the ball.

e September 18, 2008, 5:22 PM

What DLL? - are you serious - John McCain’s affair is a FACT

praying4baby#2 September 18, 2008, 11:11 PM

I FEEL TERRIBLE FOR HER. IMAGINE HAVING A TERMINAL ILLNESS AND YOUR HUSBAND CHEATS ON YOU FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO WATCH?!!

Faithful husband September 18, 2008, 11:49 PM

LMAO at DLL:

@ Bill. What are you talking about? Talk about spin

They get a free pass because this is America. Innocent till proven guilty. Not guilty because Bill thinks they “probably” done it also.

OCMom September 19, 2008, 12:15 AM

If I could talk to Elizabeth Edwards, I’d love to know what went down during the conversation in which they agreed to keep the affair on the down-low and still pursue the presidency. Were they really so naive as to think this wouldn’t come out? Did her desire to serve the country—with whatever time she has left—outweigh any concerns about the media or the court of public opinion? Or was it just plain hubris?

We no longer live in a world where politicians’ personal lives are off-limits. The Edwardses knew that, and yet they continued the campaign, taking second in Iowa and a considerable number of votes in several other primaries. What was she thinking?

Jasmine September 19, 2008, 8:42 AM

Really Bill? You are stupid…Get your facts straight first, by the way. You are just spreading more lies just like others we’ve heard from. You should be ashamed of yourself Bill. And who gives a crap about John Edwards. I feel bad for his wife. She should’ve divorced his butt. I wouldn’t stay with a cheating good for nothing!

kikibush September 19, 2008, 8:48 AM

John has showed a very bad example. If I were Elizabeth, politician wife or not, I would certainly divorce him and move on with my life. What was he thinking. With an ill wife and a campaign he must be seriously ill.

Candymancan September 19, 2008, 10:05 PM

IMO John Edwards couldn’t care less about the woman who set her claws on him when she thought she had her pot of gold. I believe he was using her, but he truly loves his wife. The baby was a trap and it is not working because John Edwards is a cold hearted snake. He already has a family who stands by him, this new kid is just another kid. Now that it’s all out in the open, he longer has to coaxed the fortune Hunter to silence, so I doubt that he cares anymore. When Elizabeth leaves this world, I am sure he will be set to find himself a high society woman who can help repair his political image - not this “new wave/good energy Gandhi worshipper”.

opal johnson September 25, 2008, 2:15 PM

I THINK JOHN EDWARDS IS THE MOST DISGUSTING PERSON I HAVE EVER SEEN HE IS SUCH A FRAUD IT MAKES ONE SICK TO THEIR STOMACH TO EVEN LOOK A HIS FACE. I DON’T SEE HOW HIS MISTRESS STANDS TO LOOK AT HIM NOR HOW HE CAN STAND TO LOOK AT HER. THE BUMS DESERVE ONE ANOTHER. JUST GLAD HE WAS NEVER ELECTED AS MY PRESIDENT - THANK GOD FOR THAT SINCERELY.

Colin Forge February 22, 2011, 9:04 PM

Pretty portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim that I get actually loved account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing in your augment or even I fulfillment you access constantly fast.